The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2019, 12:55 PM   #1
El cheapo

Cleaning shot???

Hey! New member here. 1st post and I have a question. I live in Pennsylvania and we just had the wettest year ever. My basement flooded and I lost a bunch of stuff, mostly books and paperwork. My reloading tools got wet too and I've spent a good bit of time knocking the rust off stuff with a wire wheel. Anyway, I had a bag of shot that tipped over and disgorged it's contents all over the floor. I swept up what I could, but the shot has dirt, grit and whatever all through it. Anybody know an effective way to clean a bunch of lead shot without sitting there with a toothbrush? Thanks!
Old January 5, 2019, 01:06 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

I have used a Fan an two buckets just pour into the two buckets until clean .
Also do not worry about a little junk in the shot your wad will keep it away from the barrel .
Old January 5, 2019, 05:58 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

a colander or any kind of screen with holes too small for the shot to pass through. running water to wash away the mud and fine grit.

alternate, pan it like the gold miners do. Lead, being heavy will act just like the gold.
Old January 5, 2019, 06:26 PM   #4
El cheapo

I actually have panned for gold in the past and thought of the idea! My technique is a little rusty, but maybe I'll grab an old pan and give it a try.
Old January 5, 2019, 06:27 PM   #5
El cheapo

I'm gonna use the stuff for skeet shooting anyway, so don't need the best long range patterns!