The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 6, 2005, 08:44 AM   #1
Bo Hunter

Carrying Weight - How bad is it?

Well, I was all set to order my Glock 27, when I handled the Para-Carry. I liked the feel and look of the Para Carry, but I noticed it seemed quite heavy compared to the Glock. Both of these were handled empty. I was really surprised at the Para Carry's size. I expected it to be larger, but it was actually quite a small gun. I assume the extra weight helps handle the recoil of the .45 ACP.

Because I've never carried before, I was wondering how much you "felt" the gun there if they were a little heavier? Is it an annoyance if they are too heavy? How much does a good belt and holster negate the weight of a gun?

My goal is to buy a gun I will carry most frequently. If its too heavy, or too large, I know I won't like carrying it, and won't end up doing so, resulting in a gun that was a waste of money...

Thoughts? Hindsight? Anyone wish they'd gotten a lighter gun? A heavier gun?
Old September 6, 2005, 09:02 AM   #2
ATW525

I can't say I notice weight with a good holster and belt. Bulk can get uncomfortable at times, though, depending on what you're doing.
Old September 6, 2005, 09:29 AM   #3
blackmind

I have a GLOCK 27 for carry, and I love it.

I have carried in various ways for years. Mostly lately I use a small nylon shoulder satchel that I got from Walmart. I admit that it is not, by any means, a "quick-draw" rig. In fact, the gun is in a DeSantis inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster inside the bag (this is mostly for dust/lint/TRIGGER protection). I don't expect, on a daily basis, to need to use the gun. That's the major reason why I allow for the compromise of the bag, which makes concealed carry far more comfortable and tolerable. I try to mitigate the slow-draw dilemma by being more situationally aware. I try to watch for potential trouble coming from farther off, the way you need to look farther down the road if you're gonna drive 110 mph than if you drive 65.

I have also carried IWB, but I'm not huge, so it is somewhat difficult to make sure the gun stays concealed, and also comfortable. I tend to feel the weight of the gun, which I would carry near the pants button as opposed to small-of-the-back (which is nearly intolerable for more than an hour), distributed all the way around the waist of my jeans. That's uncomfortable, and ends up hurting my back.

I have carried the GLOCK 27 in a Thunderwear holster (so it rides under the zipper of my jeans. One has to have a lot of confidence to keep a loaded/chambered gun so near the precious cargo down there. That's a not-half-bad manner of carry, but like the IWB, over time, even the wide elastic band of the Thunderwear started to bother the muscles in my lower back and sacrum. It's much easier on me to carry a Walther PPK there than the bulkier and heavier GLOCK.

I have carried in a shoulder rig just once. It's a rig that my brother left with me when he moved. I doubt he used it much, if at all. I tried it on, adjusted the straps to fit me, and found that I really liked it. The only problem is that I don't normally wear a tucked shirt and then a buttoned shirt over that, since I live in Florida and it's hot to wear layered clothing. Hell, it's hot to wear any clothing.

If I were to be going somewhere and felt I really wanted to have quick access to the gun, I would load up that shoulder rig and make the clothing sacrifice necessary to make it work. But that would be if I felt a strong need to be able to get to the gun quickly. I'd probably wear that if I were defending/patrolling my home after a hurricane, or if I were going shopping for a big-ticket item at a store where I might be observed leaving to take it home. I don't do any kind of retail business involving cash deposits, but that would be another good time to use the shoulder rig.

Let me tell you, though: the times when I can't carry, I MISS that weight you're asking about.

-blackmind
Old September 6, 2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Marko Kloos

I carry a heavy-barreled M10 S&W in .38 Special, which is a very heavy gun for its caliber and capacity in this Scandium-and-polymer world. It weighs a little over thirty ounces, and the weight doesn't bother me a bit.

A good holster and belt are far more important for carry comfort than three ounces here and five ounces there.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Derius_T

I have to agree with Marko. (for what its worth)

I carry a full-size 1911 clone, (i'm poor) and the weight isn't a problem. IF you have a good gunbelt designed for the purpose, and a good holster.

You can have a great holster, and a regular leather belt, and it can drive you nuts. A sturdy gunbelt is important. Especially if you carry on the hip, inside or outside the waistband....
Old September 6, 2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I carry an all-steel 5" 1911 IWB most every day, and unless I'm on my feet the whole time, I never notice the difference between it and a lighter gun.

Good belt and good holster are the key...
Old September 6, 2005, 10:30 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
How much does a good belt and holster negate the weight of a gun?
More than you can imagine. When I tried a good gun belt, I was amazed at how much it seemed to make the weight go away. That's why it pays to have a good holster and a good belt, if you plan to carry for long periods.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:43 AM   #8
blackmind

Are you talking about a belt that would fit and look proper on an average pair of Wrangler jeans?

And do you mean for outside-the-waistband carry or inside-the-waistband carry? Does it make a beneficial difference to either, or just outside carry?

Also, please recommend any specific brands and online sources for those brands, if you would be so kind. I may want to look into this...

-blackmind
Old September 6, 2005, 11:07 AM   #9
MRex21

When you first start carrying concealed, you will notice the firearm every time you wear it. You will also believe that everyone around you notices it too. It will feel like you tied a three pound weight to your hip. It is true that a good belt/holster option will eliminate much of the discomfort, but you will be aware the firearm is there.

Soon, you will become accustomed to it, and it will blend with the feel of all of your other clothing. Give it a week or so of repetitive carry and you'll grow used to it. It'll feel weird at first, but eventually it'll be just like putting your socks on in the morning.
Old September 6, 2005, 11:21 AM   #10
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

As has been mentioned a GOOD holster and a GOOD belt, made specifically for carrying a firearm, is critical.

The "perfect" shot depends on a proper grip. With good technique, the grip is acquired while the firearm is still holstered. The holster is attached to a belt. Think of it as a weapon system.

Most of the major manufacturers, Bianchi, Safariland, Galco and Don Hume to name just a few, make good gunbelts.

Denny
Old September 6, 2005, 11:38 AM   #11
ATW525

Quote:
Are you talking about a belt that would fit and look proper on an average pair of Wrangler jeans?
Yes, most gunbelts look just like your typical leather belt. The difference is in the thickness of the leather. A gunbelt is thicker and sturdier which gives a holster more stability.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Derius_T

Yeah blackmind, most of the belts I've seen online, will fit through your average blue-jeans belt loops width wise, but are thicker, sometimes multiple layers and alot better stitching. That way they do not sag or bend under the weight of your firearm.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:38 PM   #13
RWK

I carry large-frame handguns (Smith N Frame revolvers, CZ 75B, 1911A1s, and so forth) without ANY problem. A top-quality holster and an excellent belt are the keys (the belt is frequently neglected, but it should not be).
Old September 6, 2005, 02:10 PM   #14
Bo Hunter

Anyone have the C-Tac with the Velcro belt attachment? How does that work? Seems like it might be a bit of a pain as you change from say Kahki pants to jeans, or from an outside shirt, to a tucked shirt and your "girth" changes.

I also saw the mention on here somewhere of a nice slip in Kydex Holster, I think it was a Side Armor? They mentioned that it was a bit more convenient than something like the C-Tac as you can slip it on and off easily when its uncormfortable - getting in and out of your car for instance...

I kind of figured a good holster and belt pretty much negated the extra weight of the larger guns. I'll probably still go with the Glock 27 for my first gun, but it eliminates my carry fears to eventually upgrade to a bigger gun like a .45 in a metal frame...