The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2002, 10:23 AM   #1
CDPshooter

My new Dillon xl 650

I just used my new XL 650 yesterday. Geez, how did I make it so long without one of these? This thing is a Cadillac!! After using a Lee Pro-1000 for years, I am in hog heaven.

One question though. What is the advantage to using my Lee Factory Taper Crimp die in station 5 over using the Dillon Taper Crimp die.

Happy shooting
Old June 2, 2002, 01:48 PM   #2
BenW

CDPShooter,

The Lee die does a full resize as well as a crimp. Some like that as a reliability enhancer.

Congrats on the new press -- I too waited a long time to make the jump to the 650 and then kicked myself for not doing so 10 years earlier.
Old June 2, 2002, 06:45 PM   #3
CDPshooter

The only thing I wish I would have gotten that I didn't is the case feeder. The loader is so fast that I use the 19 cases in the feed tube before I even realize it.
Old June 2, 2002, 06:57 PM   #4
BenW

Yeah, the casefeeder is sweet. There are a few threads over at 1911forum.com on the "must have" stuff for the 650. You should check them out for some good tips.
Old June 3, 2002, 12:26 AM   #5
Archie

CDP, congratulations!

Can't think of a better press.

Get the case feeder. Never mind the explanation, just get it.

The advantage of the Lee crimp die is I already have it. And it full length resizes, more or less.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 3, 2002, 11:58 AM   #6
Clint Tickler

Congrats CDP! I made the same quantum leap a few years ago and although that Lee 1000 helped me to produce 1000's of rounds of ammo the 650 is sooo much better in regards to fewer hassles and frustrations.
Gotta get the case feeder. It works as close to flawless as possible. I also recently added the powder check die and would endorse this a well. It's not easy to double charge a case in the 650 but you can advance the case holder without having fully raised it to drop a charge.
Congrats again.
Old June 4, 2002, 12:26 PM   #7
cheygriz

I've been using a Dillon XL650, with casefeeder, for just over 10 years. I wouldn't trade it for any reloader made, not even a Dillon 1050.

The casefeeder, roller handle and strong mounts are, IMNSHO, "must have" items. Sure, you can get by without them, but why would you want to?
Old June 4, 2002, 12:58 PM   #8
Jeeper

I couldn’t agree more. I have had my 650 for 8 years now and I am pissed that I didn’t get it earlier. I shot 1000’s of 44 rounds loaded off my rockchucker before I bought it. The casefeeder and the roller handle are must haves. I have about 12 toolheads but only one powder measure. I have never found the need for multiple one. Have fun. Make sure to keep the Shaft lubed and everything tight.
Old June 5, 2002, 02:50 PM   #9
renaissance7697

For "Jeeper"

I had to read your signature four (4) times before I could convince myself that I read it right.

Sarcasm.........right?.........Please tell me that is right!
Old June 5, 2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Jeeper

If I really thought it was true you could feel free to kick my ass. I found that quote on some post making fun of the reasons you would support gun control.