The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 21, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
skinsman

Just makin sure

Posted this in the wrong spot to start. First day to try BP tomorrow after work. Long time hunter and shoot, but first time BP. Navy arms .44 revolver.
35 grain FFFG?
Old September 21, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
arcticap

30-35 grains is good if you have a steel frame revolver and not loading 777 which is 15% faster. But even that would still be okay to load too.
Have fun, be safe, wear your shooting glasses.
Old September 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #3
skinsman

It is Hodgdon Triple 7. My gun guy told me it was the best for the money. So maybe Ill go with 30 huh? LOL Newbie, but dyin to get into it. I'll have a ton a questions as I go along. I need a rifle, one that can drop something 800 lbs at 100 yrds. :-) Thanks again guys.
Old September 22, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4
CajunPowder

I'm about to start shooting some myself as the weather cools here.

I plan to shoot the first cylinder with 20 grains of fffg at 10 yards offhand, one hand, so I can get to know her on a first name basis.

The next cylinder full will be 25 grains.
The next 28, then 30 grains of FFFG.

All at 10 yards just to get the feel of the gun and do a bit of fiddling with the target sights on this blue steel Pietta target Remington 1858 NMA.

======================

Then I'll wipe her down good if she isn't binding up before that.

======================

Then I'll start shooting a 20 yard target, offhand, a larger than normal target, probably a big piece of drywall with a dirt berm behind it and use a big magic marker to draw around the circumference of a trash can lid and then some concentric circles ...

Probably do a cylinder of 25, then 28, then 30 at that 20 yard drywall target.

======================

Then I'll have a go at a 30 yard target from a BAG REST, I'll probably sit down to do this one of course and get the sights as close to a good POA as possible, I'll try to determine if I'm going to need to file the bottom of the rear sight blade to lower it.

At 30 yards I'll probably do 25 grains, 28 grains and 30 grains ... as time permits of course.

======================

Then I'll fill an old shop towel with ice cubes and put it on any parts of my hand or arm that have been beat up by the little blue lady.

======================

WHAT ! I can't hear a darn thing you are saying ! Let me take my EAR PROTECTION off first,
Old September 22, 2010, 07:22 AM   #5
simonkenton

Lock and Load, Wild Bill!

These guns are lots of fun.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:20 AM   #6
wogpotter

Steel frame try 27~30 Gr of 3F, Brass frame go 15~20 max.
Most .44s seem to like a 27~30 gr load for accuracy with RB, but brass frames need a bit more TLC so the load is reduced to allow for the material.
(Cut 'n paste is my best friend!)
Old September 22, 2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsman
I need a rifle, one that can drop something 800 lbs at 100 yrds.
Kinda heavy for an elk... cow or smallish bull moose? African game?

A .45-70 will work fine at a hundred yards. But then again, so will most anything from a .270 on up, if placed correctly. I'm really liking the .325 WSM over a .30 cal for such critters, but at that range, I might opt for the heavier 405 - 530 grain bullets in a .45-70, depending on the rifle. Are you talking black powder only? Black powder cartridge? Muzzle loader only?

SASS 47015
Old September 22, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8
dgray64

You will have a lot of fun with it! Start around 25g and go up.

One thing you haven't mentioned is safety sealing. Are you planning to use wads or cover the balls and end of the cylinder with crisco or lard? These guns are known for running "chain- fire". That is, firing one round ignites two or three or more other cylinder loads. If you use wads under the ball or cover the end with crisco you will prevent this dangerous act. Wads are easier and less messy. You can imagine trying to wipe crisco off your fingers after reloading and then trying to grip the gun.

Have fun!

Dave
Old September 22, 2010, 02:56 PM   #9
skinsman

It is a brass frame. I guess in my mind I didnt figure that. So, 20 grains is my max??? Any Idea how that little powder may affect me?
Old September 22, 2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

SM

Yes....If you are like me, you will be wishing it was making more smoke, fire and noise...

Seriously, I like a max of 30 gr. in my steel frame as many of the others have said. This is not because I have carefully tested various loads. It is because at 30 grains I really begin to feel a lot of energy in my hand and as weird as it sounds, on my face. It really feels like any more would be overpowering the pistol. Now that is about as unscientific as you can get and probably completely unfounded but that is my reaction.
Old September 22, 2010, 04:25 PM   #11
wogpotter

Quote:
So, 20 grains is my max???
20 Gr of actual B/P.
IIRC you need to drop that 15% for 777 (That comes out to about 17 Gr.)
Old September 22, 2010, 08:02 PM   #12
skinsman

Thanks for your help wogpotter. I would shot 30 grains! One last question, whats my approx FPS using only 17 grains of Triple 7 FFFG? Just seems like so little powder.
Thanks again!
Old September 23, 2010, 02:57 AM   #13
arcticap

It's probably safe to load the black powder equivalent of 25 grains of 777 in your brass frame gun which would be about 21 grains.
Many folks do and their guns didn't suffer any immediate damage.
Others have reported shooting the equivalent of 30 grains often enough (minus 15% for 777) which is about 25 grains of 777 but that's starting to push it.
There are other weaker powders to use but you purchased 777 which is simply the most potent powder. Try it and then tweak the load as you see fit. Just make sure that the ball is seated all of the way down on top of the powder.
777 burns pretty clean and shooting it should still be enjoyable.
If the brass frame ever stretches and loosens up then the parts alone are still worth a good portion of the purchase price: the barrel, the grip frame, the internals.
Indentations will appear on the inside of the recoil shield behind the cylinder to serve as a warning that the brass frame is getting battered.
Enjoy your gun for what it is or exchange it for a steel frame gun before shooting it if you still can.

Last edited by arcticap; September 23, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old September 23, 2010, 05:21 AM   #14
mykeal

One caution wrt 777: it does not like to be compressed. Just seat the ball firmly enough to be sure there's no air gap between the ball and the powder.

Compressed 777 will give very inconsistent results.
Old September 23, 2010, 07:20 AM   #15
skinsman

Sounds like my trusty gun guy shoulda steered me in a different direction as far as powder goes. Thanks for your help on all this guys. The rain rained me out yesterday, but today I am gonna try and go. What do you think the muzzle FPS would be?