The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2018, 12:16 PM   #1
cptmclark

Savage 69 operation

I've been asked to try to fix friends Savage 69 shotgun. It's my first look at this model. The gun isn't feeding from the magazine, and there was a live shell in the mag. I've done the obvious things and disassembled it, and the cartridge retention spring is easy to see. I took it out and it does't look damaged.

However, I can't find how the cartridge stop is activated to allow a shell to move out of the magazine.. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old December 13, 2018, 03:06 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Rummage around here for a manual. None on any of the regular sites.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/...p?item_id=2144
Old December 13, 2018, 06:41 PM   #3
cptmclark

Savage 69 xxx slide shotgun

Thanks but my rummaging didn't find any help.
I'm still looking for instruction on how the cartridge latch works, so that I can see what's wrong. Looks about like 1/2 of the 870, but I can't find info on that. It works just fine, but I cant see what part works it. Maybe this is a secret part.
Any body know this shotgun? It used to be very popular and was issued to some folks in Vietnam. Possible it works the same as the Rem, except for only one latch.
Old December 15, 2018, 01:15 PM   #4
weaselfire

Look up a Savage/Stevens/Springfield Model 67. Same gun, just not the law enforcement version. Numrich has diagram and parts.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old December 15, 2018, 08:09 PM   #5
brajen1

I'm with weasel. Blown up diagrams are gunsmithing gold lol
Old December 29, 2018, 09:32 AM   #6
cptmclark

Thanks for those who have tired to help.

After a huge amount of time trying to learn whats the problem with this 69, I'm afraid I'll have to give it back unfixed. Sadly, the certified gunsmith who had it last didn't get it working right either.

I replaced the shell release and retention part, and the slide release thinking that might help, but these bunches of stampings and bent springs are not teaching me what I need to know. It's probably something simple. The 870 is a piece of cake. The Youtube articles doesn't tell me and the schematics have the release upside down, but its not hard to see that. Apparently there's no one is messing with these old guns, which weren't very good in the first pace. At least in this lot.

Any one who has actual experience and can advise me on actually fixing these specific function would be a blessing.

Humbled Mike