The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Greg Di

Frustrated...Loadmaster priming

Yes, I've watched the videos on YouTube.

I am tired of constantly having to fiddle with the priming system in order to get rounds loaded. I'm also sick of watching round after round fall into the tray with powder but no primers. I'm sick of having to pull bullet after bullet. I'm sick of seeing tipped primers. I'm sick of having to remove every case before powdering to inspect that the priming went OK.

I have a 20% defect rate. It's ridiculous.

I have meticulously cleaned the priming system and function checked it. It will work great for 10 or 15 rounds, then it'll stop. I don't get it.

The only thing I haven't tried is decapping on station one and sizing and priming on station two to keep the case perfectly centered over the primer.

Do they sell just a decapping die? Will this help or is the Loadmaster a losing proposition?
Old November 28, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2
croc4

what brand of primers?

and what caliber?.
I have used both federal and CCI without any problems, I get the occasional primer mis-seat maybe one in 300rnds. I'd call Lee and see what they say, maybe you got a lemon?. I know they are not the top of the line presses, but mine has been very good and you can't beat the price for what you get.
Old November 28, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3
jfh
Retired Screen Name

check the reloading forum at THR

for some good links on Load-Masters. Do a search (use Google to do the site search) and a lot of threads will come up.

If you've watched the youtube videos, then I will assume you have the right parts in the primer subsystem. Personally, I solved my primer problems by going to the five-die setup--and yes, Lee makes a decapper-only die.

But what really got it running smoothly was started with a detail strip-and-clean, and ended with a careful die setup--some of which is detailed in a "current" thread at TheHighRoad.org.

Now it works beautifully--but I am about talked out on it right now.

Jim H.
Old November 28, 2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Alleykat

Best "Eureka" moment I had with my Loadmaster was when the Brown Truck came and delivered my 650!
Old November 28, 2007, 10:19 PM   #5
jsflagstad

Many thousands of loads through my Loadmaster and never a problem like you described on mine. I'd try CCI primers as that is all that I use. If that doesn't do it, call LEE as I'm sure they will get it figured out. I would think that LEE would want your parts back if they are defective, that is how companys make good products better.

Best of luck and don't give up on team red. I have had a whole lot more misfed primers on my blue press than on my Loadmaster.

JSF
Old November 29, 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
UGH

I had lots of priming problems when I got my Loadmaster.
I solved it in a few ways. First I took the priming system apart and made sure that the ramp was smooth. Then I rubbed graphite powder into the whole thing to the point that it is shiny and smooth and a graphite powder color now. I also went to a five die setup in that I decap at the first station and resize and prime at the second station. doing this I rarely get any issues. No more or less than my buddy with his Dillon 650.
Old November 29, 2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Greg Di

I'm using Winchester primers. Now that someone asked, I kind of recollect that there was one kind of primer to avoid...Was it Winchesters???

I'm going to get the decapper die and try that before I chuck everything.
Old November 29, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8
UGH

I use Winchester and CCI. Not a problem with either.
Old November 29, 2007, 11:31 AM   #9
rwilson452

The primers to be avoided are federal. Usually primer feed problems can be traced to a piece of plastic flashing. I used a jeweler's file to burnish all edges in the primer feeder assy.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:24 PM   #10
totalloser

Large brass sizing shakes the primers off kilt, and the little plastic pusher gets mashed. I found some casting lines that caused a couple problems and shaved them off with a exacto knife. Loading .223, I seperate the sizing on a different turret, and then loading goes smooth. Lube your cases too. I found a little smear of oil in the case collator is all it takes for pistol cases (LIKE 1/3 THE FORCE!!!) and very little residue.
In short, understand all the little parts and pieces and their functions, and keep it adjusted. That will solve the vast majority of problems. Oh and the little plastic pusher- you can squish it back into shape with pliers and clean it up with a razor. Stable bench really helps too.
Patience. You will grow to love that machine. Download Lee's instruction videos, too.
PS If you have trouble with primers reinserting shave a taper on the decap pin. My lube die decapper was sticking to the primers, and pulling them back in so at station 2 the old one would get pushed back in by a new one and mashing both. (hairline receded 1" figuring that one out)