The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 14, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Gary Slider

Georgia Does Not Honor Virginia. . . ME & Arcadia Nat Parks. . . . NH/VA Reciprocity

Georgia AG is stating that they will not honor the Virginia Permit to Carry. They are stating that Virginia will not honor permits Georgia issues to Military 18-20. Virginia requires those carrying with another states permit to be 21. Thing is Georgia honors at least six other states that will not honor a Georgia permit issued to those under 21. I don’t understand their reasoning as every state that honored Georgia in the past is honored by Georgia but they are now stating: Not Virginia! There are people maneuvering to get Georgia to honor Virginia and hoping they succeed. As I have seen over and over again through the years government moves very slowly when they want to! Georgia statute on how they honor other states is as follows.
http://dps.georgia.gov/georgias-fire...it-reciprocity

The Maine State Police updated their website today backing off their requirement that a Maine Resident or Maine Non-Resident Permit was required to carry in Arcadia Nat Park. They are stating now that you have to have a permit they Issue or Honor. Do be aware that Maine does not honor all other states even though they have permitless carry. They are now stating this:

Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756) NOTE: Pursuant to 25 M.R.S. 2001-A (2)(F), Maine will recognize a concealed handgun permit issued by another state to its resident if that state recognizes Maine’s resident concealed handgun permits. A resident permit from that state is valid for concealed carry of a handgun within Acadia National Park

You can view this info at the Maine State Police Website here: http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html

I have talked to those in charge in New Hampshire and they state there is a signed agreement with Virginia that was effective July 1, 2016. They also told me they would be updating their website shortly. Shortly to NH can be weeks as they have been slow in updating their site in the past. New Hampshire has not added Virginia to the list of state it honors as of posting this. https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...ing/plupr.html

The Maine/VA/NH Info has already been added to www.handgunlaw.us The changes in Maine and carry in Arcadia Nat. Park will be updated late this evening.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old July 14, 2016, 07:20 PM   #2
rwilson452

Gary,

Thank you very much for the hard work you do in keeping us as up to date as possible in this reciprocity mess.
Old July 14, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3
osbornk

I have both the Virginia and Utah permits. Georgia does not honor Va but it does honor Utah. SC and NM does not honor Utah but it does Virginia. Other than Illinois, I am covered south of DC and east of California. Good enough for me.
Old July 14, 2016, 08:16 PM   #4
JERRYS.

i appreciate your updates and timely information. one note for those affected..... Virginia is an open carry (no permit needed) state. review their gun laws page for the few off limits places and vehicle carry.
Old July 14, 2016, 09:25 PM   #5
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Not to pick nits, but the title would be more appropriate as "VIRGINIA Does Not Honor GEORGIA Permits" as the trouble seems to originate in that state.

Georgia's law on reciprocity is simple - -
Quote:
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions
(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.
You recognize ours and yours is automatically recognized.

Funny thing, service members (active, reserve, National Guard, and GA Self Defense forces, etc) don't require any permits to carry openly or concealed under OCGA 16-11-130. They have the same carry restrictions as law enforcement.

Just placing the blame or credit where credit or blame is due.
Old July 15, 2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Gary Slider

Virginia does honor the GA permit but they have to be 21. GA does not honor the VA permit.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old July 17, 2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Jeff H

Gary, another thanks for all you do for our cause.