The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

I need some help With my Weatherby

My weatherby Vanguard Varminter is shooting like a dream with 45gr bullets BUT I got a box of 60gr BTHPs from 1 of my shooting buddys and they are all over the place,some are even going side ways! my barrel is a 1 in 12 twist and I understand that is slow for a .223 but I have been reading up on some loads on a few other web sites and I was wondering if I can load say a 55 or 60gr bullet and get some added range with acceptable accuracy out of this rifle. ELMO
Old December 2, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2
joneb

Quote:
I got a box of 60gr BTHPs from 1 of my shooting buddys
Were these bullets or loaded rounds? You may need higher velocity = + rpm for the bullet to stabilize, but 55gr maybe your max weight/length.

Last edited by joneb; December 4, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old December 3, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
VaFisher

If the loads you got from your buddy were hand loads they could be the wrong load for your gun. You should be able to taylor a load for your gun with a little pateince.
Old December 3, 2007, 01:04 PM   #4
snuffy

A 60 grain BTHP, if it's a match bullet, will be a very long bullet for a 1-12 twist to stabilize. It's not weight alone you have to consider when figuring whether a bullet will be stabil in any given load.

Take the 162 Hornady A-max bullet for 7 mm. It states right on the box, minimum 1-9 twist or tighter to stabilize it. That's because it's a VERY long bullet for 7mm IN THAT WEIGHT.

At what range were they keyholeing? A marginally stabil bullet will sometimes "go to sleep" past 100 yds, or in other words, need more than 100 yds. to completely stabilize.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?