The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Nathan

Best Optics Warranty

Who has it? Athlon, Vortex or Leupold......or Meopta...

OK, really just wondering if you ever turned in a Meopta for warranty work and what was your result?
Old July 20, 2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

Always heard Leupold and Vortex had the best warranties. Never had to send a scope in for work though so I cannot really say.
Old July 20, 2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I wanted to paint (spray and bake) a Vortex scope on my precision rifle. I called em and asked if the scope would be ok through this process. Their response...

“If you break it, we will replace it“....

Im a Vortex fan.
Old July 21, 2020, 10:09 AM   #4
bman940

I have been working with Meopta for over a year now and I can honestly say that I have not come across many warranty returns. Certainly, nothing compared to the company I last worked with for over 10 years. Meopta has excellent quality control and prides itself in not letting inferior products out the door. They have been an absolute pleasure to work with because of that philosophy. If you have any specific Meopta question's ask away. The new Optika5 should be out towards the end of Aug. if you haven't had a chance to check it out and you are looking for a new deer rifle optic.
Old July 21, 2020, 06:07 PM   #5
jdc606

Burris

I crushed the tube on a Burris Fullfield 6.5-20x50 by over-tightening the rings.Took the scope apart to learn there was nothing I could do to fix it. Sent it in for repair only partially assembled and Burris sent me back a new one, no cost. I would expect replacement if manufactured component failure, but not due to user error.
Old July 21, 2020, 06:27 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Who has it? Athlon, Vortex or Leupold......or Meopta...

OK, really just wondering if you ever turned in a Meopta for warranty work and what was your result?
I have plenty of Meoptas and never had one tear up. I guess thats a good problem to have.
Leupold and Burris warranty is in my experience excellent.
Old July 21, 2020, 06:29 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
I have been working with Meopta for over a year now and I can honestly say that I have not come across many warranty returns. Certainly, nothing compared to the company I last worked with for over 10 years. Meopta has excellent quality control and prides itself in not letting inferior products out the door. They have been an absolute pleasure to work with because of that philosophy. If you have any specific Meopta question's ask away. The new Optika5 should be out towards the end of Aug. if you haven't had a chance to check it out and you are looking for a new deer rifle optic.
Optika 6 is out now. I have seen them listed as in stock ready to ship. Are they different than the Optika 5? Never heard of the 5.
If you dont mind, can you tell me the difference in Optika 5, 6, and Meopro, other than the obvious range of zoom?
Old July 22, 2020, 11:40 AM   #8
std7mag

I always scratch my head every time i see these optics warranty threads.
I can't help but wonder what the heck you people do to your scopes.
Or what you plan on doing to your scope.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 22, 2020, 12:21 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
You'd be surprised. I was once out hunting Grizzly in Alaska and emptied the entire magazine of my 416 Weatherby magnum rifle but the bear didn't go down, in fact he came charging right at me and I thought I was toast. Fortunately, I had a Nightforce with a QD mount and at the last second I popped it off my rifle and hit the bear over the head so hard it knocked him out. It didn't even lose zero!
Old July 22, 2020, 04:21 PM   #10
greentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You'd be surprised. I was once out hunting Grizzly in Alaska and emptied the entire magazine of my 416 Weatherby magnum rifle but the bear didn't go down, in fact he came charging right at me and I thought I was toast. Fortunately, I had a Nightforce with a QD mount and at the last second I popped it off my rifle and hit the bear over the head so hard it knocked him out. It didn't even lose zero!

BWAHAHAHA! I needed that.
Old July 22, 2020, 06:50 PM   #11
bedlamite

I've used the warranty with two brands:

My Vortex HS-T fogged, I sent it in on a Monday, it was back on my rifle by Friday with a new objective lens set.

The zoom on my Nikon locked up. They told me it was from abuse and told me to go pound sand.
Old July 22, 2020, 09:00 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
I always scratch my head every time i see these optics warranty threads.
Or what you plan on doing to your scope.
I shoot the rifles they are on. Occasionally I drop one out of a tree or off the back of a truck. Usually recoil kills em.
Old July 24, 2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Picher

I have two things for mounting scopes that most people don't consider that makes it a much better job.

First, is powdered rosin that I use inside the scope rings to prevent slippage, even with magnums. Second is a special torque screwdriver especially made for mounting scopes, along with a pamphlet recommending torque used for various gun/scope screws. Over the years, I've had guns come in with broken-off base screws, and deformed scope tubes...from over-tightening . It's good to have a torque screwdriver to assure screws have adequate torque without damaging either screws or mount parts. Powdered rosin gives high gripping power to rings without threat of permanent adhesion. There's no reason to damage a scope or rifle just to make sure the scope won't slip. Red Locktite on base screws will assure that screws won't loosen. I also place a few drops under bases to prevent shifting under heavy recoil or fallen rifles.

It's also important to not lean scoped rifles against a wall, where they can get knocked down by either kids or rambunctious dogs. That happened to my son early one hunting morning. He went out of the room, looking for something and his dog knocked it to the floor. He didn't think he'd placed it there, but thought nothing of it, picked it up and was quickly out the door to go down back.

On his stool, placed in the woods access road a few minutes later, a nice buck came out about a hundred yards down the hill. He took careful aim and fired, but didn't hit it. Four shots later he still didn't hit it. It came back into the road from the opposite side and reloaded, he fired once more and missed.

Then, he looked at the scope and noticed that the objective was quite crooked, pushed downward toward the barrel.

A few minutes later, he was at my door with his rifle. I replaced the scope with my spare and we sighted it in and he was back in business.

After having his scope lying on the table in my shop for a while, I tried straightening it by laying it on my bench pad and "strategically" whacking it with my rubber mallet. It looked pretty good, so I mounted it on another rifle and gave it a whirl.

Everything worked fine and there were no creases, dents, etc. so it still resides on my rifle and my son still has the other scope, which is even better than the one bent by the dog.
Old July 29, 2020, 05:30 PM   #14
hounddog409

Vortex forever warranty.
Transferable. No receipt required.

The scope is warrantied forever, regardless who owns it.

Can't get better than that.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:46 PM   #15
wabo2190

Like other's have said Vortex is incredible when it comes to customer service. Transferable warranty and no reciept needed.