The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Case Prep

Thanks for info guys.

Last edited by Lilswede1; November 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Questions have been answered - Thank you
Old November 15, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
dmazur

The method I use to set up resizing dies depends on a Wilson type cartridge headspace gauge. This is useful to measure brass fired in that rifle, then set up the die so a resized case is 0.003" or so shorter. (So it will chamber, and so it also won't unnecessarily shorten brass life.) It can also be used to check resized cases for SAAMI specification headspace length without reference to a case fired in your rifle.

If you don't have such a gauge, the method I've read about is to "sneak up on" this dimension by adjusting the die down in very small increments and repeatedly try chambering that case. When the bolt handle goes down without doing a crush fit, you're there.

You didn't mention what type of resizing die you have. For once-fired .223, you are probably safer to assume it was fired in an AR-15 or something similar rather than another bolt rifle. As such, you need to use a full-length resizing die.

After the initial full-length resizing, you might want to explore neck only resizing, unless you plan to use the ammo in a mix of rifle types.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Lilswede1

Thanks for the tips. In my inital thread I used the initials "FL" to indicate I use a full length die.
I have the Wilson gage and measure each round - they are within tolerances .
Of the 1st 100 rds I resized 29 chambered stiffly so I lowered the die several .000"s and now they all chamber nicely.
I contacted the mfgr. of the inexpensive press I use for depriming and resizing and it seems that the press will stretch several .000"s under extreme pressure. This would account for the cases that weren't sized down far enough.
Any other suggestions would be welcome. Always ready to learn something new in here.
Thanks
Old November 15, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Uncle Chan

I've never had a problem by just following the instructions that come with the die.
Old November 15, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
confirmed shooter

after you get the cases fl sized, and then fired again, try to neck size only if using the same weapon. Then trim your brass to spec length and you are ready to go. your brass won't be bench-restquality, but it will be close. Good shooting and have fun. Charlie Serra.
Old November 15, 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
emcon5

What were they once fired in? Before you go through the effort to FL size them try making up a dummy round by neck sizing one and seating a bullet (no primer or powder), then see if they chamber in your rifle.

Never know, you might get lucky and they fit.
Old November 15, 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
dmazur

Yep, you did say FL. Reading comprehension.

If they were all within spec on the Wilson gauge, but some (29) were hard to chamber, it sounds like you have a short-chambered rifle. You may need to keep everything near the bottom step on the gauge rather than "in between". On most Wilson gauges, the step size is 0.006".

IMO, you shouldn't be getting that kind of variation, unless you're using mixed brass, which can have varying resizing effort and different "spring back".