The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2015, 08:04 AM   #1
wheelgunfan

RMR/X-treme 9mm & 357 bullets oversize

Does anyone find their Xtreme plated bullets to be oversized?
I ordered both the 9mm match plated RN and .357 plated HP. On the plus side I find they load to a very consistant COL but both bullets are oversized with the 9mm @ .356 and the 357 coming in at +.358. I have no other 9mm to measure as a comparison but I have both Montana gold JHP and remington jsp in 357, both of which measure exactly.357

Not sure if this should be a concern or not as I have little reloading experience. Also it is my understanding the lead used in the RMR bullets is quite soft, just not sure if this would make any difference.

Anyone else find the same in their bullets and should this be a concern or no?
Old April 15, 2015, 03:08 PM   #2
sawdustdad

They are basically lead bullets with a thin copper plating, so I think they may be sized as lead rather than as jacketed. I've used a bunch of them, but to be honest, I never put a mic to them. I'll check tonight if I remember, I've got both on hand.
Old April 15, 2015, 03:46 PM   #3
higgite

Quote:
RMR/X-treme 9mm & 357 bullets oversize
Quote:
Anyone else find the same in their bullets and should this be a concern or no?
FWIW, I just bought some Xtreme and some RMR 124gr plated. I measured 20 of each with calipers when I received them. Every Xtreme HPCB was .3555" and every RMR Hardcore Match RN was .3565". No concern here. They load and shoot fine and I can't tell the difference in the size of the holes they make.
Old April 15, 2015, 05:45 PM   #4
skizzums

I believe extreme bullets advertises their sizes at .356 for 9mm and .358 for .38cal just as any cast bullet company would. Sounds like they are sized just right.

True jacketed bullets will measure .355 and .357 because they are not soft like plated swaged lead.

I stand corrected, just looked at the website and advertised at .355. I could almost swear they used to be .001 over last year.

Last edited by skizzums; April 15, 2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:58 PM   #5
wheelgunfan

Ok, I take it as nothing to be worried with.
Thanks all for the input.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:59 AM   #6
snuffy

Extreme,(formerly west coast), bullets claim to be double struck. That means the bare lead core is sized, then plated, then sized again. Of course the bare slug is sized maybe .348, then copper plating to arrive at .356. That means .004 thickness of the plating. Extreme also claims to have the thickest plating of the big three, rainer being the thinnest, berry's next in line.

I just finished loading 500 of the extreme 115 RN. Since the major diameter is inside the case mouth, I can't mike one.

Question is, who cares? If the brass doesn't size the bullet a bit when seating, the barrel darn sure will when it's fired.

The extreme bullets that I've used all shot very well. I've been using them since before they changed names. For 40's 38's 45's and nine mm.

Now that I'm powder coating, I will use a lot fewer plated bullets. No smoke, no leading and no copper fouling, what's not to like?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?