The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
kraigwy

SST Vs. Interbond

There has been reports that the SST, though extremely accurate, and has the BC needed for long range shooting, that the jacket sometimes seperates on large game.

Don't know if its true, but who wants to take a chance on elk.

Hornady also says the SST and IB have the same BC, or will shot the same point of aim.

I loading for this years elk hunting using my Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win. using 150 grns Hornady's.

I loaded up some SSTs and IBs with 50 grns of IMR 4350.

Yeap, hornady is right. The velocity is the same (averaging 2883) and they do infact shoot the same point of aim, or same zero. Or at least they do at 100, 200, and 300 yards.

I see no reason why they would be different at extended ranges but latter in the week I'll try them to 1000 yards ans see.

But it doesn't matter as long as they shoot the same up to 300 because that's as far as I shoot when hunting.

A bit over kill but I'll try the 150 IBs on deer and antelope the 1st of Oct, in preperation for the Oct 15th elk openning.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 14, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
hoghunting

I use the 165 gr Interbond in a 300 WSM, and not only is it extremely accurate, it is a very effective hunting bullet. While elk are large animals, they don't have a gristle plate like a 300 lb hog and the Interbond is deadly on hogs. Good luck this season.
Old September 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
snuffy

Tee SST will INDEED separate the jacket and core on a solid body hit . If you take The classic through the ribs shot, it'll most likely hold together---but you'll never know, it's out the off side never to be seen.

The IB on the other hand, will never loose it's jacket. It can't! The jacket is bonded to the lead. Weight retention is 85% or better when fired into water jugs @ 100 yards.

That's a 165 .308 IB from my 300 WSM @ 100 yds, 3125 fps MV.

That's whats left of a 154 SST from a 7mm mag. jacket and lead fragments just under the hide on the back side of the front shoulder of a 150 pound yearling whitetail. Jacket and fragments weighed 70 grains IIRC. Range was about 75 YDS.

Bullet barely visible, did NOT exit the deer.

You'll get a bigger mushroom with an interbond. That limits penetration just a bit, BUT the increased weight retention balances out.

Noslers accu-bond has a smaller frontal expansion, but looses a lot more weight. Retention is around 65%.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 14, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4
dunerjeff

I liked the interbond for whiteails out of my .280's and a 25-06. For elk I go strickly with Barnes triple shocks or the current variation. I shot a bull almost head on with a .270WSM @85yrds, I found the bullet right between the rear quarter,after going threw the main leg bone and four ribs, perfect mushroom and 97% of it was still there. I really like them.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
browninghunter86

Either one is a great bullet. Have used both of them out of my 270 win and great performance. Interbond is overkill for avg whitetail I believe but for larger game it would be good I think.

Also used the GMX line last season and results were amazing.
Old September 14, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
AllenJ

I think you are making the right choice not using SST's for elk Kraigwy, I've heard the same thing about them coming apart. I've never used bonded core bullets, always Nosler Partitons or Barnes and have no complaints on either.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:05 PM   #7
brokenanew

I dont hunt so I can t reply as to which will be more effective on game. However I will vouch for accuracy with the 165gr SSTs. With the right grain load (44gr. Every other load was throwing them everywhere) I got just over .5" group with my .308 remmy
Old September 14, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
farmerboy

Can't comment on the IB or Elk. But whitetail my 30-06 and 308s love Varget and SSTs 165 grain. Don't know about jackets separating either. I know all the whitetails I shoot drop and they're extremely accurate out to 300 yards. I love the SSTs myself.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
GeauxTide

The Magic Number is 3000 MV

As referenced above with the 154 in a 7mmMag, standard bullets just don't hold up past 3000MV, which is also my personal experience. I loaded a friends '06 (an OLD 722) with 150 Interlocks at 2700. Made golf ball exits up to 200 at most any angle. I am, however, in complete agreement in using a stouter bullet on Elk. IBs for me.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
grubbylabs

This has been good information as I am developing loads for a 308 and a 300 win.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 14, 2012, 09:39 PM   #11
603Country

If I was hunting Elk with my 270, I'd go with a 150 grain bullet and it would probably be a Nosler Partition or something equally stoutly constructed.

But, Elk do violate my youthful promise to myself (in the preATV days) to never shoot anything too big to drag.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:47 PM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
never shoot anything too big to drag
I don't drag or pack elk. I'm too old for that crap.

Old September 14, 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Bush Pirate

I have had a sst seperate on a whitetail. Shot was about 75-100 yds. Broad side through heart/lungs. Using 165 grn sst out of 30-06 about 2900 fps. The jacket was against the hide on opposite side. There was two exit holes niether very big. Inside was blown up pretty good. I switched back to interlocks, and will not use a sst for hunting again.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
math teacher

While I agree with the recommendations for the Nosler partition and the
Barnes triple shock for elk, don't dismiss the Nosler Accubond either. My friends and I have killed 19 moose with the 160 gr. 7mm Accubond. We only recovered a few since they normally penetrate clear through. The few that we did recover were nicely mushroomed and ran a consistant 70% weight retention. If they will shoot through a moose with one shot kills, they will certainly do the job on elk. I killed several elk with the old Nosler solid base and that was not even bonded.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
hooligan1

Try an Accubond Sir, they shoot beautifully out of my rifles, but they don't have a 150 grain just 130-140's. so I don't know if this helps, I'v had super accurate results with all I use. can I ride that horse...
Old September 17, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Jbotto

Wow, I was late to this thread, but some highly useful information. I was planning on going with a slightly cheaper bullet for MN Whitetails than the 165 GMX. Was looking at the SST's and the normal Interlock. Hearing about all of this, with the SST's I'm not too impressed. Thanks for the advice!
Old September 17, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17
snuffy

This thread has had the same topic drift that usually occurs when someone asks a specific question about 2 different bullets. Some will always say, neither of your choices is any good, use x,y, or z bullet.

A couple of answers to unasked questions, or false statements. The SST IS an interlock bullet. I has the same ring at the base as the normal interlock Hornady bullet. The BIG difference is; it is essentially a hollow point boat tail bullet, with a red polycarbonate tip in it. It expands rapidly after first contact with anything. The normal interlock bullet is an exposed lead tip that opens more slowly.

Whitetail deer are not all that hard to kill. Real simple, they die quite nicely with any good heart/lung hit with an expanding bullet. Millions have bit the dust when hit with a 30/30 150 grain flat nosed soft point. Shooting fancy bonded or copper solid bullets, get the deer but is not needed. The above poster that found the expanded SST jacket in the hide, I would bet that deer didn't go far, if he went anywhere.

My main complaint about fast expanding lead core bullets, is ruined bloodshot meat caused by excessive expansion. Bonded core bullets don't do that as much, AND as an added bonus, shed less lead fragments in the deers body.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #18
grubbylabs

Snuffy how did I know you were going to post something intelligent. That is good info. I guess I won't be using the SST but the regular interbond. Most of what I hunt is bigger than a white tail.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
kraigwy

We seem to miss that I'm talking about elk.

I have no problem using and do use 100 grn interlocks out of my 257 Roberts for deer and antelope.

I just want a bit more penetration with my 270 win on larget bull elk and I want the bullet to hold together. I also like the flat shooting of my 150 grn Interbond bullet.

I sight my 270 in at 275 yards. Its never more then 6 inchs low or high to 350 yards, well with in the 14-15 inch vital area of an elk.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #20
grubbylabs

Elk are also what I was thinking. I don't think that the SST would be an issue for speed goat or small deer but on larger game I think I would like to be a little safer and use a little bit better bullet.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 01:19 PM   #21
hooligan1

Get the Partition, it comes in 150 & 160...that would do nicely on elk.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Jimro

Anything over 2400 fps is well into "bullet shredding" territory on animals, bonded, partition, or copper bullets are your friends in that velocity range. On the flip side, if you use a big enough bullet, losing the jacket is academic...

Good hunting, hope you get an elk this year.

Jimro
Old September 18, 2012, 07:48 PM   #23
GeauxTide

Your horses

Are just lovely. Are you in the Guiding business????
Old September 18, 2012, 08:40 PM   #24
kraigwy

Quote:
Your horses

Are just lovely. Are you in the Guiding business????
Nope, just too old and lazy to pack out on my back any more.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #25
Bush Pirate

Snuffy that was the point i was trying to make both front shoulders were blown up badly. The sst worked very well for killing, but not real good for eating.