The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 21, 2019, 06:24 PM   #76
MoArk Willy

Perhaps I missed it so I'll ask. When you say hunting for game are you intending to eat what you kill? Hopefully you are thinking about consuming the game you harvest.
Killing for the sake of killing is unwarranted.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:50 PM   #77
Pahoo

Another answer to a question, not asked !!!

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it so I'll ask. When you say hunting for game are you intending to eat what you kill? Hopefully you are thinking about consuming the game you harvest.
Well, you just opened up a can a can of worms and answered a question that he didn't ask. That's okay !!!..

Just sitting back and looking forward to the replies. …..
Old May 21, 2019, 07:13 PM   #78
GarandTd

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it so I'll ask...
I touched on it in post #3, but it is my opinion, and not one shared by everyone.
Old May 21, 2019, 09:03 PM   #79
Doyle

Quote:
I touched on it in post #3, but it is my opinion, and not one shared by everyone.
My opinion as well - with the obvious exception of "pest control" animals. Heck, even some of those those can be eaten. Wild hogs are great (mature boars are best left for the buzzards to eat). The Cajuns eat nutria. Collared dove are decent table fare. Etc.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:39 PM   #80
Jack Ryan

I kill a lot of beavers, coyotes, crows, chipmunks and possum but I'm not gonna eat any of 'em.
Old May 22, 2019, 02:16 PM   #81
GarandTd

There are some "varmint"/pests that I would not eat. I have eaten squirrel and would do it again if I venture into their turf to claim them. I've never killed a rabbit, but that would be eaten if I did. I hear doves are delicious, just a fair amount of work for basically a chicken nugget. Ground hogs are a nuisance around here. I wouldn't eat them, but I'm sure there are people that do.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:13 PM   #82
Pahoo

There are times when killing, is warranted

MoArk Willy.
In keeping with "in the spirit" of what you are trying to communicate to hunters. I agree that we should not just hunt to kill something.
Quote:
When you say hunting for game are you intending to eat what you kill? Hopefully you are thinking about consuming the game you harvest.
Before I start out on a hunt, I pretty much know what and if I'm going to eat it. There are times when I kill animals for a variety of reasons. Then some define it as harvesting. I've eaten some pretty crazy "Protein" and then there are others that I'd never eat but what is left in the field or woods, will never go to waste. …

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 23, 2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:02 PM   #83
TheScout

I figured this would come up. Yes, I did plan on learning how to properly field dress and cook the animals I hunt with limitations. For example, cotton tails this time of year are known for having parasites, which I plan to avoid. Quail are fine to eat. But if I shoot a lizard or something (pest control for my grandma’s garden) I’m not eating that. My uncle might take me deer hunting soon, which i’m excited for because he makes the best deer jerky
Old May 23, 2019, 01:12 PM   #84
FITASC

Again, check the regs for seasons. Animals like cottontails and quail have regulations you need to follow as to to where, when, why, how, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 23, 2019, 09:15 PM   #85
TheScout

Quick little random question: When I first acquired my .22lr bolt action rifle, there was a light coat of rust on the barrel. Not knowing the consequence, I took some wire wool and just kinda brushed it off, which worked super well! However, the inscription on the barrel with the manufacturer, caliber, model, etc... is faded, I think because of the wire wool. Anyway to get it back? It's not that big a deal, like, I can still see the inscription, but it's just faded.

Also, I'm not gonna get a center fire rifle anytime soon, but just for when the time comes, what company makes an action that can be run fast, and have a lot of rounds put through it. I am new to how rifles last over time so, let me know if there's something I'm not considering here. For example, I've heard that .243 is not good for putting a lot of rounds down range.

Last edited by TheScout; May 23, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old May 24, 2019, 07:34 AM   #86
Doyle

Quote:
I've heard that .243 is not good for putting a lot of rounds down range.
Unless you have LOTS of money, you're unlikely to burn out a .243 barrel in any reasonable amount of time.

Quote:
what company makes an action that can be run fast, and have a lot of rounds put through it
Running an action "hot and fast" is totally opposite of the purpose of a hunting rifle. A hunting rifle is always shot "slow and deliberate". If you want to just throw lead down the range hot and fast, buy a semi-auto just for that purpose.

Quote:
However, the inscription on the barrel with the manufacturer, caliber, model, etc... is faded, I think because of the wire wool.
I've used steel wool (lubed with oil) for decades to remove surface rust with no problem. Those inscriptions should be engraved (stamped) into the barrel. Likely that you just need to clean and re-oil.
Old May 24, 2019, 08:11 AM   #87
TheScout

Well, I’m not exactly looking for a hunting rifle. I’m looking for a rifle that is styled like a hunting rifle but fits the purpose of a scout rifle. I believe a practical rifle is what it’s called. All I need now is an action that can handle it.
Old May 24, 2019, 02:53 PM   #88
Pahoo

What grade did you use ???

Quote:
I think because of the wire wool.
According to the experts, #0000 steel will, will not harm a "Factory" blue. Cold blue is a different story. What grade did you use. Some folks recommend a dry use of steel and some use oil. Then there is Chore-Boy and it works great. You can also use a real copper penny. As far as the stamping, it is what it is and some came from the factory, lightly stamped.. …

Be Safe !!!
Old May 24, 2019, 04:42 PM   #89
FITASC

0000 steel wool and oil took the bluing off my 1908 Colt 25 (made in 1917) in a small spot. I wouldn't do that again.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 24, 2019, 05:39 PM   #90
TheScout

It’s 0000 fine grade. It didn’t take the bluing off but faded the stamp in the barrel. Anyways I’ll live with it. Probably just be more careful next time around those parts.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:32 AM   #91
Jack Ryan

Use a little Scotch Brite pad and some oil, lightly. Then wipe it off. I should just take off the rust. Wipe it with cloth after until it is clean and then oil it again.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:28 AM   #92
TheScout

Wow, that works really well. Thanks! Okay, I feel like I just gotta get you guys to understand the purpose I have intended for this bolt action centerfire I’m talking about. It’s a super versatile bolt action. It’s a practical rifle, that I could use for anything from deer, predator, long range (at least 600yrds) And if necessary, self defense (that’s why I wanted it to be able to be run quickly (bolt wise). I know many of you don’t like the idea of having one firearm for a lot of tasks because guns are purpose driven and it’d be more beneficial to have the right firearm for the job, but this is what I want. I don’t exactly plan to use it for any of these things, it will most likely stay as a range toy that I can learn how to shoot a bigger cartridge with (.308 maybe?) but I still want these things in this rifle. Please let me know what I should be looking for when considering a rifle like this (brands, features, or general advice) Thank you!
Old May 25, 2019, 03:28 PM   #93
Jack Ryan

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/
Old May 25, 2019, 09:07 PM   #94
TheScout

I have looked into this program, but it’s told me nothing of what rifle to get

Last edited by TheScout; May 26, 2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:44 AM   #95
Jack Ryan

That program sells 2 different bolt action center fire rifles I believe. You won't get screwed buying from them and you'll always be able to sell it and get your money back from them if you don't want them any more.

Those two bolt action rifles they offer were both "fast functioning enough" for soldiers to carry in to war and they are prized today for their accuracy.

Once you are set to buy things through their program they often run pretty darn good deals on ammunition.

1903 or and Enfield either one, you will have a bolt action rifle that will fill your request as well as any bolt action rifle with the plus you will have a quality, collectable, historic firearm that will hold its value as long as you live provided you take care of it.

Downside is the availability may be spotty. Just an option. I never even knew existed when I was your age and could have bought those rifles by the case for what they want for one now.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; May 27, 2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old May 27, 2019, 08:55 AM   #96
GarandTd

The CMP is a good way to get a great rifle and piece of history, but, according to the sight, they are not accepting orders for the 1903 or the Enfield.

TheScout, some bolt action rifles have a shorter rotation for the bolt. I mean the upward movement of the bolt that unlocks the action before pulling the bolt rearward. That can affect the speed in which you operate the bolt. Also, the length of cartridge that you choose will affect the distance that the bolt must move to chamber the next round. For example, compare a 30-6 round to a 308 round. You'll notice the length difference. There are other factors, but those are a couple to consider.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:28 AM   #97
TheScout

Okay, I’ll look into it. Will running the bolt quickly wear down the action? On my .22 bolt action, I run the bolt really roughly, mainly to makes sure that I really get that round extracted. Will this wear it down? I’ve heard that a bolt won’t break no matter how hard you run it.
Old May 27, 2019, 07:44 PM   #98
GarandTd

I don't imagine running a bolt quickly will wear it out any faster than running it slowly. Cycling the action will cause wear either way, but I doubt you're going to wear out the bolt anytime in the near future.
Old May 27, 2019, 09:49 PM   #99
TheScout

Okay. CMP rifle’s aside. What are my options? I was looking at either a Winchester XPR, Tikka T3x Compact, or a Remington SPS.

I guess I’m more asking, am I looking in the right direction with these rifles?

Last edited by TheScout; May 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:45 AM   #100
Jack Ryan

I think you are way out in left field looking for "speedy" bolt actions. Jerry Miculek couldn't shoot one of those things fast and I don't think you could tear one up of any brand short of doing it deliberately.

You want to be fast with a bolt action, then don't miss with the first shot. The first shot with a bolt action is as fast as it is with any thing. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, don't miss.