The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2002, 09:50 PM   #1
DennisE

RCBS Progressive 2000

Appreciate any information pros or cons about buying and using this press. Thanks, Dennis
Old May 26, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2
MADISON

RCBS Progressive 2000

I have been reloading since 1970. Have owned neither the RCBS 2000 or A Lee Terret Press.
I would not use the 2000 because it does have auto indexing. If I were getting started, I would get a
4 Station Lee Territ press Kit. [For $115.oo it would save several hundred dollars.
As I say, within a year you will probablly up- grade to more complex equipment.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:56 AM   #3
pilon

I have RCBS 2000 and it doesn't have avto index.

I neverer had any other progressive so I can't really copmare - TRY search button and you will find a lot of verry good posts.

But for entry in reloading sigle stage or turret is a good way to start.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:43 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

I have a pro2000 and it does not have auto-indexing (must be defective?).

Great loader. All manual and very solidly built. I picked it up because I did not like loading primer tubes. I buy cci primers in the strips, same cost as normal primers and I have a ready supply ready to go. The uniflow powder dispenser is great and handles stick powder pretty well. It is especially good with fine ball powders.

I have only had one problem requiring parts. From the shipper, the small primer punch was bent and RCBS sent me 2 spares for free.

I know it is not blue, but I still like it a bunch.
Old May 26, 2002, 03:36 PM   #5
Chris McDermott

I've had my RCBS 2000 for over a year now, and really like it. I've never used a Dillon, so I can't compare the two. I bought the 2000 instead of a Dillon because the 550 only has 4 die stations, and I thought the 650 was too expensive when you finish buying all of the little "extras" that are needed.
The primer setup on the 2000 is definitely the way to go, I can load a couple hundred primers into the plastic strips in 5 minutes, then crank on the press for 30 minutes before I need to mess with the primers again. The primer catcher is also a really nice feature. I clean it every thousand rounds or so with a 22 caliber bore snake and it doesn't give me any problems and it collects the primers without any mess.
I really liked the completeness of the 2000 also; it came with the bullet tray and trays for empty brass and completed cartridges, things that you have to pay extra for with other presses. Converting calibers seems to be easier than with a Dillon - I don't know what the "locating pins" are or how they are used, but it has to be harder to change than the 2000 which simply needs the shell plate and die plates switched and the powder measure set to the new charge/powder to change calibers. I bought the powder bottles and adapter from Sinclair for the Uniflow measure, and now switching powders is very simple as well.
Old May 27, 2002, 07:48 AM   #6
pinetree

I've had a Pro2000 and really like it. I've use an auto index loader before, but prefer the control the manual index gives. It really requires little time and effort. It becomes a natural part of placing of the bullet and inserting a new case. So far, all my loading has been 45acp, 44mag and 44spcl. I still use my single stage for my long range rifles. Caliber changes take a few minutes; mostly to get the powder meaure adjusted.

tjg
Old May 27, 2002, 11:34 AM   #7
Abe Normal

Abe Normal

I've been loading on the RCBS 2K for a little over a year now and here's what I've come to like and dislike about the machine.
1. I like the 5 stations vs. the 4 of the Dillon 550b.
2. The powder measure system is a nicer/simpler design with a micrometer style adjustment. I found it much easier to adjust and I think that it holds a tighter tolerance than the Dillon. Further if you write down the setting on the micrometer adjustment you can get back to that setting in a matter of seconds at the next loading session.
3. The APS priming system is the winner hands down! It's faster, easier, and user friendly, unlike the tube priming system. I can load up 500 primers into the strips in less than 10 minutes, with no bitching about stuck primers and it's a simple matter to see that all primers are facing the proper direction.
4. The APS primer strip loading tool as well as a goodly number of the plastic strips were included with my press. Where as the Dillon tube loading tool is an option and costs several hundred extra, or Midway now has a tube loading tool for about $60.00 plus S&H.
5. I like the spent primer "no spill catch cup" design, even though it's sort of a pain in the knee upon occasion.
6. Extra Die plates and the shell plates are less expensive than the Dillon.
7. I dislike the fact that your left hand is so very busy while the only tasks your right hand is able to perform is to pull the handle and index the shellplate. Where as the Dillon you can set the bullet with the right hand during the time the left is placing an empty casing in the shell plate (or is it the other way around?).
8. Both are very hardy machines built to last, both have a no BS lifetime warranty and both company's are extremely easy to deal with.
Were my RCBS 2k to disappear tomorrow and I had to make the progressive press purchase again I think I'd still go with the RCBS if only because of the APS primer system, I like it that much more than the tube system that Dillon uses.

Just My 2 cents worth,

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any different!
Old May 27, 2002, 07:07 PM   #8
Peter M. Eick

Abe,

I cycle the die plate with my right thumb on the outside of the press while I load a case and bullet with my left. This almost balances out the work load, but you get an odd callous on the right thumb.

Good comments.
Old May 28, 2002, 07:39 AM   #9
Abe Normal

Pete,

I've found that a comfortable leather work glove will provide a satisfactory level of protection for my right hand. Also a "Nitrel" or “Latex” type examination glove for the left hand keeps those wonderful greenish black brass stains at bay without having to sacrifice much, if any dexterity.

Old May 28, 2002, 06:52 PM   #10
griz

Just bought one of them Friday so this is very timely for me. I had narrowed it down to the 2000 or the Hornady Lock n Load and decided on the RCBS, largely because of the priming system. Ironically, that is the only thing I had a problem with when I started. It seems like the punch is sticking and that chews up the plastic strip. I don’t see this as a long term problem, I just need to do a little fine tuning.

Like others, I appreciated the completeness of the setup. It takes longer to go through the manual than set up the thing. They seem to have covered all the bases and caliber changes look easy.

Although I haven’t even filled the primer catch bottle up yet, I did notice that a one pound powder jug from Accurate Arms fits the bottle cap. I haven’t tried it though since I suspect that emptying the one that came with it will be fine.
Old May 29, 2002, 08:54 AM   #11
pilon

Ironically, that is the only thing I had a problem with when I started. It seems like the punch is sticking and that chews up the plastic strip. I don’t see this as a long term problem, I just need to do a little fine tuning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have exact same problem and in one hundred reloads one or two primers get meshed ( put in the primer cup out of center).

From time to time , when seating primers I have to fidle with shell plate so primer pounch seats primers properly.
I don't use factory pre-primed strips - I load them with APS primer strip loader.

Is it the press or what (casses, primers- I'm ussing CCI-500)?

The caliber is .357 SIG (.40 S&W shellplate).

What's the remidy?
Old May 29, 2002, 06:34 PM   #12
Kenneth L. Walters

I use to collect progressives. Had about 36 and seriously tried to use them all. When someone offered me what they were worth I sold. Never regretted that. Still I did get the chance to use a lot of very different machines.

Of all the ones I've seen and used I prefer the RCBS 2000. There are VERY few things that can go wrong with them and they completely avoid any primer problems. An excellent machine that I would strongly recommend.
Old May 31, 2002, 09:46 PM   #13
snicklefritz

Great press. Built like a tank. APS primer system is very nice. I can load 400 rounds per hour. Caliber change over is a breeze--takes me about 1 minute.
Old June 1, 2002, 12:48 PM   #14
Abe Normal

I've only had one occurrence where the primers were not seating correctly/being crushed. The cause was that two screws on the back side of the cam mechanism that advance the primer strip, had backed out. I retighten these and no more troubles.

Look in the instruction manual, page 4 pictures # 8 & 9 (pic 9 you'll notice is printed backwards). Ok pic #8, look at the top of the pic just on center look for the two hex key screws in the aluminum block. Pic #9 just to the right of center in the pic you'll see the same screws and block, just above and to the right of where the hand holding the 7/16" wrench is tightening the primer plug/plunger.

Hope this is of some help,

Old June 2, 2002, 03:56 PM   #15
Gary H

Had mine about one year.

Pretty much what Abe said, except I insert a new case with my right hand and use the left for the bullet seating.

I do run into "mashing" of primers, but it usually occurs when I get something wrong.

I need to be careful when advancing, because I tend to get a bit energetic and little by little the spilled powder accumulates. The spill comes from the powder sitting in the case and not the dispenser.

I went with this unit because I liked the priming system. I've been happy with it, but my only other loaders are for shotgun, so no Dillon, Lee, etc...experience.
Old June 3, 2002, 06:18 PM   #16
griz

Hey Pilon,
After loading a good bit more and playing with/learning the priming system, I think I’m happy now. The first jam was probably me screwing something up instead of the punch sticking. I did put a little lube on the primer punch anyway since it seemed sticky. The second jam was because there were still bits of plastic and a piece of squashed primer stuck in the primer feed. I took the top off the primer feed to clear it out and discovered removing the primer punch would probably have cured the problem. If you do pull the top cover off the primer feed, keep track of the two "ratchet springs" (I don’t know what RCBS calls them). They are flat V shaped pieces and want to fall off the top plate. No problems since then.

Gotta go, I emptied some brass this weekend and need to fill them up again.
Old June 4, 2002, 10:04 AM   #17
Gary H

UPDATE:

My primer feed just stopped functioning. I contacted RCBS and they are sending me repair parts.