The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 17, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
jsmaye

TT-33 vs P1

I've been saving for a TT-33 and was almost ready to order when I discovered the local Gander Mountain had a Walther P1 for $199, about what an online TT would cost. $199 seems cheap for a P1, and they claim that it has a new barrel. Mechanically, it seemed sound and the barrel did look good, but I really don't know what to look for in a P1. However, the few examples I've run across in the past were not great shooters. I know the P1 has an aluminum alloy frame, but I don't know if that's really an issue. And I've already considered the ammo issue of 9x19 vs 7.62x25 and figure it's a wash either way. So, assuming equal condition, any opinions on which would be the better buy?

Edit - the P1 comes with a holster and spare mag.

Last edited by jsmaye; August 17, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old August 17, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2
HKuser

I bought 3 of the P-1s and a Polish TT-33 in the past 6 months. If I had to choose, it would be a P-1. Neither is going to be a match pistol, but the P-1 is a double action 9mm and is more versatile. Check if the P-1 you're looking at has the hexagonal frame reinforcing bolt above the trigger area. That solved a problem of older P-1s of frames cracking from stress.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

The P1 will be easier to find ammo for, generally.

If you're just looking for a shooter, I'd go with the Walther.
Old August 22, 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Tom2

If you are looking for a shooter maybe the P-1 would be less hassle, especially if they will take it back if it malfunctions. Probably more extra mags, ammo, and parts floating around for the German gun. I have a late 1986 production P-1 that was taken out of the wrap, unfired. I have kept it that way as I have fired plenty of P-1/P-38 guns and I just have not worked up the nerve to break it in, as that will have an affect on value at some point in the future, who knows when. The later guns have the reinforcement in the frame and much better sights than the earlier or refurbed early guns. BUt for 199 you have to really consider it a surplus bargain unless it has issues. I have an EG Mak, most of the other little Eastern bloc pistols just don't appeal to me.
Old August 22, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I have a wz.48 Tokarev, a very early Radom-marked unit, which could fairly be described as the Cadillac of Toks, and it still falls down in the shooting department next to the P1 (which is fairly primitive in its own right.)

Shooting these weapons next to a modern service or competition pistol is an eye-opener. Given the sights and trigger of the typical early 20th Century service pistol, it's a thousand wonders anybody was ever killed with the things.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:58 AM   #6
mrMONEYman

I haven't shot or handled a P1 yet, but I do have a TT-33.

I would go for the TT-33, not because I own one. But because ammo is still relatively cheap and you can stock up on ammo. Just for a shooter, the TT-33 is excellent (just as long as you know the limitations of the gun - it is not and will not be a target piece). Plus, I like the recoil of the round and the noise it makes - all for a cheap price too.

In my experienc, it is more than adaquate in dispatching the invading hoard of pop cans and tin cans.
Old August 25, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMONEYman
But because ammo is still relatively cheap and you can stock up on ammo.
True, but a lot of this depends on how much somebody shoots and how long they plan to keep the gun. Being dependent on cheap imported surplus to make a gun shootable can backfire; ask any .303 Enfield owner...
Old August 25, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most of the P1's on the market now have been upgraded with a steel insert for the locking block, so the aluminum frame is much less of an issue.

I would choose the P1 over the TT-33, unless some other factor (like wanting a historical WWII gun) was in the picture.

Jim