The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 22, 2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Idahoser

Repeal the NFA - petition at WhiteHouse.gov

This was the first bad gun law that has led to the massive nest of bad gun laws we live with today. Repealing it is the RIGHT way to start getting it right.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa
Old January 22, 2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Rob62

I don't know how much good this will do. But I signed it. I was #502.
Old January 22, 2017, 05:22 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Pardon my prediction of doom and gloom, but I believe this will fail.

It is simply TOO MUCH, TOO SOON.

80+ years of established law, and brainwashing from our entertainment (including so called "news") media is not going to be overturned easily or quickly.

NO ONE who is not already a full auto enthusiast, or wishes to be one, will support this.

GUTTING the NFA 34, step by step has a SMALL chance. Removing silencers from the NFA is a worthwhile endeavor. It has a small chance of actually succeeding. Repealing the 86 Hughes amendment, alone, has a small chance, (and no one seems to be talking about that at the present...)

Demanding the repeal of the entire act does not stand the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.
Old January 22, 2017, 07:49 PM   #4
Tinbucket

Repeal of NFA petition at White Hosue. gov

If you don't sign, if you don't participate, if you allow the Liberals/Marxist to, maintain control, because people say what's the use, it won't happen, indeed it won't pessimism is self fulfilling.
A lot more people would sign it they knew of it. Nothing anywhere in the press, I saw.
Everyone that supports our Second Amendment, our Constitution will sign it if they know of it.
Those that say well I do but but but not this part, or such will try to kill it.
They are not Supports of the Constitution. They want to pick it apart to their specifications.
Old January 22, 2017, 07:54 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

We have far more important things to than NFA repeal. SCOTUS, national carry, suppressors, reducing bureaucracy, just on the gun rights side alone, for us to expend political capital on opening the NFA registry. Isn't going to happen, period.
Old January 22, 2017, 11:09 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

The new administration has promised to be more "friendly" to our rights. Right now, its still a promise, nothing more.

There are many ways to knock down a wall of bricks. You can ram your head against it, until one of you gives up, or you can chip away the mortar and shove the bricks down.

You can do it in a moment if you have a wrecking ball (we don't). We know the foundation is flawed, but the wall itself is still pretty sturdy.

We know the wall is in the wrong place, but the trouble is, a lot of people believe that the wall protects them, and even though they may agree its was built wrong, they don't want it torn down.

Another trouble is that public opinion has been trained for generations that machine guns are not like other guns, and not for ordinary folk.

I do agree, its our natural right, but none of our rights is absolute, and we compromise every day in some way or other. "your right to swing your fist ends at my nose" for one example.

One of my friends, as staunch a personal rights supporter as you are likely to run across, and who does support the right to arms, would be against allowing machineguns to be owned and sold like other firearms. We had this discussion decades ago. She agrees, they are our right, BUT there are "just too many crazies in the world" so we need restrictive control. As she put it, "I would trust YOU with one, but not everyone else".

I think you will find some variant of that attitude among a lot of people who fully support the rest of our right to keep and bear arms.

In other words, don't expect everyone who supports a national carry system "like drivers licenses" to support "putting machine guns on the street" (and that's likely one of the least inflammatory "headlies" the other side will call it.

Hi! I'm taking a poll, do you support putting cheap legal machine guns in the hands of drug dealers, thieves and rapists on our streets?"
(this isn't as close to sarcasm as it might seem)

I think this is too much, too soon, I think its the wrong tactic, and I think it has the risk of strengthening that "wall" WHEN it fails.

If you want the wall gone (and we do) the way to do that is show & convince the contractor it doesn't meet code, and they will tear it down. (what they will build as a replacement is a different matter...)

Study the Miller case, I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that essentially the court said "we have been shown no evidence" disputing the Govt. case. That evidence DOES exist. IF we can get a current high court to see that evidence, they should rule the earlier court ruling invalid.

OF course, that also depends on who is on that court and if they see the law the way we do, or if they have an agenda to see it differently.

Which is why the people the new administration will, eventually, add to the court is such a vital matter.

Looking at the petition site, I do wonder, it appears that, assuming they get the required number of signatures, that it is going to be submitted to the White House.

The President can suggest, maybe order the matter pursued, but cannot legally do anything to change existing law. Congress can. The Supreme Court can, in a limited sense (declare void), but the Executive can't. Why are they petitioning them??
Old January 22, 2017, 11:38 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Our gun rights were taken away incrementally and, as much as I want them all back RIGHT NOW! I think they need to be regained incrementally. I have no hankering to own a machine gun. I can't afford to buy that much ammo, and I can't reload it fast enough to keep up. I am far more interested in making suppressors easier to own and getting national reciprocity enacted.

If we can get those, then the next target I'd like to confront is those states such as CA, CT, MA, NY, and ??? that have AWBs in place. A run-of-the-mill, semi-auto AR-15 is not an "assault weapon." Laws characterizing it as such need to be preempted at the national level.
Old January 23, 2017, 04:03 AM   #8
kozak6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Repealing the 86 Hughes amendment, alone, has a small chance, (and no one seems to be talking about that at the present...)
Sign here, please:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ghes-amendment

I don't think the Hearing Protection Act nor repealing the Hughes Amendment have much of a chance. I would be absolutely thrilled to be wrong, though.
Old January 23, 2017, 06:42 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

For the record, those petitions to the White House require an official response when the 100,000 signature threshold is reached. No other action is generated unless the President agrees with taking action, which may just be a discussion with Congressional leadership up to requesting repeal.

All you're going to see is a response. "Not feasible at this time".
Old January 25, 2017, 07:52 AM   #10
spacecoast

Signed both.
Old January 26, 2017, 04:59 PM   #11
ShootistPRS

I signed both too but It would make more of an impact if you wrote a letter, sent an email and/or telephoned your representatives.