The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 27, 2002, 04:26 PM   #51
krept

Interesting...

I could be very mistaken, but I think these guys (Devil Dogs? - gang NOT USMC) trained out of Roland Sarria's BRAUSA school when it was on the Tempe/Scottsdale border. For the record, Roland has said that he won't train gangmembers or anyone with a bad attitude. I don't know if that's true, but from what I heard and gather from speaking to him on the phone, Sarria is a great guy and it's a bummer if he was associated from training these people.
Old November 28, 2002, 08:32 PM   #52
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Re: Multiple opponents, I have two observations.

First, I know Kungfool's Grandmaster did in fact take on three young men who considered themselves formidable bar brawlers in their own right. I know one of them well, having worked with him this summer. His name is Dennis and he's from the Springfield, IL area. He told me the story about Grandmaster Perry whupping him and two of his friends in Pawnee, IL when a coworker was spouting about her TKD expertise.
Apparently, they did attack singly. Dennis' heart was not exactly in it, but his friend attacked the GM and got hurt, so he felt honor-bound to jump in. He now regrets it.

Geer,
I say this with all respect, but I think you should take your Russian friend's boasting with a grain of salt. Very few men who have killed three people with their bare hands are so glib, and his ultra-secret Combat Subset Systema seems pretty simplistic. Grab him by the throat and squeeze for 3-4 seconds? I think most people could figure out that sort of technique without a lot of training, and letting someone beat on you at will for a few seconds while you squeeze his buddy's throat isn't going to work well for most people (Darth Vader and the Terminator are notable exceptions.) Besides, have you ever taken a straight punch or kick to the heart? I have. It didn't kill me. I'm sure there are people out there (probably in KF's dojang) who could stop my heart if they could get a perfect, straight shot over the heart, but I wonder how Combat Systema gets that kind of shot?
Old November 30, 2002, 04:50 AM   #53
catechism

To answer that questions I would have to say that such a subjective question can have no correct answer.

Furthermore IMO MA is simply a hobby. No brand of MA makes you any more lethal than the other. In no way I'am I implying its a waste of time but it does cost in terms of time management.

I've done MA for a number of years and these days I don't have time for it. One day I will pick it up again.

Sometimes the best course for defense is that of self discipline and knowing when to keep your mouth shut. I have the greatest sparring partner for that, my wife.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:38 AM   #54
kungfool

martial arts a hobby?..............for some people maybe....for others it is a way of life...a way of staying in optimal physical condition.....a way to keep a warrior's mindset......a way to keep your self-defense skills honed (without having to go around looking for fights)........a way to keep your mind sharp as to the aspects of self-defense.........as you say IYO martial arts is just a hobby........but a good one........*g*

My wife is my sparring partner as well.....literally!.....we practice wrist locks and arn bars on each other.......cuts down on those verbal disagreements we have from time to time........(her tongue is sharper than my ginko!)
Closed Thread