The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2019, 08:25 AM   #1
rpseraph

Canted Reticle (Vortex Crossfire II)

I was really upset with my Aero Precision mount because I THOUGHT my Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 kept twisting! I'd level the rifle, and try to level the scope (off the turrets, I know they aren't perfect) and the reticle kept going canted! I tried the plumb line, get it perfect, and it would twist it again.

Here's what it looked like, after a range session yesterday (shooting off an AR-15, not a big cartridge shaking the thing)
http://imgur.com/gallery/64eo6yH

So it looks like I'll be trying out that VORTEX Warranty! This isn't a 3-5 degree cant, this is 45 degrees, haha.

I still love my Aero Precision mount
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.

Last edited by rpseraph; June 17, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old June 17, 2019, 08:35 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Are you saying the reticle is turning, or the scope is turning? It's not real clear the way you describe it. I'm not sure if you're complaining about the mount or the scope.
Old June 17, 2019, 08:46 AM   #3
rpseraph

Quote:
Are you saying the reticle is turning, or the scope is turning? It's not real clear the way you describe it. I'm not sure if you're complaining about the mount or the scope.
Yeah, sorry! I thought it was the mount, but the reticle is turning within the scope. Scope issue. The picture is with the TURRETS level and recticle at almost at 45 degree cant.
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old June 17, 2019, 11:12 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I thought it was the mount, but the reticle is turning within the scope. Scope issue.
I only saw that happen on one scope quite a few years back. It was a Tasco World Class scope with a lifetime warranty. My friend had it happen the day before deer season and when he called Tasco they told him to send it back along with $37.50 to cover repair costs. What happened to the lifetime guarantee? It went in the garbage. Good luck with yours, I'm pretty sure they'll make it right.
Old June 17, 2019, 03:27 PM   #5
cw308

The turrets remained at 12 o'clock and the crosshairs went to 10 and 2 . That scope should go back for sure . I have a canted reticle , doesn't effect much because I only shoot at one distance 200 yards it's just off center slightly . Nothing like that , that isn't canted it's , can't say it on line.
Old June 17, 2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Pahoo

Level the reticles and not the scope, to the plumb-line

Quote:
Are you saying the reticle is turning, or the scope is turning?
This is how I'm understanding the problem and have seen it a number of times. Tascos being one of the scope. The reticles are etched onto a glass lens and turrets rotate the glass lens. As mentioned, It need to go back to the factory. I never use the turrets or caps when leveling my scopes, for this reason and others. ….

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 18, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:51 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

There are a host of ways that can happen. Tightening the ring screws incorrectly. No bore sighter. Et Al.
"...after a range session...with the TURRETS level..." Indicates the thing is seriously damaged. It still under warrantee?
Had a 4X Tasco that I could watch the reticle bounce through a bore sighter every time I cycled the action. Tasco's QC never was great, but the retail price is low too. That 4X cost me $40.
Old June 19, 2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Scorch

Call the folks at Vortex. They are great to deal with and you will have your replacement scope in a couple of weeks.