The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2002, 11:09 AM   #1
Alex49

bullet seating depth

I am trying to put together an accurate 308 load for my new PSS. I am using the sierra 168 gr hpbt with Varget powder. The manual calls for an oal of 2.800 but I was going to try to get the bullet just off the lands. I have gone out to 2.855 and still do not see rifling marks on the sooted bullet. This is my first time trying this, any help appreciated.

A
Old May 31, 2002, 11:21 AM   #2
Steve Smith

I always screwed up the sooted bullet technique. I purchased a Stoney Point OAL gauge and the bullet comparator. I could then find the rifling easier and without the mess.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 31, 2002, 01:05 PM   #3
Bogie

The real question here is do you want to use the magazine or not.

The factory barrel/chamber on the Remington won't let you still use the magazine if you seat the rounds out until you engage the rifling.

BTW, I don't soot 'em. I take 0000 steel wool, and polish the bullet, then I seat it far out in the case, then I jam it and record the OAL using the little Sinclair "measuring nut" that I have... Then I back off about 0.003-4", and work from there.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 31, 2002, 04:46 PM   #4
dfm

1.) Make up a dummy round with bullet length left intentionally long.

2.) Seat bullet to depth by chambering in gun against rifling.

3.) Put dummy round in seating die. Screw seater plug down to make contact with bullet. Remove dummy round. Turn seater plug down one full turn. Return dummy round to seater die and reseat bullet.

Not the most scientific method but it's served me well for a long time. Sometimes the OAL will be too long for the magazine. Then you have no recourse but to seat deeper if the gun is to be used as a repeater.

dfm
Old May 31, 2002, 05:25 PM   #5
Alex49

I know that each rifle is individual but using the method of seating just off the rifling how much more accuracy can be attained?

Thanks, A
Old May 31, 2002, 06:33 PM   #6
Fatelvis

You may have rediculously long oal`s in order to approach the lands, I did in mine. I relied on neck sizing, it really seemed to make a difference in accuracy, after fireforming to the chamber. You`re using the best bullet possible, and a great powder, with neck sizing, Im sure it`ll just be a matter of dialing it in. Let us know how it goes.
Old May 31, 2002, 07:00 PM   #7
KP95DAO

Of course there is always my way. My Sierra 180 Spitz FB are loaded to 3.06" LOA and are seated .040" into the case when fully chambered. This is with a moly coated bullet and assures full contact with the rifling. It's not for everyone; but, it works very well for me.
Old May 31, 2002, 08:04 PM   #8
MADISON

bullet seating depth

Here is the way I find a "correct" seating depth:
[1]Place a bullet just inside the case mouth.
[2]Place the bullet in the rifle and close the bolt. [3]Adjust the seating die to that point and then back off a couple of turns. That works well for MOST. Ruger being an exception.
Old June 4, 2002, 09:55 PM   #9
Sid K

I like to measure the freebore and then experiment with different lenghts until I get the best one. Here's how I do it.
Make a dummy round with the brass and bullet you plan to use and seat the bullet to approx OAL listed in your book.
Chamber the dummy round and close the bolt.
You need a cleaning rod with a square tip. I use a plastic tip that I cut off for this purpose. Insert the rod in the bore until it contacts the end of the bullet and make a mark on the rod where it enters the barrel. (A piece of masking tape on the rod helps)
Remove the cleaning rod and insert a bullet in the chamber and push it in until it contacts the lands. I use a short dowel to push and a stout rubber band to hold it in place.
Now insert your rod again until it contacts the bullet and make another mark at the end of the barrel.
The distance between the marks is your free bore. I usually start my test loads at about .010".
Happy loading.
Sid K
Old June 5, 2002, 01:00 AM   #10
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

"I know that each rifle is individual but using the method of seating just off the rifling how much more accuracy can be attained?"

It really does depend on your load & your rifle - each are different.

Some rifles like the bullet seated ~.005" off the lands & other loads/rifles like it .020" off. I've a Rem 700 .30-06 that shoots the Fed Premium 180 GameKings like a champ & I'd guess I'm running easily .050" off - maybe more (this rifle has a long throat).

Part of the joy & frustration of reloading to utmost accuracy = you have to try all the combinations to know.

I'll start off ~.005" off & work with various powder weights, if nothing rings the bell, usually I'll try a different powder, but sometimes play with added seating depth. It can pay off at times. I'd suggest seating .005" depth increments for each lot/try.
Old June 5, 2002, 10:13 AM   #11
C.R.Sam

Labgrade makes sense.
Different guns like different combinations.

Sam
Old June 5, 2002, 11:03 AM   #12
Jeeper

That is the truth. I have some that like the bullet almost touching the lands and then some that are seated way back. Most of mine like being close. I use the method described above using the Sinclair nut guage after I shoved it into the rifling.