The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Guns+Rugby

Beretta 92 vs px4 Storm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good 9mm for both carry and regular range time. I love target shooting so accuracy is my main concern followed by reliability.

I have shot the 92fs for a while now and love it to death but everyone I talk to says its near impossible for a normal sized person(6'1 180lbs) to carry without it being hilariously noticeable. Which is why Beretta's px4 storm has caught my eye.

Do you think the px4 has what it takes to match the 92 in accuracy, reliability and looks to justify picking it over the old favorite?
Old February 12, 2014, 12:23 AM   #2
bodhisatva

I can"t speak to the 92, but I've put a couple thousand trouble free rounds through my PX4 full size and I can say, without reservation, that it is the sweetest shooting, most accurate firearm in my collection. I occasionally carry it IWB with a Foxx hybrid. It doesn't disappear, but it carries well. When you need 17+1 at your disposal, it can't be beat. As for accuracy, at SD distances(20 feet and in), I can take out the ten ring almost as fast as I can pull the trigger. I can't say enough good things about the PX4. I would, and do, trust my life on it.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:32 AM   #3
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns+Rugby
I have shot the 92fs for a while now and love it to death but everyone I talk to says its near impossible for a normal sized person(6'1 180lbs) to carry without it being hilariously noticeable. Which is why Beretta's px4 storm has caught my eye.
First, this is laughable. I am a 5'9" guy, and I can CC my CZ 75 (similar size) with the right dress. No, I can't wear my daisy dukes or my spaghetti strap midriff shirts, but with a pair of jeans and a loose polo, it's hidden.

Second, most folks aren't going to notice your gun even if it is less than 100% invisible. Keep it covered, and be discrete. Cover garments are your friend- vests, light jackets, etc.

Now, I owned a Px4, and it really wasn't for me, but largely because I got the DAO while i was in the process of realizing I hated DAO triggers. Go figure. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to try the PX4 again, and if I wanted a carry piece, I'd probably look at the compact or subcompact.

Both are excellent firearms, and either would serve you well with a good holster, belt, and attire selection.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:43 AM   #4
AndyWest

Welcome G+R.

As long as you don't borrow any of JimmyR's weekend wardrobe, you might be fine with the 92 at your size. Try it out, and if you can stick with something you already know and like, all the better eh?
Old February 12, 2014, 03:38 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

92FS/M9 concealment, PX4 C.....

FWIW:
You can carry a Beretta 92/96 series pistol concealed. To me, it's not the Beretta 92F series dimensions or size but the weight.
I've owned 2 LE surplus Beretta 96D .40S&W pistols. I packed the first .40 often in a black Aker Comfort Flex shoulder rig. I'd wear it for 12-16 hours a clip.
The alloy frame helped but the loaded pistol & 2 fully loaded .40 magazines were a lot to carry.
I bought a new PX4 C(constant) 9x19mm in 2009. I didn't own it very long but I was very impressed with the size/weight. It had a balanced feel & worked very well. The polymer frame helped reduce the overall weight.

If your basic needs are for target/range use & you don't plan on carrying the pistol concealed a lot, Id buy the Beretta 92FS. If you will carry it a lot, go with the PX4. The ambi-control format compact PX4 seems best for CCW/defense.
As for holsters, you can try a IWB style like Kramer, Milt Sparks or the LFI holster from Ted Blocker.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:34 AM   #6
Tomac

I've owned (and love) both but there's no getting around that the PX4 (especially the Compact or Subcompact) is easier to carry/conceal. In fact, the PX4C is my EDC. I really like how the PX4 has a more straight-back recoil impulse w/less muzzle rise and after more than 500rds both my PX4C's have been 100%.

The PX4 grips are too slick for my taste (Talon Grips are a great inexpensive fix), I'm not a fan of slide-mounted safety/decockers (again, easily converted to decocker-only which I prefer) and the only way to get night sights on the Compact is a custom job by Tool Tech (due to the Compact's unusual front sight base width).

However, the way the PX4C shoots for me outweighs those (fixable) disadvantages and IMHO it's just the right size to give a full grip for better controllability yet is still easy to carry/conceal.

Tomac
Old February 12, 2014, 08:40 AM   #7
mete

I wonder if a single column PX4 would be popular ??
Old February 12, 2014, 11:36 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

92FS Compact....

I have seen a few recent Beretta 92FS Compacts. They have shorter mag wells & the shorter Beretta M9 style barrel. In the mid 1980s, Beretta offered a slim 9 shot 9x19mm "Compact" for the US military. It was issued to the plain-clothes special agents of the US Army CIDC(criminal investigation div command). This sidearm didn't last long & the US armed forces switched to the SIG P228 9mm later called the M11.
I think the newer Beretta compacts are limited runs so they might not be very common. I saw a local pawn shop that had a few used Beretta pistols in .40 & .357sig. The semi auto models may have been LE surplus.

Clyde
www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com www.slickguns.com
Old February 13, 2014, 05:08 AM   #9
JL Wesson

I have both. The 92 has a better grip or at least fits better in my hand. You can also "work" on the trigger should you wish a smoother/lighter action. The pX4 is lighter and easier (if possible...) to field strip.

Both have been always super reliable: with commerical ammo never ever failed to go bang anc cycle.
With self made crap loads I could make them fail to cycle but again both guns never refused to put the load in the chamber and go bang. No matter for COAL or bullet shape.
Old February 13, 2014, 05:34 AM   #10
kcub

Quote:
I think the newer Beretta compacts are limited runs so they might not be very common. I saw a local pawn shop that had a few used Beretta pistols in .40 & .357sig.
Which Beretta model comes in .357 Sig?

Regarding the OP, reliability is a wash from what I hear which is to say near perfect, never shot a PX4 so I can't comment on accuracy difference.

Looks? Are you kidding? The PX4 is way fugly whereas the the 92 (older Compact sans rails is my favorite) is a classic, beautiful handgun IMO.
Old February 13, 2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Z400ACDC

I have a 24 year old taurus 92 and a px4 storm. I like them both. They are bith accurate and dependable. The storm is about the best looking pistol I have ever seen, imo. They both are big to carry. The storm is some what smaller.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:15 AM   #12
zincwarrior

Are you talking the Storm or its compact/subcompact? I have a 92 and the wife has the compact.

I wouldn't carry the 92 due to its weight. It is one accurate shooter, but the weight could be a problem with long term wear and comfort.

Her Storm is a good bit lighter. Frankly I like the trigger on her Storm better. It seems much better in DA mode and the SA mode is as good as the 92. I also like that the safety/decocker is substantially thinner than the 92.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Don P

My choice is the 92. I have owned 2 PX4's in 9 mm and 40 S&W and both were problematic. My 2 92's have been flawless
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:25 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

After-market .357sig ....

I think these .357sig Beretta pistols were part of a LE trade-in.
They were compacts with the new style 1913 rails. The duty pistols were also the D(DA only) format which I didn't know Beretta made but it might have been just for the LE contract guns.
Old February 13, 2014, 09:46 AM   #15
Z400ACDC

Don, what issues did you have?
Old February 14, 2014, 08:01 AM   #16
Don P

Quote:
Don, what issues did you have?
Both PX pistols were de-cock only

The 9 mm after roughly 5-800 rounds. The de-cocker would only work from the right side of the pistol. This was/is perplexing being the levers are on the same shaft and connected. This only happened when the magazine was loaded and inserted in the gun and the slide had 1/16" or so of up and down play at the grip end of the gun when loaded.

The 40 S&W after 2 magazines had one hell of a trigger sting when shooting. I never shot more that 4 magazines out of it at any given range session. I tried grease on the barrel to absorb some of the shock and that didn't work after 2 magazines. Trigger finger would sting and go numb.

Both PX's were early production purchased within the first year they were introduced. May or may not have been contributing factors.
They were/are accurate good shooting guns, BUT not worth keeping in my opinion because of the issues I encountered. I like their look and I am a fan of Beretta's owning 2 92FS's and a 950 25acp.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:16 PM   #17
LockedBreech

Don, your issues are why I almost never buy guns or electronics in the first year. I love Beretta more than any other brand, but the PX-series definitely did have hiccups early on, including the .40 trigger sting and some bad slide fit issues. Your decocker issue is a new one, I also have no idea how that would have happened. I don't blame you for getting rid of them, I find unreliability unacceptable in a gun I even conceivably might ever use for HD or carry.

I have a 2008 production full-size .40, 4 years into production of the series, and it has been an amazing pistol. Everyone I know who owns a PX variant has a flawless gun, but all of them own 2010 to present production guns. Just like early Glock Gen 4s, there seem to be errors that only show themselves after distribution to consumers, no matter how much factory testing is done.

Unfortunately, with the Gen 4s, it was Glock so they survived it, whereas the PX's early problems seem to have put a serious dent in the reputation of the pistol.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:38 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

My choices for CCW are neither. I do have a 92fs as a range shooter, and think It is great. If your only concern is as a "tool" for CCW, lighter is always better.
But as far as the looks, and desirability of the guns them selves my camparison would be.
Sophia Loren VS Miley Cyrus!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2014, 01:40 PM   #19
LockedBreech

I have the two side-by-side in my nightstand, and even though I've had the PX4 for much longer, I have to admit it's like having a wife, then having the wife's supermodel best friend move in. The 92 is one of the best looking guns there is.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:44 PM   #20
Don P

Yep the 40 was purchased in 06 and the 9 in 07
Old February 14, 2014, 01:53 PM   #21
tahunua001

personal experience has been that the PX4 is more accurate, reliable and lighter recoiling than the 92/M9. the PX4 is one of the few DA/SA handguns I wouldn't mind owning.
Old February 14, 2014, 02:01 PM   #22
Sabre9mm

I am no small guy 5'11" 175#, but not exactly huge either and I carry a XDm 19+1 4.5" almost every day. As others posted, it is mostly in how you dress, where you sit while in public, etc. I do have a compact for the days where I just cannot pull it off, but you can very easily carry either of those concealed with a little awareness of how. Conceal carry is far more a learning process, not always the smallest package....

Carry the one you can use well, will use if need be, and carry consistently.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:32 PM   #23
Guns+Rugby

Thank you guys so much!
Seeing as it is a dead tie between the two I'm gonna stick with what I know best and pick up a 92 of my own.
What are your thoughts on the 92a1? Is that little rail really worth the hassle of limiting the holsters I can find?
Old February 16, 2014, 01:31 AM   #24
LockedBreech

It certainly does limit the holster selection quite a lot, but there are still good holsters for it. I got my dad the 96A1, which is cosmetically identical to the 92A1, with a Beretta leather pancake holster that is pretty decent. When I bought my own I went for the classic 92FS, and the ubiquity of accessories is very nice. Makes me understand the Glock appeal better.

Pros of the A1-series:
- They're one of the most recently engineered Beretta designs (2010 or so) so they have all the latest design improvements including frame and locking block.
- They have the light rail
- They have an integrated frame buffer that extends the life of the pistol
- Reassembly lever auto-snaps back into place when you put the slide on. A small detail, but I notice it and it's slick

Honestly, it would depend on the role of the gun. My 92FS is a dedicated HD and car gun, I don't carry it, so if I had to do it again I might have gone with the A1. I'm happy for the classic, lovely 92FS design, which certainly has the more appealing lines, but that rail is a feature I miss.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:41 AM   #25
gus3836

I have the full size 92 FS and the compact 92 and the compact shoots like a laser you almost have to try to miss. The shorter grip and barrel makes it easy to carry and conceal. if you buy the right holster it works for both pistols so you can practice drawing with either. The fulsize mags fit but stick out a bit but for practice it does not matter. My .02

Tags
beretta 92 , concealed carry , px4