The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2001, 11:00 PM   #1
Gravity

Shotgun advice/help?

OK guys/gals....
I picked up an 870 express today. It's what they put into our patrol vehicles so I am use to it and it is actually quite comfortable for me. I have a question though and hope you guys can help me out here.
It came with an IC ? rifeled barrel. Now...since it has a rifeled barrel I know it's made to shoot rifeled slugs/sabots but is it possible to also shoot pellets/00 out of it? I am talking a [MINIMUM[/B] amount of this type of shooting and ONLY lead pellets no steel or copper.
Would this be alright to do? I understand the rifeling would get dirty and need extra cleaning probably.
Your thoughts?
Thanks
Old November 3, 2001, 11:20 PM   #2
rugerfreak

The 1st question is: Is it IC or rifled?? It can be one or the other---but not both-----or did it come with the Remchoke system??
Old November 3, 2001, 11:38 PM   #3
Gravity

It said Remington 870 Express 870 IC 12 Gauge on the box and it has like rifle sights but when I look down the barrel it's hard to see the rifeling.
Old November 3, 2001, 11:58 PM   #4
Gravity

OK
Pulled out the paperwork.
It says......
Model 870 Express Pump Action Shotgun 20" Barrel 12 GA I.C. Rifle Sight

Is this actually rifled then?
Can I shoot pellets/00 in it?
Old November 4, 2001, 12:01 AM   #5
rugerfreak

Nope---its not rifled----it has an IC choke----it should work best with rifled slugs and not sabots. Regular bird/buck shot of any kind will work just fine with that barrel.
Old November 4, 2001, 12:09 AM   #6
zanthope

I have a similar question posted on somebody else's thread "Can All Shotguns Shoot Slugs" down the page a little. I've also posted this question on the High Power forum at Glock Talk.

The answers I've got are generally YES, but the rifling ruins the accuracy.

I think I want a Remmy smooth bore combo. Those sabot slugs are 1-2 dollars EACH.

I'm not shooting any deer, just paper targets and crackerheads.
Old November 4, 2001, 12:17 AM   #7
Gravity

Ok.....so its good to user the rifeled slugs and 00/pellets then.
What is an IC choke though and is this built into the end at manufacture?
Theres no choke added onto the end like a screw per se.
Thanks for the help guys. This is new territory (somewhat).
Old November 4, 2001, 12:31 AM   #8
rugerfreak

Is a permanent fixed Improved Cylinder choke-----go to the Remington web site-------they have a thing about shotguns that is very informative-----tells about chokes----shot sizes etc.
Old November 4, 2001, 08:14 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gravity, what you have is what you need.

That smoothbore bbl has a tapered section in it near the muzzle called a choke. This keeps the pellets together better than a straight cylinder would. Chokes come in varying degrees, IC (Imporved Cylinder) is the next step up from no choke, or cylinder choke. It's a good choke for buck and slugs, usually.

Your 870 will safely shoot any common 12 ga load in 2 3/4 or 3" length. It should be marked on the bbl that this is so.

I suggest shooting it some with light target or field loads to break it in, and have some fun while you're doing it.

Check the Archives for info on practicing, ammo etc. Be advised that the more you shoot, the better you get, the more effective you are, the safer you and your fellow officers are. And, being a stone cold deadly shooter with a shotgun aids not only life expectancy, but promotional opportunities.

Good luck and good shooting....