The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Nomo4me

Need suggestions for refining .204 loads

Gun is a Savage M-10 Precision Carbine in .204 with about 300 rounds down the tube.
Dies used were Lee Collet neck die & Forster BR bullet seater. Nosler brass. All groups shot with SBK 39gr Blitz King & Fed 205 primer. All seated to same length.

From left to right:

3 groups using 27.5gr IMR 4895
3 groups using 26gr Benchmark
2 groups using 26gr AA2230
2 groups using 25gr H-322

This gun has shot Federal factory v-shok ammo (loaded with the same 39gr SBK bullet) into the .3's consistently. I had a load developed with RL-10x and this same bullet that was consistently in the low .4's - until the weather got cold when groups blew up to 2"+. No more RL-10x for me.

I'd like to get this gun dialed in to shoot consistent .3's, and I'd like to have some confidence that I can load in bulk and shoot most any time of the year with consistent results. Maybe the latter isn't realistic.

In my next round of testing I'd like to settle on one of these 4 powders with a preference for temp stability over max velocity profile.

Suggestions for further refinement would be much appreciated.

Old January 19, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Toddco

204 reloading

It looks to me like the benchmark powder has given you the best groupings. Firstly, did you clean your gun after every group? If you do this you will get the most consisitent groupings. Secondly, if you choose to use the benchmark powder you can make loads up and down in powder charges. When i built a load for my .204 ruger i found powder and bullet that i liked, loaded 5 round lots in 5 different powder charges starting at low and working up to high. After i found the best charge i then began to play with distance from the lands---ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SIGNS OF INCREASED PRESSURE. Some will say that a clean bore for each group is not all that important, i find that to get consistent results and clearly see the differences in charges you need to make everything the same each time. I have shot the 39 grain bullet from my savage .204 ruger, it has a 26" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. These bullets were not nearly as accurate as the nosler 40 grain ballistic tip(best bullet i found) or the 40 grain hornady(my second choice), both bullets performed very well and i have shot 1/2" groups at 200 metres(approx. 250 yards) when conditions were not overly windy. i also use the nosler brass, it is very good brass for the money.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Nomo4me

My Savage always throws the first round high after cleaning. I shoot my groups under the conditions that will prevail while varmint shooting. I'll go up to 100 rounds at the bench without cleaning the bore in any way and my best groups are sometimes at the end of the days work. When I'm at the range I just don't like to be cleaning bores.

Here are some pics from this weeks shooting. The 1st 3 photos are displayed in sequence as I shot them from my Savage 204. Clearly, #6 will be replicated to see if there is some consistency to be had.
The last photo is a couple of groups from my Tikka 223 varminter.

My Savage 204 doesn't like the Nosler 40 grain. The 40 SBK has been the most accurate in my Savage M-10 PC, then the HDY 40 gr V-max. The Nosler B-tip has never done better than 3/4" for me.

These groups were shot in temps just a bit below freezing.

And the 223, looks like it likes Benchmark as well.

Last edited by Nomo4me; January 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:20 AM   #4
troy_mclure

my encore pro hunter 28" bbl likes lighter bullets, 32-36gr.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."