The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 11, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
CarbineCaleb

S&W Basic Handgun Technique I-III

Just got back from a weekend course at the Smith & Wesson Academy entitled "Basic Handgun Technique I-III". This two day course is intended as a followon to the one day introductory course that most people take to get their pistol permit.

The first morning was classroom oriented and devoted to a review of safety and various shooting equipment. The first afternoon is spent on the bullseye range with S&W 617 .22LR revolvers, starting with dryfiring, single shot at 5 yards, and working out to shot strings at 20 yards, while the instructor straightens out issues with basic technique - stance, sights, grip, trigger control. While I've read enough about this and practiced on my own, I found the individual attention in person of an expert instructor very helpful.

The second morning was spent doing various exercises including friendly competition on a different range that was setup with pneumatically operated targets (big fun!). Here we were shooting S&W model 41 .22LR semiauto target pistols.

The final afternoon consisted of about an hour of classroom discussion of different holster styles and carry techniques as preparation. The balance of the day was spent back at the bullseye range with the centerfire handgun of your choice from their inventory. We worked with strongside hip belt mounted holsters and either magazine or speeloader pouches, depending on what you elected. We then learned proper holster and reloading technique which was applied with various drills (including the so-called armor or Mogadishu drill).

All in all, was a great class! The instruction was of disciplined style but with a slant towards having fun. The instructor was a real good guy and knew his stuff very well. Class was $200 for two days. Thumbs up!