The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 21, 2018, 09:51 PM   #76
TunnelRat

Gizmo guns? Because of a light, grips, and factory parts? Man you must have your mind blown by a current production automobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 21, 2018, 10:18 PM   #77
cslinger

1st the average 92fs/M9/etc. is a GREAT pistol. Proven in some of the worlds worst holes, used by some of the finest. It is every bit Glock 17 or SIG P226.

2nd. White light is never wrong, especially when it comes to home defense. I am not talking military action or even searching activities done by a LEO. A light on the Gun is a tool. It must be used properly and it certainly comes with drawbacks. You weigh your pros and cons and “you takes your chances”. For what it’s worth with any light 60 lumens or greater there is enough light bounce from ceiling or floor to allow target ID without pointing the gun at little Suzy sneaking in with her boyfriend.

3rd a light attached to a pistol is a target. Don’t leave it on. Flash and move and realize you just became a target.

4th a light on the Gun does not mean you cannot have a handheld as well.

5th self defense plannIng is personal. Frankly I have enough light in my house at all times barring a blackout where i technically would never need a light or night sights. I have them as a contingency. That doesn’t mean my setup works for you. I practice accessing my tools and my shooting lanes. All of that will be drastically different for you.

6th we all know tools NEVER trump mindset or training etc. but they sure as hell help and better to have and not need them need and not have.

7th. I think that 92 is a helluva setup if you can use it.

8th the only problem with your setup assuming skill/training is ........... it’s not a 12 gauge.

Take care shoot safe and realize that the tool is way down on the list of factors. Have ANY Gun. Have access to it. Be able to employ it safely and effectively. Pray Mr. Murphy doesn’t have you on his sh@$t list that day.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:20 PM   #78
ThomasT

Quote:
Gizmo guns? Because of a light, grips, and factory parts? Man you must have your mind blown by a current production automobile.
Nope. My opinion is based on an article I read many years ago showing the handguns used by real soldiers and lawmen. These were the men who had actually used their guns to defend their lives. Real men. Not internet commandos. And their guns were the most basic, plain Jane guns you could imagine. They made the point you wouldn't look twice at them on a gunshow table.

My uncle was a cop and killed one man while on duty. He did it with his issue model 15 and round nose lead bullets. As far as I know the only improvement he made to his gun was a white outline rear sight blade. And when he used his gun it was dark and the white outline sight added nothing to his aid.

If the OP wants to add custom grips, lights, new parts or whatever fine by me. But that doesn't make him anymore prepared than if his gun was bone stock just like it came from the box. He asked for opinions and I gave mine. Does that offend you?
Old January 21, 2018, 11:35 PM   #79
CalmerThanYou

Well todays real military and LEO have access to all kinds of new and improved firearms and other gear that was not part of the plan even 10 years ago. My dads armor BITD was a jacket and metal badge.
I think the gun is fine, give or take the light, which seems to have a never ending debate life.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:35 PM   #80
TunnelRat

Rate my HD Pistol!

Offend me? No. Do I disagree and am stating my disagreement? Yea. Many officers today have lights. Handhelds have been common for decades and weapon mounted common for a number of years now. So if your argument is what “real men” use then your own argument falls flat. I can verify this personally having been instructed by and being on the firing line with both military and LE. Because a military unit or police department doesn’t have certain gear and makes due without said gear doesn’t make that an ideal situation or the preferable one at that.

Plenty of people were killed by single action revolvers and lever action rifles, but we moved on. Technology advances, and not just “gizmos” but the firearms themselves and bullet technology too. And guess what? Those changes, once shown to have real world effects, are often embraced by those same people you’re using as examples. At one point in time optics on rifles were a “crutch” or just another thing that could go wrong. Tell that to militaries and law enforcement agencies today. The US Army’s M17 pistol has a rail for mounting lights and lasers and slide cuts for an optic. The trials also had an entire aspect that was hollow point ammunition.

Being able to identify what you are shooting at, especially for a civilian without the legal protection of an agency or department, is critical. Hence lights. And yes to me a light, handheld or mounted, absolutely makes you more prepared. Grips have been changed for many decades to suit user preference and frankly just because some people like them. For that matter people have been modifying firearms to suit their purposes for hundreds of years. None of this is new. Is all of it necessary? Probably not. But if people never tried out new technology or looked for solutions to what they saw as problems or improvements to those solutions we’d still be throwing spears and not shooting firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:54 PM   #81
K_Mac

ratshooter your "real men" don't use handguns with weapon lights, night sights, custom grips or any other modifications argument is as silly as insisting that these modifications are necessary to be effective.

Most cops and military users of handguns are issued their weapons, and have little choice of options, although night sights and weapon lights are becoming more the standard than the exception.

I'm not offended by this idea that these simple modifications are somehow mall ninja/Rambo affectations. I'm just baffled by it.
Old January 22, 2018, 12:00 AM   #82
Model12Win

Thank you all, gang.

I understand my original post has touched a lot of nerves. I have now been called a "technicool Rambo" and an "internet commando" and I assume I am not a real man as well since I don't use a stock S&W Model 10 revolver for defense, opting for this gizmo pistol instead...

Thanks to all for the useful criticism, and thanks even to those who did not provide the most constructive or friendly responses. It is good that we can have these discussions here and I appreciate everyone's time and participation.

We can close this one now.
Old January 22, 2018, 12:27 AM   #83
ThomasT

HaHaHa guess I got you going didn’t I. Use what you want. It doesn’t make a rats patooty to me. If you think more lights, special grips or extended mags makes you an operator then go for it.

If the OP likes his gun then that’s all that matters. My opinion and everyone else’s opinion is a moot point. And if he shoots better because he has faith in the gun then so much the better.

Last edited by ThomasT; January 22, 2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old January 22, 2018, 01:39 AM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

The OP has been provided with a good amount of data and opinions to review. I think we'll call this one done for now. If the OP decides that he has additional questions he's certainly free to start another thread.