The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2002, 06:35 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Vibrating Brass Cleaner Hangs Up

When I switch on the power to the vibrating style brass cleaner it simply hangs and requires a few spins of the fan to get it going. Anyone familiar with this and how to cure it?

What is a good maintenance routine for these cleaners?
Old May 30, 2002, 08:14 PM   #2
dick w. holliday

sounds like time for a trip to the manufacturer to me--sounds like the motors about shot.......
Old May 30, 2002, 09:44 PM   #3
dfm

Put 1 or 2 drops of oil down the main shaft towards the bowl and let sit for a few minutes. Should help. Be advised to run the tumbler on paper or on a floor you're not concerned about as some of the excess oil may spin out the first time it's used.

dfm
Old May 30, 2002, 11:07 PM   #4
Watchman

Yeah..had exactly the same problem. Now my tumbler is dead.

The few drops of oil trick will work for awhile.

What is happening is that the bearings on the motor shaft are wearing out. There is just enough play in them to make the armature "stick" to the magnet..when you turn it by hand the motor finds its magnetic center and will spin until you turn it off.

The bearings are just oilight bearings that eventually wear out.

It's just a matter of time till it'll quit. But a word of caution here...

The other day I fired mine up with a few hundred rounds of .45 brass. I went to town messing around and came back about 4 hours later. I walked into my shop and the tumbler had stopped. At first I thought one of my boys had turned it off, but I noticed that it stunk like burnt motor. The thing was so HOT that it's a wonder it didnt set the place on fire. My tumbler is about 10 years old and it was the blue Midway tumbler.

I thought I try to fix it by making a few oilighte bushings for it, but the motor screws stripped out, so I'll take the easy route and spend 40 bucks for another one.
Bummer....
Old May 31, 2002, 02:29 AM   #5
Cal4D4

From the Midway site:

Notes:

Latest versions of tumbler have an aluminum base plate.

Older versions of the tumbler were recalled for motor replacement.

If the tumbler has an aluminum baseplate, or a white Sato label on the inside of the gray base, it is the newer type and is not part of the recall.

IF NO SATO LABEL IS PRESENT ON THE INSIDE OF THE GRAY BASE OF THE TUMBLER, IT WILL NEED TO BE RETURNED TO US FOR MOTOR REPLACEMENT.

MidwayUSA will refund the customer a check for $7.00 or a MidwayUSA Money voucher for $15.00 to cover the cost of shipping the tumbler back to us.

Maybe a call to Midway may save you a few bucks Watchman.