The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2002, 12:33 PM   #1
Tol

Are "competition" rifle dies worth the money?

I am starting to reload some new rifle calibers.
These reloads are for stock hunting rifles (mostly Remington 700 BDL's).

I am getting tempted by higher end dies like the RCBS Competition 2 die sets and the Redding Competition Seating Die.

Will these dies make any difference that I'd notice in a bone-stock hunting rifle of reasonable quality?

Thank you guys for all the great advice you give,
Tol
Old June 3, 2002, 12:42 PM   #2
swifter...

I don't like the RCBS offerings, the Redding is the way to go.
If you want cheao, Lee Collett dies work well.

Difference in box-stock? Zip. You may get better brass life from Redding's bushing dies, but I doubt you'd see any significant accuracy difference without doing some rifle tune-ups.
Tom
Old June 3, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Steve Smith

The comp dies will have higher QC levels so the opportunity for run-out problems will be lower. This probably won't be an issue unless you're shooting at longer ranges, though.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 3, 2002, 04:10 PM   #4
Bogie

For factory chambers and un-neck-turned brass, use the Lee collet dies.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 3, 2002, 07:04 PM   #5
sricciardelli

Considering the cost of "competition dies", and their expected lifespan, sure it is worth the cost.
Old June 3, 2002, 08:11 PM   #6
KP95DAO

I second the opinion of the RCBS "comp" dies. The sizer may be ok; but, the seater sucks compared to a Redding comp seater. And I have a set of RCBS comp dies. And the Redding comp die so I know of where I speak.

I use a RCBS X die to resize and the Redding die to seat. Works very well and you don't have to trim cases.
Old June 4, 2002, 07:02 AM   #7
swampyMO

Tol,

For a stock hunting rifle go with Lee dies. Decent quality and low priced.

For a finely tuned varmint or target rifle you can afford to upgrade your ammo quality too. For highpower rifle in '06 and .308 I use RCBS X-dies for sizing and Forster Competition seater dies for seating.

Note: for a company with RCBS's experience you'd think they'd get a better design for seater dies. The ones I've tried were total JUNK. Bullet runout with them was a prime example of "how bad it can get" Twenty thousandths or more....

Best to all,
Swampy
Old June 4, 2002, 10:41 AM   #8
Bogie

FWIW, you won't get peak results with the Redding bushing dies unless you neck turn your brass. The Lee collet dies do well on "rough" brass.

And I own both.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 4, 2002, 10:59 AM   #9
Steve Smith

Redding bushing die provides a way to limit neck tension and brass working. For those of us with large neck areas in our chambers, the turning won't help.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 4, 2002, 12:19 PM   #10
cheygriz

In a super-accurate varmint ot target rifle you may (or may not) notice a difference.

I think that I've used dies from every major manufacturer over the last 40 years, and I have no complaints against any of them except Lee. I wouldn't buy a Lee die, except their factory crimp die for semi-aito handgun reloading.

I have noticed no difference between regular dies and so-called competition dies in any of my rifles. Not even an extremely accurate 6MM and an equally accurate target .300 MinMag.

While Redding dies are my personal favorite, I can't honestly say that they are any better quality than Lyman, C-H, Hornady, RCBS or Pacific. Just my personal experiences.
Old June 5, 2002, 10:20 AM   #11
ryucasta

I exclusively use only Redding competition seating dies for all the calibers that I reload. Utilizing progressive and single stage reloaders have never experienced a problem to date and it makes the adjustment process for seating the different bullets a walk in the park.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...