The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 9, 2020, 12:08 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Binoculars For Spotting

Last weekend I went to the range and long story short my spotting scope started giving me a headache after about 20 minutes of sighting in my new Galil Ace.

I've never been thrilled with the eye relief issues and strain it causes and am now considering replacing it with a pair of high end binoculars. This would be double beneficial because when they are not in my range bag I can put them in my boat and use 'em when I'm fishing to look for surfacing fish during the top-water season. Just gotta remember to not drop them in the lake

Anyone use binoculars instead of a scope?
Old July 9, 2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Pahoo

Yes, for short ranges

Quote:
Anyone use binoculars instead of a scope?
I hope I can be clear on this but yes, there are times when I use a monocular with a max power of 10. This is mostly for short range shooting like when we teach M/L's. It hangs from a lanyard around my neck and very handy. For longer ranges and if shooting with a buddy, I unload my rifle and use the higher power scope to spot for him. I also use a spotting scope that is clamped to the bench and it's a 60-power. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 9, 2020, 09:06 PM   #3
'88Scrat

Wow...

60 Power?! What is it exactly?
Old July 9, 2020, 10:11 PM   #4
pwc

Ok, I accept that people will not like what I say, but here goes....I don't like buying Chinese, but Harbor Freight had/has variable power spotting scope to 60X with 45° eyepiece for $29 two yrs ago. Little flimsy tripod. Go to camera shop and get adapter (I already had one) and use a camera tripod. Works great and I can see .22 holes at 100 yds easily.

I'd like to buy American but so many things are still made outside and "assembled in America". I go to Home Depot to get a 12" table saw blade for $90+ or go to HF and get the same blade for $29. Don't like it, but economics dictate.

Last edited by pwc; July 10, 2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old July 10, 2020, 02:25 AM   #5
std7mag

For what your planning on using them for, probably marine binoculars would suit you best.
Or
Get a better spotting scope.

Either way, i'd check out Celestron.
They make some pretty high end telescopes & microscopes, so should know a thing or 3 about good glass.
I have their C70 Mini Mak, and love it!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 10, 2020, 06:41 AM   #6
jmhyer

Decent high powered binos should do fine. Keep in mind that you will need a tripod adapter and a decent tripod in order to steady them sufficiently to see detail. And keep in mind that the tripod will need to place the binos at a sufficient height to be level with your line of sight...as opposed to an angled spotting scope that allows the scope to be below your line of sight.
Old July 10, 2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Bart B.

I've watched lots of people use binoculars spotting rifle bullet holes. Virtually all soon got a spotting scope with a stand to use in all positions.

Have you considered using a spotting scope with about 1 inch eye relief?

https://deanoptics.com/best-spotting...glass-wearers/

Those with 45 degree eyepiece are typically best when shooting rifles.

This one may be good....

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Ende.../dp/B08B4HWQPC

Last edited by Bart B.; July 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old July 11, 2020, 12:49 PM   #8
'88Scrat

Hmm those do look quality. The one I got is not super expensive, pretty low quality. I think it is time to upgrade, and I think I'll look into marine binoculars for the boat.
Old July 11, 2020, 01:05 PM   #9
'88Scrat

What about something $1000+?

Like Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD Full Size Binoculars - 15x56?
Old July 11, 2020, 01:35 PM   #10
tangolima

I tried binoculars. They don't work. Not without a tripod, especially so at high power settings.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old July 11, 2020, 03:27 PM   #11
Pahoo

Not lying, just confusing.

Quote:
60 Power?! What is it exactly?
Well, what it isn't is a 60X It's a 20X48 Bushnell. Been so long since I've used, that I forgot What it was. While looking, I also found my 25 and it's tripod. ..

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 17, 2020, 02:05 PM   #12
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
I tried binoculars. They don't work. Not without a tripod, especially so at high power settings.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

True

Depending upon how far, it is hard to steady the binoculars.

I prefer a spotting scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 17, 2020, 06:54 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

I use binoculars for 50 yards or less. Gets a little too shakey for 100 yards. Quicker for me to use a spotting scope on a tripod.
Old July 18, 2020, 12:22 PM   #14
skywag

The only good binoculars are image stabilized.

ANYTHING not, no matter what inflated price, is like driving a Model "T"
Old July 18, 2020, 06:58 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

my dad and I just went down this road. It is hard (or VERY expensive) to find binoculars in the same power range as a spotting scope (that are not garbage). There are a few options but I would stay away from Barska. We tried the gladiator 20-60x70s. the lenses were pointed in different directions, wicked double vision, and everything was dark and grainy. You need a spotting scope with decent eye relief.
Old July 18, 2020, 09:21 PM   #16
7.62 man

I bought a cheap kids telescope that has a cell phone attachment, I think it is about an 80 power.
I just set it up next to the shooting table & put my cell phone on it focused on the target. Every shot I can see plain as day by looking at the image on my phone.
Old July 19, 2020, 06:55 AM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Long time boater here, and I learned from my grandfather. Everything I have ever read or heard or been told is that binoculars for use on water should not be stronger than 7x because boats rock, and anything stronger than 7x magnifies small movements so much that they are essentially useless. The binoculars I have always used on the boat have been 6x35 or 7x50. For hiking I have a pair of small 10x.

A spotting scope is generally 60x at minimum. That's what I have, and for .223 beyond 100 yards I would really prefer more power than that. I don't think you're going to be happy using binoculars in place of a spotting scope.
Jeepaholic
Old July 19, 2020, 07:33 AM   #18
eastbank

do not skimp on the tripod, a good one is not cheap. but well worth the cost in the long run.
Old July 19, 2020, 11:46 AM   #19
Ricklin

Listen up

Pay attention to what Aguila Blanca has to say.

Well unless you are dropping the big bucks on stabilized binoculars. Might be able to use up to 10X on a cruise ship.
For pleasure boats, maximum for binoculars is 7X or LESS.
Old July 19, 2020, 01:12 PM   #20
ms6852

Binoculars have their uses but not when it comes to spotting hits or bullet holes at various distances. The problem with this type of thinking many times boils down to finances and the willingness to buy and pay for good optics.

As you age your vision will begin to falter. Have the patience and save money for a good spotting scope, and most importantly pay for a good tripod too, if you hunt save the money for a good pair of binos. Over 27 years ago I spent the money for a Nikon Fieldscope with ED glass and continue to use it. My brother has bought 3 since than and has paid more over the long run than I have.

When it comes to optics you don't have to spend thousands as at a certain point the return is not there but do buy good quality that may cost a few hundred dollars and not a couple of hundred dollars, that way you can enjoy your optics the rest of your life.

Last edited by ms6852; July 19, 2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old July 23, 2020, 10:35 AM   #21
Maxx515

Sometimes I truly think that instead of binoculars - it's way more easier to use monocular, especially if it's all about conditions of total darkness. I like night vision ones like these ( https://www.agmglobalvision.com/nigh...ion-monoculars ), but talking of AGM, you should consider not just about quality, but pay attention to the price of them, it can be look like a little bit high.