The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #451
Chaz88

Quote:
Iowa has Scholastic Trap teams. Scholastic Clay Target Program
Yes but many of them have been totally cut off from school support. If it was not for the Scholastic Clay Target program, the unbelievably generous support of Larry and Brenda Potterfield, owners of Midway USA, and club fundraising they could not survive at all.

I can not say enough good things about the Potterfields. They donate millions every year to shooting sports programs and the NRA.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:06 PM   #452
JimDandy

I was just offering proof the shooting clubs Derius_T referenced still existed since he was unsure.
Old April 21, 2013, 12:34 AM   #453
Derius_T

Thank you Jim, much appreciated.

What do you think about a proposition to make it mandatory that those types of programs (safety, ect) be offered in public schools, but not made mandatory to participate in? It seems that firearms and especially safety and awareness training and familiarity would go a long, long way towards the goal of reducing crimes committed with firearms by ensuring a safe and responsible citizenry.
(look at the Swiss as an example)
Old April 21, 2013, 03:07 AM   #454
Kimio

You can have all the training in the world and still be irresponsible, but I'm open to the idea of at least having it as an option for those who have the desire to learn.
Old April 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #455
Derius_T

Agreed but from my own personal experience those who grow up from a young age learning firearms safety and responsible handling also develop a healthy respect for what they can do.

The biggest advantage to an informed, educated populace is that they cannot be lied to concerning guns, because they know better first hand, and they are less likely to allow themselves to be disarmed or have their rights trampled for a known lie.

With a vast percentage of the current populace having either no experience at all with guns of any kind, or worse getting their only "experience" from anti-gun propaganda, video games, tv or hollywood, they are easily frightened into giving up something that they care nothing about or see no use for in the first place.

Education to counter the lies and show the positive side to guns instead of nothing but the negative is a major key to keeping our 2A freedoms alive.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #456
Chaz88

Quote:
I was just offering proof the shooting clubs Derius_T referenced still existed since he was unsure.
Was not trying to say you are wrong. Just pointing out that many of the clubs exist in spite of the schools. The ones I am familiar with receive nothing but push back from the school they are "associated" with and would not exist at all if not for the continued work of adult volunteers and the support I mentioned before.

The schools want to say they have the programs on one hand and at the same time have the ability to deny that they give any support to them with the other.

This is particularly noticeable at the college level of the scholastic programs. The college wants the club to exist, as a selling point, but at the same time hinders the club fundraising and activities as much as they can.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #457
JimDandy

Quote:
The college wants the club to exist, as a selling point, but at the same time hinders the club fundraising and activities as much as they can.
Do you have first hand knowledge of this stuff, being a coach/adult leader/current club officer type of person?

If so, how does that jibe with the girl getting Youtube fame for claiming she's got scholarship offers already for her shooting?
Old April 21, 2013, 03:08 PM   #458
MLeake

JimDandy, not sure what girl you mean, but are you sure her scholarships were offered by the school she would attend?

Many scholarships are offered by alumni groups, foundations, or sport associations, and not directly from schools.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:05 PM   #459
JimDandy

This young lady.
Did a web search and found her.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:23 PM   #460
Glenn E. Meyer

We are starting to wander a bit. Anything to say about the bill?

Feel free to start a thread on school teams, etc.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #461
gc70

Does anyone know whether S.649 can remain suspended on the Senate calendar until the end of the current session of Congress at the end of 2014, or does it have some type of shorter shelf-life?
Old April 21, 2013, 08:01 PM   #462
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

As far as I'm aware, it can sit around until the end of the session.

Which, of course, means it can be brought forward at any time until them.