The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2022, 09:32 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Next Rifle Ordered

I sold my Browning X-Bolt 308 and decided to replace it with something more for prone use. You know, tacti cool cause I don't have anything that fits that intended purpose now. All joking aside, there are some F-Class matches nearby me that allow only 308 or 223. I also want something that I could use for varmint, steel hunting. It was important to me to find a factory rifle that had a stock Ideal for prone shooting with an adjustable comb and LOP. I also wanted something with widely available aftermarket support and easy to change barrels on with limited tools.

I ended up ordering a Savage 10 GRS in 308 Win. Well, today the rifle arrived at the local gun shop. Figures it would show up when I have to wait a little over a week before I pick it up (no way I could get away with spending $1,300 in between paydays). Anyway, I went to check it over and make sure it was all good before buying it.

I was skeptical how the rifle would look in person as photos of the GRS stock make them look pretty ugly. Don't really care about ugly that much though, and I was super interested in the offset grip on the stock and it met all of my other requirements. Turns out, I like that gun a lot more than I anticipated. The stock is far better looking in person, and feels unnaturally natural in hand. HEHE.

Anyway, now I have to decide what scope to put on it. I have a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 available since I put my Leupold VXR on my hunting rifle. I am kind of thinking I want to buy one of the new Arken EP5 5-25x56. They are getting a lot of attention right now and I have their previous model and it has been excellent. The other options I have considered are Vortex Razor HD LHT, or an Athlon Ares ETR.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 21, 2022, 01:38 AM   #2
stagpanther

Sounds like a great set-up. I don't know about you, but I feel my VX 5 HD is one of the best scopes I've ever owned, I've gotten to the point where I switch it out among several rifles. But it's always tempting to try something new.
Old January 21, 2022, 09:46 AM   #3
kilotanker22

I agree, my VX5 HD is easily my favorite scope that I own
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 22, 2022, 08:14 AM   #4
std7mag

I haven't heard of any range that does strictly F-TR only.
I do have a local range that has Service Rifle matches. Which service isn't specified, so there are a hodge podge of service rifles from around the world being used, along with all the varying cartridges.

The GRS stocks have interested me. For the price they seem like well made, out of the box designs.

You don't mention what distance you'll be shooting.
Sounds like the Arken may be an excellent, budget friendly option.
The Sightron SIII 8-32 are a good scooe also.

Whose barrel have you chosen to screw on next?
Shooting F-TR & varmints, you'll shoot the barrel out faster than you think.
Be prepared!
The wait times on some barrels is 6 months or more.

When your at that point, check with @OldRoper, he has some good info on in stock barrels!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; January 22, 2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 22, 2022, 02:41 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
I haven't heard of any range that does strictly F-TR only.
I do have a local range that has Service Rifle matches. Which service isn't specified, so there are a hodge podge of service rifles from around the world being used, along with all the varying cartridges.

The GRS stocks have interested me. For the price they seem like well made, out of the box designs.

You don't mention what distance you'll be shooting.
Sounds like the Arken may be an excellent, budget friendly option.
The Sightron SIII 8-32 are a good scooe also.

Whose barrel have you chosen to screw on next?
Shooting F-TR & varmints, you'll shoot the barrel out faster than you think.
Be prepared!
The wait times on some barrels is 6 months or more.

When your at that point, check with @OldRoper, he has some good info on in stock barrels!
I put a Criterion MTU barrel on my Save 110 Tactical last year and have been quite impressed with the quality of that barrel for the price. Northland Shooter Supply keeps Savage small shank barrels from Criterion in stock. I will probably choose to keep this gun as a 308 Win. I figure I should get around 5,000 shots from this barrel. Even if I have to order a barrel, if I order it this summer, I will have the barrel before I need it.

The group at my local range does several kinds of matches. They do rimfire, they do an F-Open type match where you can use pretty much anything, and a small group of guys do matches at 300 yards that only allow .223 Rem and 308 Win. That range is limited to 300 yards. I have a friend with property I can shoot on and I can get out to about 900 yards there. Another local farm I can get out to about 1100 yards. When I get the new rifle and finish load development, I will have a better idea how far I will be willing to shoot it. I am assuming that with a 308- and 20-inch barrel I will subsonic shy of 1000 yards. I am not sure if I will be able to get the velocity I need to keep the 168 grain ELD Match bullet supersonic to 1000.

With my 22 inch Browning X-Bolt, I was able to get 2730 with the same bullet and a healthy dose of Varget. To answer your question directly, I think I will limit this rifle to 800-1000 yards. Wherever I enter that transonic range in velocity.
– St. Augustine
Old January 22, 2022, 08:18 PM   #6
hounddawg

Quote:
When I get the new rifle and finish load development, I will have a better idea how far I will be willing to shoot it. I am assuming that with a 308- and 20-inch barrel I will subsonic shy of 1000 yards. I am not sure if I will be able to get the velocity I need to keep the 168 grain ELD Match bullet supersonic to 1000.
a stiff dose of Varget and some Berger 155.5 fullbores are your best best for 1 K +. That 20 inch barrel is going to hobble you anyway you go for LR. I have went to 22 and 24 inchers even on the AR's I am playing with now and I am limited to 850 unless I drive half a day
Old January 23, 2022, 08:47 AM   #7
std7mag

Freind & i did some workups with his Model 10LE a few years ago.
He was planning on shooting 600 yard F-Class with it.
Right off the bat the 2 limiting factors were the stock & his choice of optics.

It shot well with the 168gr class of match bullets out to 600 yards.
Where it really shined was with the Sierra Palma bullets!
The 2 best powders we found for it was Varget & RL15.

I'm most interested in hearing feedback on the GRS stock!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 23, 2022, 10:27 AM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
a stiff dose of Varget and some Berger 155.5 fullbores are your best best for 1 K +. That 20 inch barrel is going to hobble you anyway you go for LR. I have went to 22 and 24 inchers even on the AR's I am playing with now and I am limited to 850 unless I drive half a day
I won't be shooting the Palma bullets right away. I have a pretty good stock of the 168 ELD bullets. When I do replace the barrel, I will probably use a 24 inch barrel. I do really like the balance with the 20 inch barrel though.

I guess I could leave it as is. If I want to shoot past 600 yards I can just take one of my 6.5 Manbun rifles.
– St. Augustine
Old January 24, 2022, 10:04 PM   #9
kilotanker22

I am going to pick this rifle up tomorrow. Hopefully I can be at the range by the weekend to test her out.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2022, 07:54 PM   #10
Road_Clam

I shoot F Class at my club and it's always a mixed bag of rifle classifications. Most guys are just casual shooters running 6.5CM's which places in the "Open" class. I like to mix it up. Sometimes I feel like FT-R , sometimes i'm in the mood to shoot vintage Service Rifle like my 1903A4. I enjoy variety.
Old January 27, 2022, 01:47 PM   #11
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Freind & i did some workups with his Model 10LE a few years ago.
He was planning on shooting 600 yard F-Class with it.
Right off the bat the 2 limiting factors were the stock & his choice of optics.

It shot well with the 168gr class of match bullets out to 600 yards.
Where it really shined was with the Sierra Palma bullets!
The 2 best powders we found for it was Varget & RL15.

I'm most interested in hearing feedback on the GRS stock!
So far, I like the GRS stock a lot. It is ultra-comfortable and well made. I ended up putting a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 on it. Got a new batch of brass and primers in for it, so now I just need to fireform the new brass and then begin load development. I bought some cheap Speer Hot-Cor bullets to fireform with as they are a fair clip less expensive than the ELD Match bullets.

Gonna get to the range with it this weekend.
– St. Augustine
Old February 3, 2022, 03:40 PM   #12
kilotanker22

This gun is a pleasure to shoot. The ergonomics of the stock have clearly been thoroughly planned out.

I think velocity won't be a huge problem with this gun. Using the same charge of BLC-(2) I used with my other 308 rifles and the 168 grain ELD Match bullet, my average velocity was 2675 fps. I have not run the numbers yet, but that bullet has a pretty high BC for a 168 grain .308 bullet, .523 for G1. I am guessing that this bullet at that speed will get me to about 900 yards supersonic. I will check on the Hornady DOF app later.
– St. Augustine
Old February 3, 2022, 03:42 PM   #13
kilotanker22

Fogot to mention that I am only 35fps slower with this gun than the Browning with a 22" barrel. For my purposes, I think the 20 inch barrel will do nicely.
– St. Augustine