The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 12, 2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Black_Iron

The abilities of tech support

Hi,

I'm interested in starting my own forums one day, and I've been perusing various styles of bulletin board as Snitz. Can tech support give me a clue as to the maintenance of this particular BBoard, VBulletin? It's becoming fairly popular, and what kinds of people or skills will I need to maintain such a board? (Such as knowledge of web design, programming, etc.) Is it easy or difficult to maintain a board of this size?
Old January 24, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

If you've never dealt with a linux/freebsd/etc. server before, you probably don't want to try to run a forum. However, once you get vbulletin set up, the configuration is all web-based. You still need either shell or ftp access to do vbulletin upgrades, though (and of course to install it to begin with).

There are lots of web hosting companies that will give you several GB of disk space, hopefully your own IP, and a ssh or ftp login, for less than the monthly cost of a cell phone. If you want the server configuration changed, though, good luck. The curse of sharing a server is you can't do much. The curse of not sharing is that you have to maintain the server.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)