The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2002, 02:44 AM   #1
Redhook

Who else makes 168gr BTHP Match bullets in .308"?

I received a moly coated 168gr BTHP .308" bullet from a friend who, for some reason, didn't know the manufacturer. He claimed that it's the same bullet that Black Hills uses to load their match rounds with. Right off the bat I noticed that the edges right around the HP were a lot more concentric and less jagged(sp?) than the Sierra Match Kings that I normally use.

When I pulled out one of my Sierra's I also noticed that the edge where the BT transitions to the flat back of the bullet was also sharper. This edge on the Sierra's was more rounded.

Now it's not to say this a better bullet though and though, but I'd like to give it a try since it appears to be better made than the Sierra's from the outside.

So who else makes these?

-Red-
Old May 29, 2002, 06:35 AM   #2
Kaboom

Nosler and Speer books both show 168 gr .30 cal. match.
Old May 29, 2002, 06:58 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Hornady, too. Available factory moly coated from Midway et al.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:28 AM   #4
Bogie

and don't forget Walt Berger, who coughs up some VERY nice match grade bullets...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 29, 2002, 09:41 AM   #5
Jeeper

I believe Walt sold Berger about 4 years ago. The bullets have still reamained outstanding.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:50 AM   #6
Steve Smith

According to Sierra, as long as the HP is less than .17% of the bullet's total surface are, the tip has very little to do with its flight. In addition, up to about 300 yards, the flat based match bullets could provide even more accuracy. Sierra has been doing this a long time and there's a reason that over 95% of HP and Long Range shooters use the Sierra.

Nosler has recently come out with their J4 bullet and we anxiously await their capabilities. I picked up a handful of the .223 J4's at the Shot Show and I'm going to test them sometime this year. The only problem with the J4 s that the jacket is considerably thinner than that of the SMK. SMK's are well known to accept a good abount of jump in Service Rifles, but its unknown at this time whether the J4 will handle it.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 29, 2002, 10:32 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

Agree with Steve re purpose of boat tail and HP info.

Sam
Old May 29, 2002, 10:46 AM   #8
Steve Smith

In addition, construction of the rest of the bullet is much more important than the HP. The HP, in effect, is the same as having a ballistic tip. It just allows for weight control though the rest of the bullet. The rest of the shaping, especially the base and the ogive area, are essential to good accuracy. I would expect the rouded look of the SMK to be there for a good reason. Probably something to do with cavitation of air around the rear of the bullet. The rounded shapes would allow for less cavitation, and therefore less drag. This is much more important than how the tip looks.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 29, 2002, 12:33 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

And....
Most manufacturers are better able to control concentricity, base shape and dimensions etc with hollow points. The hollow points on long range match bullets are NOT there for expansion purposes.

Sam
Old May 29, 2002, 02:30 PM   #10
Steve Smith

Correct. The jacket is drawn over the rear and toward the front instead of the other way 'round.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 29, 2002, 04:24 PM   #11
Bogie

Yeah, saw Walt and Eunice at the Supershoot. Eunice finished 57th overall, and Walt was around 153rd... I came in at 96th. He sold the outfit to J4 (Spivey) a while back, but reportedly still keeps a hand in the quality aspect... Benchresters generally recognize the J4 jackets as being around the best available.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 29, 2002, 04:33 PM   #12
Steve Smith

Lucky for you BR guys you don't have two different lengths to deal with so you don't have to jump the mag length ones.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 30, 2002, 09:24 AM   #13
Dave P

Lapua make 155's and 168's. I got some from Sinclair - haven't found the best load yet. The 155's are sure long and skinny!

I have had good luck with the Hornady 168s. And I like the Noslers, esp when they are on sale. Natchez has them now for $32 for 250 - that's a good price!