The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2019, 10:25 AM   #26
zukiphile

I can think of a reason to disassemble and clean the action on a regular basis. Familiarity.

I still remember the first time I took apart a 10/22 trigger group. It wasn't pretty and it took a long time. The trigger group can be a sort of three handed puzzle in which gravity sneaks in to pull away a pin you thought you had secured. After I had been tinkering and polishing things with many successive assemblies and disassemblies, I could get the whole thing together in about a minute.
Old January 7, 2019, 01:10 PM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
I've a Volquartsen pistol with a tensioned stainless barrel that came with a warning that putting a brush down the barrel would void the warranty. I have always assumed the warning was issued for good reason.
If any barrel is too tender to withstand the bristles of a brass or nylon brush used judicially, the "warning" gives me good reason not to buy it.
Old January 7, 2019, 01:51 PM   #28
zukiphile

It's turned out to be a very good barrel, one that is cleaned only with weedwacker cord and cotton patches, just as I clean my 10/22 barrels. Yet that sort of delicacy leaves me avoiding stainless barrels generally.

While some stainless alloys can be very durable, I've seen some that are terribly soft too.
Old January 9, 2019, 06:07 PM   #29
unclejack37

I clean my 10/22 about every other time I shoot it. I run a brass brush dipped in Hoopes #9 down the barrel followed by a dry patch then an oiled patch. I clean the chamber and bolt with a wet Hoops #9 followed by oil again. I do this for all of my guns and have been doing this for as long as I can remember. The only gun I totally dissembled just to clean it was a SKS I purchased for $300 last year because it still had the Cosmoline thought out the rifle. The firing pin was hanging up because of the Cosmoline.