The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2002, 10:51 AM   #1
Fatelvis

300 gr Vaquero loads

My Vaquero shoots a little low at 25 yds, and before I file the front sight, I`d like to try and bring the poi up with a different load. I have been shooting mild to mid-level 255 gr lead. Any good loads to try with 300, or higher, lead? Thanx guys-
Old May 25, 2002, 11:00 AM   #2
Steve Smith

Fatelvis, how long is your barrel? Ruger puts a higher front sight on the longer barrel versions. I don't think the Vaquero han an interchangable sight like the Bisley kinda has.

I have some 300 gr. loads, but I've found (under John Linebaugh's personal advice) that 325's are more efficient. The 300's in my experience and John's are a PITA to get moving fast but 325's worked better. Send me a PM for load info.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 25, 2002, 12:09 PM   #3
Fatelvis

4 5/8" bbl. Im just trying to find a load to use, that`ll bring up my poi, without filing my front sight down. It needs to come up about 2" at 25 yds. The bullet can be 300+ grains, it doesnt matter to me.
Old May 25, 2002, 07:42 PM   #4
Bob C

I've had good results with Blue Dot and 300 grain bullets in my Vaquero.

I stay on the light side of the "Ruger Only" data inthe loading manuals.
Old May 25, 2002, 10:08 PM   #5
Steve Smith

That's the almost same length as my Bisley model (5.5"). The Bisleys, as I said before, have a somewhat interchangeable front sight. I had to change mine to a taller one so the rear would have enough travel with heavy loads. I think you'll find the loads I PMed you will do what you're wanting. Heavier bullets have longer barrel time, so your impact will be higher. Hang on though.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member