The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Plinkn

.380 Jacketed Soft Point Hollow Base

I purchased some .380 acp bullets that are 95 gn. JSPHB. I have load data for a 95 gn. JHP and FMJ and was wondering what difference if at all a hollow base bullet is going to make? The base is jacketed but has a cavity in it similar to a hollow point. Does anyone know if it will be safe to start with the published loads for the JHP... 3 gns of bullseye?

Thanks.

Last edited by Plinkn; January 20, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:13 PM   #2
dwhite

You should be fine.

I believe the bullets you have are made by "Zero Bullets"?

Just start with the minimum powder charge for a 95 grain bullet. DO NOT start here and load a bunch though. Load 10 or so and make sure they function in your pistol cycling the slide and ejecting properly. Nothing worse than having 200 rounds you have to feed individually. Of course if your gun doesn't function you'll need to up the powder charge. Load 10 more and try again.

All the Best,
Doug White
Old January 20, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
spacecoast

Just as a point of reference, I've been loading 100 gr. RNHB (round nose hollow base) Berry's plated bullets on top of 3.6 grains of Accurate #2 with good success in my LCP. They shoot very much like 95 grain FMJ. The OAL I've been using is 0.98".

Also, I would note that the 95 gr. JSPs I bought from a local commercial reloader do NOT feed well in my LCP, it doesn't seem to like the flat tips or something about the bullets.

Tags
.380 , base , hallow , jacketed , point