The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 26, 2021, 02:24 AM   #1
chris in va

Lever 357/38 sights?

I have a Henry 357/38 and currently has the stock buckhorn rear and fiber front. I'd like to get something more 'precise' but the POI changes between the two cartridges at longer ranges so I think peeps are out.

Suggestions?
Old December 26, 2021, 07:56 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

I use the notch in the rear sight for close shots and the buckhorn part as a semi ghost ring for longer shots. Works fairly good with practice. You can also alternate using the notch and switch between a six o’clock hold and a combat hold depending on target size and close/ intermediate distance. Mostly all these techniques just require a fair amount of practice but can yield pretty good results.
Old December 26, 2021, 08:49 AM   #3
BornFighting88

Williams or Lyman make some nice aftermarket deals.
Old December 26, 2021, 11:31 AM   #4
WyMark

I have a Skinner peep on my Henry 38/357 and it works pretty well with either, just have to adjust my POA.
Old December 26, 2021, 11:49 AM   #5
stagpanther

Problem with the buckhorn leaf is that the leaf can jump a notch under recoil if the ladder is not held tight, it has never stayed in place on my big boy 45-70.
Old December 27, 2021, 09:08 AM   #6
littlebikerider

I have a Henry .327FM and added an adjustable Marbles tang sight. With this setup you can quickly change for a particular distance and load. You just have to spend a little time at the range to determine how many clicks you need for each load.
Old December 27, 2021, 02:13 PM   #7
chris in va

Thanks, on a side note the sight is hanging off the left edge in the dovetail but the buckhorn itself is centered, is that normal? Looks like the dovetail or wedge got cut wrong.
Old December 30, 2021, 06:59 AM   #8
littlebikerider

My guess is that the barrel cut is ok but the sight is bent funny. You could probably tap the sight out and check it with a straight edge. Of course, it wont matter if you change to a tang or receiver mounted sight.
Old December 30, 2021, 08:45 AM   #9
mehavey

Quote:
the sight is hanging off the left edge in the dovetail but the buckhorn itself is centered
Since both sights are on the barrel itself, that's kinda hard to do unless the barrel were somehow "bent."
I'd go with the front sight being somewhat off perpendicular at 1st blush.

RE-READING: Are you saying the rear sight appears not to have the buckhorn leaf spring centered on the base? i.e., the rear sight leaf spring is warped/offset from right angle ?

Last edited by mehavey; December 30, 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old December 31, 2021, 12:26 AM   #10
chris in va

Yes, the sight base in the dovetail is hanging off the edge but the buckhorn is centered on the barrel.

I contacted Henry, they want me to send it in. They indicated the dovetail or sight may have been machined improperly.
Old January 1, 2022, 06:58 PM   #11
Rob228

I personally went with a Skinner on mine, I've got a few parts from Ranger Point and have no issues with their quality. It looks like you may get easier/more adjustment out of them. Two different styles, one fits in your existing dovetail the other is receiver mounted.

https://rangerpointstore.com/replace...erture-spring/

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-...le-peep-sights
Old January 1, 2022, 08:39 PM   #12
TBM900

Another vote for Skinner Sights, I have them on several carbines
I don't normally switch between calibers
But I have tried it in the past and all I had to do was rotate the peep 180 and it worked perfectly