The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2002, 09:20 PM   #1
Veloce851

Future Newbie Reloader

I'm looking around for some used reloading equipment, so I can feed my addiction.

At any rate I'm interested in any book reccomendations etc, that would be helpful in learning about the process. As well as knowledge of powders, casings you name it.

Any information you experts out there wish you would have had in the beginning.
"Then you will see the rise of men of the double standard -- the men who live by force, yet count on those who live by trade to create the value of their looted money -- the men who are the hitchhikers of virtue. In a moral society, these are the criminals, and the statutes are written to protect you against them. But when a society establishes criminals-by-right and looters-by-law -- men who use force to seize the wealth of disarmed victims -- then money becomes its creators' avenger. Such looters believe it safe to rob defenseless men, once they've passed a law to disarm them."

--Ayn Rand
Old May 31, 2002, 10:02 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

I highly recommend Getting Speer's Reloading manual and reading it well, the Getting either Lyman's or Lee's or both and reading them. These are very well written, informative books.

Do a search here for presses, there is more information here than any two people can ever read, this will be a great start for you,l make sure you post any questions you have here, reloading is not a good place for guesses

Welcome aboard, enjoy

JM
Old May 31, 2002, 11:05 PM   #3
swifter...

The "ABC's of Reloading", by Grennell, from Digest Books got me started.
The Grennell series 5(?) may be out of print, and found at gun shows.
Another guy has written the latest, can't recall his name. No reason to think its not equally informative.

you have the right idea! Read, read and read some more. Get all the manuals you can, each has its "how to" section.

Enjoy.

Tom
Old June 1, 2002, 12:27 AM   #4
vertigo7

This afternoon at my local Barnes & Noble, I bought "ABC's of Reloading 6th Edition" written by C. Rodney James. I have neither the money nor the space to start reloading yet, but I plan to be well read on the subject when the time comes that I have funds and room to work with.

Here's a link to the book at Amazon.com:
The ABC's of Reloading, 6th Ed.

vertigo7
One Sharps .52-caliber buffalo rifle. One Remington .45 120 rolling block. One Henry repeater rifle. Smaller caliber, but impressive rate of fire. One eight-gauge Remington, Derringer. One L.C. Smith 10-gauge stub twist coach gun. And this! A two-inch bore punt gun!"
--Hiram Gummer, Tremors 4
Old June 1, 2002, 12:43 PM   #5
Veloce851

thanks for all the information.. I'll be getting some of these books soon.
I did just get an offer from one of my customers at work, to show me how its done on his reloader. He's got a dillonprecision 550.
He's involved in a local competition shooting club, so he and the club should be a wealth of knowledge as well.
I'm hoping by fall to have my own equipment. In the meantime I will be reading, reading, and reading, as well as some hand on instruction.
Thanks again guys.
"Then you will see the rise of men of the double standard -- the men who live by force, yet count on those who live by trade to create the value of their looted money -- the men who are the hitchhikers of virtue. In a moral society, these are the criminals, and the statutes are written to protect you against them. But when a society establishes criminals-by-right and looters-by-law -- men who use force to seize the wealth of disarmed victims -- then money becomes its creators' avenger. Such looters believe it safe to rob defenseless men, once they've passed a law to disarm them."

--Ayn Rand
Old June 1, 2002, 12:54 PM   #6

NRA Guide to Reloading
Student text for Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course and Basic Shotgun Shell Reloading Course. Provides a comprehensive introduction to the practice of reloading, with a stong emphasis upon the development of safe and proper technique.
http://store.nrahq.org/nra/product.a...%5Fid=EF+13527

I thought the NRA also had a video on beginning handloading but maybe not ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 1, 2002, 06:09 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have several reloading books, and my opinion is that the Sierra data book has more overall useful information than the others. The exterior ballistics sections, for example, are among the most useful things I've found for selecting bullets for long-range shooting.

The basic "how to" stuff can't really take over two or three pages, as far as the mechanics and safety issues.

If you'll mention specific cartridges and your intended usages, I'm sure you'll find all the help, here, you could ever need. I've been reloading since 1950, and I've picked up quite a few good tips at good ol' TFL.

, Art
Old June 2, 2002, 04:36 AM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Actually, & this may be a blaspheme, I'd first use the search function here, & then, if you've got more questions, ask away - right here.

Can't think of a better resource - & cheaper.

You will have to eventually buy some manuals & get the equipment, but to do that, no better place to get the straight skinny than right'chere.

Welcome, glad to have you & ask away ...

Need to know if you're up for rifle or pistol, caliber & then shoot the moon. Folks here can fill in the gaps.
Old June 2, 2002, 07:30 PM   #9
Veloce851

I'll be doing .45ACP the most at first.. but then .223 for my AR15 once I find an upper to complete it.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

--Ayn Rand