The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2019, 02:07 PM   #1
AERacing1813

Any reason to not get a PDW?

A friend of mine, a guy i've delt firearms with a lot is looking to sell his designated LWRC PDW AR platform, I'm just curious if theirs any reason I should NOT fill out the form's and go about getting it? theirs no new dumb laws going into affect etc, making them "illegal to own" like the bump stocks are?

i've done a little digging around but cant really find a answer. I'm an Arkansas resident if that matters.

Thanks Y'all!
Old January 14, 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
DaleA

I'm afraid I kind of choked on all the acronyms a bit there and had to go look 'em up.

LWRC-maker of 'high performance firearms'
PDW-okay, I admit I puzzled that one out on my own 'personal defense weapon'
AR-yeah we all know what that means. (Armalite)

So we might be talking about this gun?
https://lwrci.com/p-427-ic-pdw-556-p...se-weapon.aspx

I'd go for one if the price was right. Sure they are going for another 'assault weapons ban' and boy this one sure looks to cause a case of the vapors amongst those doing the banning but if you like it, go for it and then support the folk that think banning a certain type of weapon is not smart and maybe not even legal.
Old January 14, 2019, 04:38 PM   #3
AERacing1813

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I'm afraid I kind of choked on all the acronyms a bit there and had to go look 'em up.

LWRC-maker of 'high performance firearms'
PDW-okay, I admit I puzzled that one out on my own 'personal defense weapon'
AR-yeah we all know what that means. (Armalite)

So we might be talking about this gun?
https://lwrci.com/p-427-ic-pdw-556-p...se-weapon.aspx

I'd go for one if the price was right. Sure they are going for another 'assault weapons ban' and boy this one sure looks to cause a case of the vapors amongst those doing the banning but if you like it, go for it and then support the folk that think banning a certain type of weapon is not smart and maybe not even legal.
haha! after all those acronyms, you actually put the link to the exact gun

I'll look into it more, I want it and he's offering me a smoking deal! I'm just afraid of someone banging on the door in a year trying to "take it away"
Old January 14, 2019, 05:34 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
I'm just afraid of someone banging on the door in a year trying to "take it away"
Seriously, in our lifetime I don't think the anti-gun folk are ever going to go away or stop pushing. This is probably something they'll keep trying to do and we will push back but always have to deal with this cloud hanging over us.

Good luck no matter which way you choose.
Old January 14, 2019, 07:14 PM   #5
AERacing1813

gotcha! thanks for the feedback
Old January 14, 2019, 09:34 PM   #6
Sharkbite

The problem with buying that gun is it is a factory SBR. That means doing a form 4, paying the $200 tax and waiting 8-12 MONTHS to take possession.

You could build a pistol with 90% of the same features and be shooting it next week and not throw the Govt an additional $200.

If you REALLY want an actual SBR, then build the pistol, fill out a form 1 and when it gets approved put a stock on the thing
Old January 15, 2019, 08:26 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
Well, the first 'ban' only applied to designated 'assault rifles' made after that date. So, if you owned one, you could keep it.
Quote:
The 10-year ban was passed by the US Congress on September 13, 1994, following a close 52–48 vote in the US Senate, and was signed into law by US President Bill Clinton on the same day. The ban applied only to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment.
Second, there will be some noise in Congress but unless and until all 3 branches are DEM, it's just the stuff of MSM.
3rd..there is no national gun registry. Nobody at the federal level knows who has what. Don't think the Feds' will start banging and then searching everybody's house anytime soon..
Quote:
I'm just afraid of someone banging on the door in a year trying to "take it away"

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 16, 2019, 11:47 PM   #8
zeke

SBR's are registered and may likely be harder to ban than a pistol with an arm brace that is covered by an interpretation/letter. However the pistols are alot cheaper and apparently legal at the moment.

Either way you go, harder to conceal , but easier to shoot accurately (for some/most).
Old February 3, 2019, 06:39 AM   #9
silvermane_1

Yeah i don't particularly like the term "PDW(personal defense weapon)" because it usually refers to a SBR and/or a subcompact SMG/TMP, yet a revolver, semi-auto pistol and SBS aren't considered a "PDW".
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old February 3, 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Mobuck

Unless the current owner is a dealer, can he even sell it to you w/o a Form 3 to an NFA dealer? If so this adds more wait time and another $200 fee + whatever fees the NFA dealer charges.
Old February 3, 2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

Just buy the dang thing already. You are going to have nearly a year wait with the NFA paperwork so the sooner you buy it the sooner it will be in your hands.