The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 22, 2015, 01:22 PM   #26
KEYBEAR

REAL GUN Is this thread just to whine (no)

It is to ask and maybe see if someone has a fix . I have tried most of the stuff I knew to do .
Old March 22, 2015, 04:00 PM   #27
Cousin Pat

EPS

very high quality stuff in my experience with 20+ items over 5+ years
Old March 23, 2015, 01:28 PM   #28
ftttu

I finally made it out to EPS back in the late '80s after my grandfather told me several times about them, touting their work and telling me of the big people who have purchased from them. He was active hunter and gun enthusiast all of his life, and he new a lot of people with the same interests. Since then, I've purchased at least 4 holsters and a Ranger belt from them. They do good work but..............I'm sure they are past their glory days. Not telling people not to use them, but I think there are other leather shops out there of equal or better quality and customer service.
Old March 23, 2015, 06:09 PM   #29
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
It is to ask and maybe see if someone has a fix . I have tried most of the stuff I knew to do .
Did you try running it under the tap like I suggested? Has worked for me with holsters that were a little bit too tight.
Old March 23, 2015, 06:53 PM   #30
Real Gun

Quote:
..............I'm sure they are past their glory days. Not telling people not to use them, but I think there are other leather shops out there of equal or better quality and customer service.
Is that just speculation?
Old March 24, 2015, 11:26 AM   #31
LeverGunFan

Is there any chance that the holster was made for the smaller frame flat top (.357 or 44 special) Blackhawk instead of the large frame Blackhawk?

I have four EPS holsters, I'm happy with the quality and fit of all of them and I'll probably get another one. For anyone who orders from EPS, be patient and sign up for UPS My Choice so you get a shipping notice.
Old March 24, 2015, 12:22 PM   #32
H.W. French

Sorry to here about your trouble. They can be hard to get a hold of. Email has worked best for me.
I have lost count the number of holsters I have purchased from them over the years. I've only had a quality issue once and Don turned it around in two weeks. The quality has remained the same over at least the past ten years.
Ten weeks was the longest I ever had to wait and I was even living in Santa Teresa! For the record I always opt for lined.
Old March 24, 2015, 08:15 PM   #33
KEYBEAR

LeverGunFan This is the smaller Flat Top Blackhawk . I did not not have the holster lined maybe a mistake and the inside is ruff as hell . I bought some stuff from Galco and will see if that helps .
Old March 24, 2015, 08:39 PM   #34
OldMarksman
Staff

Just under two years ago, I bought a Smith and Wesson 686+ Pro Series--five inch barrel, tapered under lug, slab sided barrel. I wanted a holster.

I called El Paso Saddlery, and spoke to a man named Miguel. He recommended the Tom Threepersons holster. Those who do not know about Mr. Threepersons should do some reading.

The five inch Pro Series is non standard, so I had some concerns, but Miguel assured me that I would be satisfied.

I most certainly was--and am.

I am a very satisfied customer.
Old March 25, 2015, 11:50 AM   #35
TomADC

Quote:
This is the smaller Flat Top Blackhawk . I did not not have the holster lined maybe a mistake and the inside is ruff as hell . I bought some stuff from Galco and will see if that helps .
Keybear did you ask for it not to be lined? All of mine came standard lined?
Old March 25, 2015, 03:38 PM   #36
KEYBEAR

TomADC No I really did not think of a lining . Guess I should've ask more questions .
Old March 25, 2015, 06:12 PM   #37
Real Gun

Quote:
I ordered a shoulder holster (the Harding) for my Ruger Blackhawk 4.5 barrel from EL Paso Saddlery in Oct last year .
I just looked that up and now realize what you are talking about. The "Hardin" shoulder rig is listed as "lining standard" at $195.00 It is also shown with a tie down, which mitigates the need to grip the holster in order to withdraw the gun.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:19 PM   #38
KEYBEAR

Real Gun It has a Tie Down but it does not Tie the Holster down but ties the shoulder part so it stays on the shoulder . It also does not have a Lining I wish it did .
Old March 25, 2015, 07:55 PM   #39
KEYBEAR

As you can see the holster has a very short tie down on the bottom of the holster( about 6 inches) it would need to be 16 inches long to reach my belt . Then it would make it hard to bend side to side . It looks like it was never meant to tie to the belt . The gun does stay tight to body but the bottom of the holster is 10 inches or more above my belt .

Old March 25, 2015, 08:06 PM   #40
TomADC

Keybear my first thought is you are a very tall person.
I'd email EPS and ask why your holster isn't lined, perhaps a opps on the line and they will make it good. I do like the holster, also the Doc Holiday model. The Harding looks a lot more secure than the Doc Holiday model though, maybe I'll look into the DH model for my Blackhawk.
Old March 25, 2015, 09:03 PM   #41
KEYBEAR

TOM I am 6'1" and the gun is right under my arm pit about 3 inches . It sets very close to the body and is very comfortable to carry . The problem starts when you try to draw it out . I hold the bottom of the holster and still need to jerk it out it is not smooth at all . I will get it working for me going to have some stuff in a day or two to slick it up .
Old March 25, 2015, 09:42 PM   #42
TomADC

More I look at that design I see the problem you are having no way to adjust the height of where it sits that large loop locks it into your armpit.
Maybe old Harding was real short! 6-1 is only a inch taller than Iam.
I use Blackrocks Leather-n-Rich to finish or renew leather.
Good luck getting this thing to work, maybe extend that tiedown strap so it works.
Old March 25, 2015, 10:43 PM   #43
KEYBEAR

Tom the part that goes over the shoulder is laced at the top but not enough leather to make it set lower very little adjustment . I am big in the shoulders and it does fit tighter than I like . If I can make the gun come out smoother it will be fine I hope . One other smaller problem is it has 6 loops for shells and that is fine but they are on the top to the back . I would need to remove the holster to get to them . ( very poor idea)
Old March 26, 2015, 05:54 PM   #44
Driftwood Johnson

So did you try the water treatment??????????????????
Old March 27, 2015, 12:31 PM   #45
ftttu

Real Gun, when I talk about EPS's glory days, I'm talking about back in the day, way before the Internet, when "big"(famous) ordered from them and it was made known to those in the know and/or to the general public.

I was surprised EPS was mentioned here in this forum so I was surprised when it was. I've been to untold number of gun shows and a few shooting events in my almost 52 years, and in all that time I've never heard EPS ever muttered or have ever noticed their wares displayed or sold other than at their shop. Not that that means anything other than I have heard other fine leather workers' items touted in all that time.

My only knowledge of EPS came from my grandfather as mentioned above before I ever made the trip out there to make my first order. While I was happy with the quality of my duty holster, duty belt and mag holder, I've seen just as good and better work from others. I was happy enough to go back other times, the latest in '13 for a concealed holster and mag holder for my plainclothes assignment I had. Again I was happy but I've seen better work elsewhere.

I'm sure they have their differing levels of quality when more money and prestige is an issue. I'm just a lowly public servant so their "good stuff" is out of my reach. Again, I'm not telling anyone to not use them, just that just because it has the oval stamp on it doesn't make it is necessarily better than other's offerings out there.