The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2002, 05:53 AM   #1
Kitgun

Hard cast or Electro plate

Does anyone out there have any exprience with the Rainier "Electro Plate" bullets? I'm getting back into hand loading after about a twenty year absence & all my sources of hard cast "Keith" type bullets seem to have dryed up. What I want is a good SWC hunting bullet ( 357/44) that penetrates and every thing today seems geared towards hollow points & soft points W/massive expansion. Thanks for any info.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:06 AM   #2
Chemistry

I have had excellent results with the Rainier bullets. Despite the fact that the Rainier bullet has the thinnest plating out of all of the high quality plated bullets, the plating stays on quite nicely, as long as you stay within the limits of the bullet.

Rainier Ballistics also states that you can freely substitute one of their bullets in a recipe that calls for a Speer TMJ bullet.

After having used several thousand Rainier bullets, in various calibers (.38 Special, 9 mm, 357 Sig, .357 magnum, .40, 10 mm, .45 ACP), I would say that I have been quite pleased with their product.
Old May 22, 2002, 08:29 AM   #3
MADISON

Rainier bullets

Since I do not CAST any more I have to buy my bullets. Some cast bullet makers were selling what they call "hard cast" but the first 5 bullets would lead the barrel at 850 fps. I switched over to Rainier bullets a little over 5 years ago and have had no problems/leading in: .357,.41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP. I love them!!! If you have a "little Glock" DO NOT get the semi-wadcutters because they probablly will NOT FEED.
MADISON
Old May 23, 2002, 01:04 PM   #4
Kitgun

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Would loading data for a 158 gr. lead SWC be applicable to the Rainier electro plate flate nose of the same weight? I planned on using a charge of 12.1 gr 2400. Would this be safe & lead free in S&W 357 Mod. 28? Thanks again, Kitgun
Old May 23, 2002, 04:44 PM   #5
Shoney

Kitgun:

I use copper plated, but not Raineir, however, others who use them, praise them.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/

They do not make a SWC but a double ended WC in 38, and a FP and HP in 38 and 44.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 23, 2002, 05:11 PM   #6
dfm

Go to www.berrysmfg.com for a full line of good, plated slugs. All the ones I've used have been quite accurate. And the shipping is free.

dfm
Old May 24, 2002, 04:42 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

BETTER ANSWER

The cast bullets you seek are available from: www.beartoothbullets.com , www.castperformance.com (check out their 187g !!!) , and www.pennbullets.com .

Best quality.
Old May 24, 2002, 03:18 PM   #8
Pigshooter

Another source for inexpensive bullets is national bullet.
Old May 24, 2002, 08:33 PM   #9
snuffy

west coast bullets

I've never used Rainer plated. I've heard that you can't taper crimp them without risking cracking the plating.

When I got my Glock 22 I was warned not to use cast. So I did a little search through the various forums to find other sources. I ordered some .40 165 rnfp from West Coast Bullets. They have worked great for ipsc and idpa. The reason I went with west coast was they are the thickest plated of the three AND they size every bullet after plating,(double struck). Also they ship freight paid. http://www.westcoastbullet.com

They have .38 158 swc $53.00/1000 and .44 240 FP, $75.00/1000. No online orders though, fax, snail mail or call in the order.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 25, 2002, 07:40 AM   #10
stans

With plated bullets you are supposed to taper crimp. A heavy roll crimp will break through the plating.
Old May 26, 2002, 12:11 AM   #11
Northwest Cajun

Any one ever used them for hunting?
I have been using Berry's for a year or two now for indoor shooting and they are great but I wonder how the .44 240's or.45 350's( for 45-70) would do on a Deer or Black bear.
They say they are 99% pure lead with a Copper plate.

Cajun