The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Wendyj

Hope I cleaned my Lee flsizing die right

Finally took this die apart. Sprayed it with some Remington oil. Took 40 caliber bore swap and cleaned the inside. Cleaned stem the same way. Wasn't too dirty but everyone says every fifty rounds. Ran bore patch thru until clean. Cleaned pin and expander same way. Sprayed some Hornady one shot on both and let dry about five minutes. Wiped everything down and reassembled. Lubed about 20 with one shot and de primed and flsized. Can't tell any difference. Would have used brake cleaner if dirtier but all in all looked no worse for the wear. All cartridges still fit good in headspace guage. Did I mess up?
Old April 8, 2015, 05:08 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

NOPE.
Old April 8, 2015, 05:50 PM   #3
g.willikers

Dies are supposed to be cleaned?
Well, maybe the bullet seating die, due to the accumulation of lube in it, from loading mostly lead bullets.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:01 PM   #4
lamarw

Who is "everyone"? I have never heard or read where dies need to be cleaned after every 50 rounds.

I could not stand the aggravation of having to readjust dies after the cleaning.

When I get them adjusted properly, the last thing I want to do is mess with them. I seldom clean mine and see no adverse effects.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Wendyj

I have never noticed it before but the batch I just resized has a almost perfect circle maybe a quarter of an inch on the outside of the brass. I can just barely feel it with a fingernail and inside looks good. Too much lube. Not enough. May die die down too far or is this natural. Some third time resized. Some first time. Set die back same way. Went until it touched and 1/4 turn. Just like before. Not dent but looks like it's uniform enough to have used a tubing cutter. Hornady and nosler brass from my rifle. Hope I uploaded this picture right.

Last edited by Wendyj; June 4, 2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:07 PM   #6
condor bravo

Weird. I load for 50 some rifle calibers (but never with Lee rifle dies, mostly with RCBS) and have never encountered such a thing. Unless someone can nail this, your best satisfaction may be to get a different sizing die. I wouldn't put up with what is happening. By the way, all of my rifle sizing dies have never been cleaned; sometimes just some of the seating dies. I use the RCBS-2 case lube.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 8, 2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Wendyj

I just looked at the last 40 I reloaded using 165 gr and some have the circle some not. I'm new so don't want brass coming apart on me. These are before cleaning the dies.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:44 PM   #8
condor bravo

I wouldn't think the cases could start to buckle inward during sizing, never heard of such a thing, but just to eliminate that possibility, back off on the extra half turn or so that I think you said you applied to the sizing die. If this is your first try at a rifle cartridge and there appears to be no solution (other than replacing the die), probably just blame the situation on beginner's bad-luck.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:51 PM   #9
Wendyj

I had loaded 20 last week and went to firing range with them. I had put the die in. Ran down until it touched and gave it a 1/4 turn more. Just like when I set it up. It appears to be a surface cut. It's not buckled as the light would appear on far right case. Just enough to bump your fingernails over. All in same spot. Inside doesn't look like this. Just the outside. I'm just wondering if I should reload these or toss them. I'm out of brass now so I have no way of knowing if backing up a little would help or not.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:55 PM   #10
skizzums

mine get a good cleaning every few weeks. generally after around 500 rounds or so. my 300 blk gets the most since it's forming and get lots of lube in it. sometime i'll take it apart and run a boresnake through it, other times ill just pour a carafe of boiling water down in and that seems to do the job just as well as physically cleaning it.
Old April 8, 2015, 07:55 PM   #11
psalm7

The only time I have heard of rings on brass is on the thread going on here about the papper clip check . Case separation .
Old April 8, 2015, 08:22 PM   #12
condor bravo

Perhaps first of all, are you sure that the rings were NOT present on the cases BEFORE sizing, as opposed to showing up only after sizing? If present before sizing, then the fault should lie with the cases, probably there from having been fired in a previous rifle. But if with new brass, then the fault should lie with the sizing die (or improper adjustment).
Old April 8, 2015, 08:45 PM   #13
lamarw

Your initial post did not mention a problem. It read to me as though you had been told by "everyone" to clean your full sizing die after every 50 rounds. You question was whether you were cleaning it properly.
Old April 8, 2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Ifishsum

Do you chamfer/deburr with one of the Lee deburring tools by chance? I had similar marks on brass when I started out using the tool that came with the Lee kit...
Old April 9, 2015, 02:06 AM   #15
the led farmer

Quote:
Do you chamfer/deburr with one of the Lee deburring tools by chance? I had similar marks on brass when I started out using the tool that came with the Lee kit...
I agree, those marks are not from your die but from:
1) whatever you are using to trim your brass
2) the lee tool when you deburr

if not you then whoever loaded them before
Old April 9, 2015, 05:41 AM   #16
Wendyj

I would like to think it was from trimming but that's what I was doing when I noticed it first. Had just resized. Set down to clean primer pockets and trim. That's when I inspect my cases. Before I trim. I think I have about 10 factory loads left. Will check them. Not likely Hornady and Nosler had same ring. This brass was new and only fired by me. Hornady 3rd time in press and Nosler 1st time.
Old April 9, 2015, 07:41 AM   #17
Gadawg88

You can add a couple of zeros to that every "50" rounds. No need to clean anywhere near that often particularly if your brass is clean when you resize. The ring is not normal and would bother me too. If it is superficial, then the cases should be safe to fire, but I would try and correct going forward. Try taking the die apart again and closely examine, best you can, the inside surfaces of the die body for burrs or tool marks. A magnifying glass may help. A little light work with some emory cloth may take care of it.
Old April 9, 2015, 01:47 PM   #18
Wendyj

As a test I shot one of my factory 165 grain loads. Took die apart and cleaned more with cotton swab. Used the Lee lube instead of the Hornady one shot. Re installed the die until it touched, gave it a 1/4 of a turn more. Just like before. Resized spent case. No rings. Cotton swab excuse me q tip was very nasty even after I cleaned yesterday. I don't care much for the Lee lube. Says not to get in on the bottleneck of brass. Almost impossible using your fingers. Maybe I'll try some RCBS spray lube. Not sure what happened but thinking of buying a new full length sizing die and sending the brass with rings and my die back to Lee. I've only had it a week. Only place for Lee dies is an hour away. Could go with a different company. Looks like all the threads are the same. Being new at this game is rough when you encounter something daily you don't have a clue about. Showed brass to an old time reloader. He says it's safe for this time but recommended I find the problem or return to Lee since it's only two weeks old. They don't list all th problems you encounter in a manual or hand book.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Wendyj

I didn't see the vent hole in die before but it had a trace of dirt on it. Doesn't appear brass ring comes that far up though. Could be wrong but it was worth recleaning.