The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 15, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
stonewall50

What would it take to abandon your AR15?

I am framing this question in the context of what draws you to the AR15. And what would have to be surpassed by another design to make you pick that weapon instead of an AR15?

Personally? I’m a bit of a hipster with the whole rifle craze. If someone gave me a lot of money and forced me to buy a 5.56/semi auto (ok would it really be forcing me? Lol)...it would be an AUG. probably one that takes STANAGs. Why? Because they are plenty reliable, short barrel length overall with a full size legal barrel, and they are different lol. Plus I’m a shotgunner by nature.

So guys. What would you have to have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 15, 2018, 01:53 PM   #2
rickyrick

It would have to have parts available everywhere that can be assembled in the garage with common tools in order to replace the AR15 for me.
That’s the main draw to them for me. I can put together one with the specs I want or can afford at my leisure.
Old May 15, 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Pahoo

Never had a need to "abandon" any forearm

Quote:
I have never felt that I would have to abandon any firearm, including an AR. Your question is suspect in the way you phrase it. ....
Quote:
So guys. What would you have to have?
I know a number of dealers/buyers who buy these during normal times until the next political scare and then flip them to make some money. I think this is a silly practice but to each, his own. ...

Be Safe !!!!
Old May 15, 2018, 02:13 PM   #4
TXAZ

Death or a felony conviction?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 15, 2018, 02:35 PM   #5
riffraff

If a good standardized/accepted/economic patter arises that does all the things an AR15 can but is better. Seems unlikely because the AR15 is so practical and well deployed today but anything is possible..

If .308 was a little cheaper or there was good support for say a 5.56 upper on a better standardized AR10/LR308 lower (with cheap mags etc etc).. I might not even own an AR15 and instead would have all AR10s since it would only take 1 pattern for a wide array of calibers.
Old May 15, 2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Ive had an AUG (Microtech), HK’s (91 & 94) and AK’s.

The AR pattern rifles just have better ergos...period.

Maybe its just because thats what i grew up on. USMC, LEO and Govt contracting all using M16’s of one flavor or another. Any other rifle just doesnt handle or fit as well. Maybe after a generation of Israelis use the Tavor, they will say the same thing about that system.

For me, something pretty revolutionary will have to come around before i give up my tried and true AR rifles.
Old May 15, 2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Reloadron

Quote:
I am framing this question in the context of what draws you to the AR15. And what would have to be surpassed by another design to make you pick that weapon instead of an AR15?
During 1969 the Marine Corps handed me an M14 rifle and taught me how to shoot it. During 1972 that same Marine Corps handed me an M16 as a then 22 year old young Marine when I exited a plane in Vietnam. While having an M14 and M16 aren't in my present budget having a M1A and Colt SP1 are well within my budget and I have no plans top part with either. Matter of fact I have two Colt SP1 rifles, a Colt AR 15 Target Rifle and a mixed breed AR 15. If I want another rifle or handgun I just add it. I would also like a 1911 Government issue as I also had one in Vietnam. Anyway, nothing is going to get me to part with anything I have. I may add but my guns will be here for the kids and grand kids after I am dead and gone.

Ron
Old May 15, 2018, 04:03 PM   #8
xandi

A plasma rifle in the 40 watt range(;
Old May 15, 2018, 04:34 PM   #9
lunger

Cold dead fingers
Old May 15, 2018, 07:26 PM   #10
Willie D

$$$$

I'd take plenty of other rifles if they were cheaper with plentiful parts. AR does the job at a reasonable price.

Bullpups have terrible triggers, I'm going to wager you haven't shot one much for accuracy.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:30 PM   #11
FITASC

What would it take? A trip to Italy for a bespoke Perazzi 28 gauge with engraving by Creative Arts or the Fracassi father/daughter team
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 15, 2018, 07:41 PM   #12
HiBC

I too,am skeptical of your question.

I choose my tools (at least in part) based on the job I want to do.
If you have ever been to a shooting match using traditional black powder rifles,you willlikely see some folks demonstrating some very impressive shooting,standing on their hind legs with primitive iron sights.
Splitting the ball shooting at an ax head,for example.

With these rifles,form followed function.They were made to suit the rifleman.

Wars came along.The Mauser,for example. Those precisely held for an offhand shot were likely targets who died.It was better to shoot with your belly in the mud.A rifle needed to be a club,a bludgeon,a staff,and a handle for a bayonet.

From the military rifle,gunsmiths and riflemen evolved the modern bolt action sporting rifle.

Military rifles changed.But the elements of marksmanship were generally retained in many rifles.Folks can shoot M-14's,FAL's,AR.s,etc..

An AR-15 is easy to shoot pretty well. If the basic rifle is accurate,so is a Mini-14,.

I'm not knocking your AUG preference.Thats up to you.In fact,I have never held one.

But I will offer a challenge. I'd like to see a comparison between the 100 yard off hand target of Joe Average at a muzzle loader squirrel rifle shoot and the best you can do offhand with an AUG at 100 yds.

Do folks choose the AUG for any sort of competition?

You say you are a shotgunner. Cool.

Surely you understand the form and function of the elegant shotgun and wingshooting.

The armchair gamer might drool in a digital arms room over some 8 shot pistol grip Mossberg or a sawed off lever action Winchester 10 ga.

But as a shotgunner,you know the cartoon guns are not so good for skeet,trap,clays,ducks,geese,quail,pheasants,etc.

At 65,my shotgun is a Berretta 686 Essential.

You may has well have asked me "What would it take for you to give up your Berretta? How about this here folding stock pistol grip sawed off shottie?"

I think all I can do is shake my head and walk away.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:56 PM   #13
Nathan

The AR pattern rifle has 3 keys to its success:

1) ergonomics....it is just easy to point.
2) intrinsic accuracy....it holds the barrel in a very ideal way for best accuracy with a strong joint.
3) sight and optics options...there are so many good sight or optic mounts that fit perfectly for any mission.

You would have to replace all that. One option would be to shorten the bolt carrier and spring the front side...go to a piston, while keeping the AR trigger. Also tightening the upper to lower properly. Finding a solution to the $200 optic mount requirement. Built in BUIS sights.

Last edited by Nathan; May 15, 2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:58 PM   #14
Mobuck

I shot a rifle for many years before I got my first AR so I reckon I could get along w/o an AR in the future. BUT, If given a choice of semi-auto centerfire rifles, I'd choose the AR. I see no need to spend more $$ than an AR costs. Magazines are cheap and the accuracy is superlative.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:59 PM   #15
Oni_Kadaki

Quote:
I’m a bit of a hipster with the whole rifle craze. If someone gave me a lot of money and forced me to buy a 5.56/semi auto (ok would it really be forcing me? Lol)...it would be an AUG.
I used to own a Bushmaster AR-15. When I paid off my student loans, I bought myself a Steyr AUG, threw a neutrigger in it and slapped an Eotech on it. I sold the Bushmaster a few months later and never looked back. For all practical purposes, the AUG does anything I would reasonably want an AR-15 to do, but more efficiently. My ONLY regret is that I now have a different manual of arms to train than that of my duty rifle, but, I'm used to switching between several manuals of arms.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:31 PM   #16
jonnyc

Emptying my last mag. And only then if there was a loaded AK (or another AR) handy.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:02 PM   #17
mr bolo

I would gladly take another rifle like an HK , FN FAL, GALIL , VALMET , SIG , STEYR AUG

they are all worthy battle proven rifles, Id even take a POLYTEC LEGEND AK

Old May 15, 2018, 09:11 PM   #18
Gats Italian

All it took for me was a good AK. If you’re a southpaw the standard AR’s “great ergonomics” rather blow.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:22 PM   #19
rickyrick

Gats,
I’m not left handed but I saw left handed people kinda get the shaft while in the army.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:23 PM   #20
hdwhit

Quote:
stonewall50 asked:
A reliable, well-built 223/5.56 bullpup that accepts STANAG magazines and costs no more than $800.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:26 PM   #21
turtlehead

Death.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:20 AM   #22
marine6680

Well... I had a lengthy reply but it got wiped out, and screw redoing half an hour of thumb typing on a phone...

Basically... It would have to be an absolutely fantastic rifle...

Good ergos, ambi, reliable, plenty of parts and cheap 30rds mags, light weight, easy to assemble and work on, easy to configure and add usefull accessories... All for a price no greater than $1500. (The cost of a high quality AR that still has a good price to performance ratio, getting much more higher in price than that and the ratio gets out of hand)

Basically, I would only move away from the AR as a primary rifle, for something that is much better...

There are rifles that pique my interest, but none that could replace an AR's role for me.

I will admit that new HK rifle they submitted for the German military trials... The one that is basically just a G36 in a different shell... I think it looks fantastic. I would buy a civilian legal version one if I could. But it isn't able to displace an AR for me. (It is an HK, the likelihood of seeing it produced stateside so we could own one is basically zero)
Old May 16, 2018, 12:26 AM   #23
Charlie98

Probably the same effort it would take for me to abandon the other weapon systems in my safe. The AR is not the Alpha or Omega in guns, but it's a reasonable system, certainly more versatile than any other weapon in my possession. I love the M14, lever guns, bolt guns, pumps, and even single-shots... but none of them are more versatile than my AR.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old May 16, 2018, 04:58 AM   #24
stagpanther

I could easily be pursuaded to part with any of my many AR's for the right price--cause I'll just turn around and build another, and frankly I get just as much fun out of building them and developing loads for them as I do shooting them.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:24 AM   #25
Ibmikey

I have only 38 of the little critters, what do you think it would take to relieve me of them? Better bring lots of ammo cause’ I have lots.