The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 7, 2020, 11:17 AM   #1
ghbucky

Looking to put backup Iron sights on my rifle and I'm lost

Looking for some help on adding iron sights to an Anderson AM-15

I want to put folding iron sights that will be absolute co-witness with a Leupold 1x 34mm Freedom RDS

I've looked at Optics planet, and they show listings for a Troy Front M4 Folding Gas Block Mounted BattleSight. Which, I figured was intended to compensate for the lower mount height on the gas block.

I contacted Troy and asked them to recommend a set for what I am doing and the answer just left me confused.
Quote:
Thank you for your email and your interest in Troy products. We make two sights; Standard M4 Height and Micro Height. The measurement to the center of the standard aperture is 1.36”. The measurement to the center of the micro aperture is 1.16”. The standard M4 Height sights are meant for Mil-spec AR flat top receivers/rails. The Micros are meant for the enhanced weapons such as the IAR, Robinson armament XCR and other weapons with raised top rails.
At this point, I have no idea how to accomplish what I want to do, other than just ordering stuff and trying it. Can anyone help me figure this out?
Old August 7, 2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

co witness is generally a function of your optic mount/base/rings, not the sights. Also be careful with mounting on a gas block. Metal will be about your only option as polymer tends to melt, gas block get very hot. Another side effect is with a hot gas block and pop up sight you will need gloves if you intend to use the backup during shooting or you will burn the daylights out of your fingers.

Personally I went with a free float rail and mounted a polymer backup to the front of the rail. Eliminates the gas block issue as well as giving you a longer sight radius.
Old August 7, 2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

The gas block on the AM-15 is lower than receiver height, so you need a taller gas block. Someone else in the reviews commented the sight you linked to works fine on his AM-15, so it sounds like you have the right front sight. Now you just need a standard, M4-height rear sight; because it will be mounted to the receiver.

You do not want the micro height.
Old August 7, 2020, 04:40 PM   #4
zukiphile

UTG makes a gas block height front sight. I don't have one, but it gets good reviews.

https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mt-7...t-sight-black/
Old August 7, 2020, 05:49 PM   #5
ghbucky

Quote:
UTG makes a gas block height front sight. I don't have one, but it gets good reviews.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, Troy tells me that they no longer make the sight I was looking at, so no color choices are available. The UTG sight looks good!
Old August 7, 2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post
Thanks!

Unfortunately, Troy tells me that they no longer make the sight I was looking at, so no color choices are available. The UTG sight looks good!
they do make some flip up options gas block height, midwest industries and yakee hill but they are in the 60-70 range. If your good with fixed front go with the UTG, looks like a great price.