The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2012, 05:42 PM   #26
SIGSHR

I trim 357 until it falls below Minimum OAL.
Old March 15, 2012, 06:18 PM   #27
m&p45acp10+1

For .221 Rem Fireball I will let you know later. I have over 100 cases that have not ben anneled, and have well over 30 firings, and are still going strong. I full length resize them ever time as well. A few have split at the casemouth after sizing a couple of months ago. I use the paper clip test to check for head seperation.

For pistol .38 spcl will reload till they split at the case mouth, as well as most .357 mag. I had a few .41 mag cases split at the mouth after 20 reloads. Many that I have I quit counting at 50 reloads. None have had to be trimmed. 9mm, and .45 acp I do not know. I just pick up all the brass around me at the range. I tend to come home with a few more pounds of brass than I took to the range.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #28
armoredman

jimbob, I had a gent tell me once that he just listens when the rattle together, because a bad case "just sounds wrong". Since I know VERY few reloaders personally, I can't be sure what everyone else does.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:03 AM   #29
chills1994

yeah, I can hear the bad cases, the ones that have split or about to split when I use that bingo roller thing to separate out the walnut shell media from the brass.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:24 AM   #30
ScottRiqui

By any chance, do the bad cases sound a little more "dead" - perhaps make a lower-pitch sound when they rattle against another case?
Old March 16, 2012, 01:55 PM   #31
That'll Do

For pistols, I use the brass until the case mouth splits, or the primer pockets become loose. For loads that are at, or near maximum, I'll load the brass twice, then relegate it to mid-range or weaker loadings.

Rifle brass is shot on average 3-4 times (I load for ARs in 5.56 NATO), as it does get worked a good bit more during firing and sizing.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:54 PM   #32
Cornbread

In the picture on the bottom right you can see one that was loaded one time to many . The one on the top right I had caught and scraped. You can see the bright ring at the base. This target has 9 holes in it . Shot 8 rounds zeroing scope on a 22-250 last 3 were in the 1 inch square at a 100 yards. Patched the target. Went back to make sure those were no fluke. Fired one more round. The one hole you see came from the case that separated.. End of shooting front of case stayed in the chamber. Bore snake from muzzle swept it out. (after I got home) It will be with me next time. I don’t cull brass until I absolutely have to even then I miss one or two.

Last edited by Cornbread; March 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:33 PM   #33
superbee68

superbee68

what kind of rifle do you use? i've found that if you don't load to hot you can load several times depending on if you neck size or full length size. always inspect your cases after fireing. semi auto rounds are full length sized and dont seem to last as long as neck sized cases. if your shooting a bolt gun just neck size and crimp for uniform pressures and accuracy. i shoot a 243 win. alot and i've learned that speed isnt everything. i dont max. load any of my weapons. i'm a disabled vet on a fixed income. so i from necessity must make things last. if a load is maxed out at ,say 3100 fps,remember theres nothing out there that can duck a bullet at 2800 fps. good luck and good shootin.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:57 PM   #34
superbee68

superbee68

what kind of rifle do you use? i've found that if you don't load to hot you can load several times depending on if you neck size or full length size. always inspect your cases after fireing. semi auto rounds are full length sized and dont seem to last as long as neck sized cases. if your shooting a bolt gun just neck size and crimp for uniform pressures and accuracy. i shoot a 243 win. alot and i've learned that speed isnt everything. i dont max. load any of my weapons. i'm a disabled vet on a fixed income. so i from necessity must make things last. if a load is maxed out at ,say 3100 fps,remember theres nothing out there that can duck a bullet at 2800 fps. good luck and good shootin.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:14 AM   #35
PPBart

Quote:
Annealing is using heat to soften work hardened brass....... never done it with pistol brass ...... http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
Thanks for the answer and link -- good article.
Old March 19, 2012, 07:50 AM   #36
Bart B.

Some years ago, I and a friend each used a Federal .308 Win. brass case to see how many times it could be reloaded by full length sizing in a standard RCBS die with its neck lapped out to a couple thousandths smaller than loaded round neck diameter. We used max loads of IMR4895; he with Sierra 168 HPMK's and I with Sierra 165 SBT's. Neither of us annealed a case neck. Both rifles had standard SAAMI dimension spec chambers.

He tested his match rifle clamped in a machine rest at 100 yards. Got 57 reloads on his case before running out of powder at the range. His 57-shot group was well under 1/2 inch.

I loaded mine and another friend shot my match rifle in his underground 100 yard range from a rest atop a concrete bench chronographing each shot. We ran out of powder at 46 reloads on our single case. His group was under an inch. That case shortened in length a few thousanths after firing then grew a few more thousandths more after full length sizing. Fired case shoulder was set back a couple thousandths. Muzzle velocity spread was under 25 fps indicating neck tension remained quite constant from shot to shot.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:14 PM   #37
Jammer Six

Bart, I've often wondered if annealing does more harm than good, considering that manipulation of metal via heat benefits from precision.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:30 AM   #38
Cornbread

Bart all of the 22-250 brass in the picture of my earlier post is from the mid 80s . No telling how many times it has been reloaded. When I get ready to reload grab some brass check it load it . After shooting paper or whistle pigs put in the tumbler clean it up and dump it back in the bin.