The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2017, 08:49 PM   #1
TruthTellers

New Ruger 9mm Announced

Just a few days ago it was the EC9s, tonight Ruger announced the Security 9 pistol. With 15+1 and 10+1 capacities and a $379 MSRP, this new Ruger appears to be another value oriented pistol for those on a budget.

EDIT: And here's a link

https://ruger.com/products/security9/models.html

Last edited by TruthTellers; December 22, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Looks like a cross between a SR9 and RAP------all in a G19 size like the M&P 2.0 compact
-------Metallica
Old December 22, 2017, 09:13 PM   #3
smee78

Looks like Ruger made a Glock 19 with an external safety, I hope it does well for them.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:16 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Similar to the LCP II there's no firing pin block. I'm not sure how that compares to a

Quote:
neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
but I really don't get not going with a system that's well established and to me expected. I also seem to remember us having a discussion on the safety of the LCP II and Ruger saying not to carry with a round chambered (though that brought up the question of if that was just "lawyer talk").

As for the pistol itself, I guess yay? Ruger already has the Ruger American, the SR9E, and now this as affordable options that essentially compete in the same market. I'm starting to sound crotchety but I feel like Ruger is almost in competition with itself and I'm not sure what need this addresses that their existing offerings don't meet. Easier to rack is I imagine a plus.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 22, 2017, 10:15 PM   #5
OhioGuy

I'm kind of at a loss too.

Here's another review: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-stack-pistol/

Maybe they're attempting to compete in the Honor Guard market of budget oriented pistols? It's a decent enough looking gun. Safety looks small enough to be unobtrusive (unlike the M&P "wings" in my opinion). The lack of a firing pin block seems like a step backwards.

I dunno. Seems like there's another Glock 19 clone every few weeks!
Old December 22, 2017, 10:53 PM   #6
gc70

The Glock 19 and S&W M&P 2.0C are very popular guns. A very similar gun with a price that is 2/3rds that of the Glock or S&W will sell more than a few units.
Old December 22, 2017, 10:57 PM   #7
TunnelRat

There are and have always been plenty of pistols cheaper than Glocks or S&Ws. Yet those more expensive pistols still sell. Price isn't the only factor. My point is Ruger already has budget pistols in similar sizes. But hey, that's just like, my opinion man.
Old December 22, 2017, 11:34 PM   #8
TruthTellers

If it sells, that's great for Ruger, but I too can't find a reason why this needed to exist. The 9E sells for around $250 and I doubt that this Security 9 is going to be less than $300.

Unless one really wants a compact size, Glock 19 like Ruger 9mm.

Just seems to me that Ruger is trying really hard to compete with Taurus. First the EC9s to draw market share away from the 709 Slim and the HI Point C9, now with this they're straight up trying to put out a product nearly the same price and size as the PT111 G2.

What's next from Ruger? A .410/.45 Colt revolver called the Ambassador?
Old December 23, 2017, 12:36 AM   #9
otasan

Another Glock rip-off.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:42 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

Thinking about down sizing caliber/up sizing capacity from my XD40 Sub Compact I found this new Ruger quite interesting.......Until.....I got to the manual safety part. No thanks.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 23, 2017, 01:02 AM   #11
gc70

Here are the pistols in the Ruger line, along with their MSRP:

$579 American
$569 SR9
$459 9E
$379 Security 9

$479 LC9s
$299 EC9s

The two most recent "value" models have clear differences in features and are priced substantially lower than existing models. People will find the new models attractive, particularly from a mainstream company with a reputation for building robust guns and providing excellent customer support.

While neither of the new guns will be record-setting industry best-sellers, Ruger somehow manages to muddle along profitably.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:18 AM   #12
TunnelRat

New Ruger 9mm Announced

The problem with those MSRPs is if we look at actual street prices the street prices are well below those MSRPs (for instance the 9E can be found online for sub $300). So judging how this new offering fits in among those existing offerings by using only MSRPs is a bit misleading. The question becomes if the new models will also be as far below MSRP when they hit the street. If the more expensive Rugers end up getting deep cuts in terms of street prices and the value pistols not nearly as deep than the price gap as seen in MSRP might not really materialize. In that case you end up with pistols only $50 a part or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 23, 2017, 10:34 AM   #13
otasan

Ruger Security 9. No thanks; I stick with my Glock 17.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:44 AM   #14
cocojo

I wish they still made the original LC9 with the hammer and in a pro version. I thought Ruger was considered a budget pistol. I do like the American series they have but I hate the back strap design. Maybe a budget American without the ugly back straps. I don't mind the fixed sights on the EC9 as long as they hit POA.

Last edited by cocojo; December 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:51 AM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
New Ruger 9mm Announced
Just a few days ago it was the EC9s, tonight Ruger announced the Security 9 pistol. With 15+1 and 10+1 capacities and a $379 MSRP, this new Ruger appears to be another value oriented pistol for those on a budget.

EDIT: And here's a link

https://ruger.com/products/security9/models.html
If you examine the pics, and look at the parts diagram in the manual, you'll see that this is a hammer fired gun using Kel Tec's system. Basically a PF9 or original LC9, scaled up to Glock 19 size.

That's actually pretty interesting.(to me).

Quote:
designed to fit a variety of available holsters and concealed carry options.
I wonder if that means it fits Glock 19 holsters.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 23, 2017, 10:58 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm liking what I've been reading so far. There's not a lot of information about functionality or accuracy, but if this holds up to scrutiny, and I like it when I handle it, I may well add one to my handgun stable.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:07 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

A Glock 19 with a hammer, and a manual safety. Well, they got it half right. Maybe they will introduce a "pro" model without the manual safety.
Old December 24, 2017, 01:32 PM   #18
TunnelRat

There are already similar sized to the G19 hammer fired pistols. CZ P-07, HK P2000, Beretta Storm Compact to name a few.
Old December 24, 2017, 02:31 PM   #19
shafter

$379 is a really low MSRP. I wonder what they'll sell for on the street. I could become very interested.
Old December 24, 2017, 02:46 PM   #20
gc70

The Ruger 9E is currently available from several dealers in the $230-$250 range. A MSRP $80 less than the 9E suggests that Ruger expects the Security 9 to have a street price below the 9E.
Old December 24, 2017, 03:28 PM   #21
FITASC

Sorry, to me it looks like Ruger tried to copy Hi-Point
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 24, 2017, 05:05 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
CZ P-07,
That P07 is high on the list of candidates in my thoughts to down size caliber/upsize capacity. The option to have a decocker and not a manual safety being a major plus.
Old December 24, 2017, 06:29 PM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Sorry, to me it looks like Ruger tried to copy Hi-Point
You can tell by the slide and the frame that it's not a copy of Hi Point. It's smaller and lighter than that. Cut Ruger some slack, they're trying to produce and market a pistol that has better ergonomics than a Hi Point, that's made of better materials, has a MUCH better trigger, and it actually carryable.

If anything, Ruger's tried to make a copy of the S&W Sigma.

The only two things I don't like about this pistol so far is that it doesn't use SR9 magazines and how low the employees running the machines are getting paid.
Old December 24, 2017, 08:20 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
how low the employees running the machines are getting paid.
Are you saying Ruger is paying its employees less to make this pistol than the other pistols they sell?
Old December 24, 2017, 10:44 PM   #25
nanney1

Companies wouldn't offer a safety if people didn't buy them. But, for the new and inexperienced gun buyer, price is the first selling point. And a manual safety seems like a logical mechanism on a firearm. For the complete novice person, the idea that a semi-auto wouldn't have a safety is an odd idea.