The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Ouroboros

Is this thing worth a d__n?

Hello Y'all,

Your favorite novice again. I just got a BSA Bore Sighter kit that has attachments for just about all calibers - and all of the calibers I have. I found it at a yardsale and got it for $10. EVERYTHING seems to be in there - if somethings missing I can't tell. so presumably a good deal as they go for over $50 as far as I can tell.
My question is, how useful are these things? I am not looking to zero any scoped firearms but would love to use it on a few long & pistol guns that have iron sights only. So, is it any good?

Thanks a Mill Y'all,
ouro
Old May 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Metal god

Short answer No not for hand guns . Although I have not used the BSA model . I would think you would have the same problem . A bore sighter is just to get you close on paper at 50yds or so . If you have adjustable sights on a hand gun and you can't even get on paper at 10 or 15 yards Maybe use it but I would just bring the target to 5yds . I have a cheap Bushnell bore sighter . You can get your scope dead on the little red dot and then turn the sighter 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the dot will have moved away from the center of the crosshair . I don't know about BSA but my Bushnell is not a precision instrument .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #3
jmr40

It was worth $10. They are all useless for sighting in a gun, but I'm sure you can find someone who thinks otherwise and double your money. If you know what you are doing they don't save a single round of ammo and just take longer to get them zeroed.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Nathan

I have never used one.

I have been a firearms enthusiast for 30 years and mounted many scopes without any pre-aiming tool.

First, a centered scope in a good mount on a rifle with reasonably straight holes ought to hit an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper at 25 yards. If not, why not???

After that, move out to your desired 0 in increments.

Last, I have helped people who were "bore sighted" by a local expert. Usually the asked for help because they were off paper at 25 yards. Centering their scope, checking the mount, etc got them on paper. Sometimes their mount/scope was too crappy to get a zero with, but we could always get shots on paper, at least 1!
Old May 22, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Pahoo

$30.00

Last week, I owned five (5) bore sighters and sold one, which happened to be the exact BSA bore sighter, you are describing. Just never used it as I kept falling back on my other ones. I sold it for $30.00 and the dealer I sold it to, priced it at $45.00. Sounds like you might be missing one of the mandrels. I guess I would say that if someone is looking for one and "needs" to use it on shotguns and M/L's, then this is the one to use as you have it covered. Just personal but have never had any need to use one on a shotgun or M/L. I'm going to guess that yours is in pretty good shape and speaks to how little it was used or needed. I mostly use my Bushnells and LazerLyte. ....

Oh yes, Midway is selling theirs for $59.00. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 22, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
*NOVA*

If you rotate the boresight a full 360 degrees while it is mounted snugly inside the barrel it will probably describe a small circle on your paper - the center of which would in theory be very close to boresight. While indoors in rooms not longer than 25 feet if I had nothing better to do I use the boresight when remounting a scope on my hog killer Ruger Super Redhawk since you cannot look through the barrel.

Other than special applications like that, I have rarely used my boresight for anything else.

In a nutshell, for any barrel you CANNOT look straight through. the laser boresight will help.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
g.willikers

There are better ways, these days, but it will work if the gun, the bore sight and the scope are all perfectly level.
To achieve that requires a good gun vise, and some small bubble levels.
Along with dependable scope mounts, of course.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

They are really not intended for sighting in a rifle. They are intended for gunsmiths or others who mount scopes to do so in such a way that the rifle will shoot at least on the target paper at 50 or 100 yards.

If the boresight can do that, then it is up to the shooter to finish the job by adjusting the sights to hit the point of aim.

Jim
Old June 7, 2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Roughedge

Gunsmiths dont use anything made by BSA , I have a site-a-line that sells for around $300.00 . Its still gets you on the paper at 50 but its consistant.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
dahermit

I think that I still have one around here someplace. I did use it. It always got me on the paper at 100 yards, but they were "killed off" when inexpensive laser bore sighters became available.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
JerryM

I never owned or used one, but have wondered if it would be useful to check the zero on a rifle after a plane trip or fall. I thought maybe it would show a change from previously.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.