The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 7, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
chiefr

Sonic cleaner any good for cleaning BP brass

I have always dreaded cleaning brass cases after firing Black Powder (BP).
I own 3 tumblers. My tumblers removes all BP traces from the outside in 6 hours. I must tumble 2-3 days to remove BP residue from the inside, but the inside remains black.
I have never tried any sonic cleaners to clean brass. Seems everyone manufactures sonic cleaners now.
My question is has anyone used the sonic cleaners to clean BP reside from their brass and will it clean inside the brass as good as vibratory tumblers clean brass from the outside?
Old February 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Hawg

It won't help with old brass that's been used with bp but drop it into a jug of Windex right after you shoot it and your tumbler will clean it right up.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

My Cabela's tumbler does a good job in cleaning my cases after shooting black powder, but they never come out perfectly shiney and new looking. Some tarnish is visable. Quite reloadable though. Curious about a sonic tumbler myself.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4
TomADC

I use a old Thumblers Tumbler, and I bring a plastic jar with soapy water in it, the fired brass goes straight to that, when I get home I rinse with hot water they dry pretty fast and into the tumbler I do deprime first.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:34 PM   #5
blfuller

Have you seen the stainless steel tumbling media? They say they work really well with some soap and water. These are only supposed to be used in an actual drum tumbler, they don't work in vibratory case cleaners.

Go here...Stainless tumbling media

Last edited by blfuller; February 8, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
maillemaker

People have claimed great results with the stainless steel pins for tumbling as it gets into primer pockets.

But holy cow are they proud of that stuff!

Well, looks like the price is down on sale now $44 instead of $64 for 5 pounds of the stuff.

Steve
Old February 11, 2013, 03:48 PM   #7
blfuller

Brownells has the stainless pins on sale.