The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2002, 06:19 PM   #1
Camshaft

help hunting coyotes

a friend of mine has asked me to come to his property and "kill all the coyotes i want," as they have killed a couple of his calfs. he has about 300 acres of dense woodland, with a few open field areas. at night, you can hear coyotes EVERYWHERE, from all directions, yet we have never once actually seen one, day or night. this is a golden opportunity for me, as i basically have free reign over his land. so how can i find some coyotes? keep in mind this is mainly dense forest, not plains. i will be using an AR-15.

thanks.
Old January 19, 2002, 07:15 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thee's a good bit of stuff in previous threads; try the search feature. Also,k there's a lot of stuff in archived posts at http://www.varminter.com

Okay. If you hunt at night, you'll need a scoped rifle, of course.

Calling: You can use any mini boombox, with tapes of, say, cottontail rabbit or "dominant male". If you can wire a speaker with maybe 50' of wire, you can sit back from the sound. You can control the length of calling, as well as volume...

Set up at the edge of a wooded area, overlooking an open area. Watch the wind. Coyotes may come in from any direction, but they will circle and approach the "bait" from downwind.

If you can shoot a rabbit and set the carcass by the speaker, it adds to the allure.

Use of lights: Don't just keep shining around, all the time. Call a minute or so. Sweep the light around and then turn it off and wait. Repeat the sequence. Keep the beam sorta high, so only the edge picks up their eyes and makes them glow. If you spot a coyote, don't shine the light directly in his eyes. If the range is within 40 yards or so, you don't need more than a standard three-cell flashlight.

You can also start a bait-point for daytime hunting. Just keep putting food scraps out in the same place, until they get used to coming to it.

Coyotes learn quickly. If you miss a shot, the odds are that the coyote will never again respond to a call or come to bait--certainly not in daylight.

They'll be more active after sunrise in the morning or before sundown, when the moon is getting full. During the dark of the moon, they generally operate more when it's well after dark.

I use a mouth-blown call quite a bit. If you get one, just try to make it sound like you think a wounded small animal would. It's not real critical during the "education" period of the coyote pack(s).

So there's a start.

Art
Old January 21, 2002, 12:11 PM   #3
biganimal

I agree with Art but we use a 1 million candle power light with a red lense. The dogs don't see the red for some reason. where are you hunting? Sounds like Paradise.
Old January 21, 2002, 06:37 PM   #4
Camshaft

big animal:
its on the AL/TN state line.
Old January 21, 2002, 10:25 PM   #5
Zorro

"Scoped Rifle" at night?

Nope! Shotgun or carbine, or Pistol.

12 Gauge and Turkey loads are about right.

30-30 works too
Old January 21, 2002, 11:04 PM   #6
biganimal

zorro
scoped rifle at night......heck yes .....been using them for over 25 years.....
Old January 22, 2002, 12:18 AM   #7
Zorro

Shotgun at night!

Snipers are for daytime!

Starlight Scopes are banned in California!

Might accidently shoot a politician for a good reason!

Like Gray "Waste 10 Billion Dollars" Davis!

California apparently runs on "Monopoly" money. That is why a 2 bedroom house cost $800,000 Dollars.

This state needs a reality check.

To uncle Sam: "Check Please?"
Old January 22, 2002, 05:33 PM   #8
biganimal

I can't see the iron sights at night but you turn on that million candlepower red light and a scoped rifle is perfect.

we can't use starlights here either and your politicians are on par with ours, ie., hillery clinton, shumer....etc....

shotguns are for the birds
Old January 22, 2002, 10:05 PM   #9
BIGR

I was interested in the Info on Coyotes myself. I have known for sometime that they have been around the house here. The other night confirmed it when I heard two or three of them yelping and howling. Looks like I need to get the varmit caller out and get serious. I have heard that is real hard to call them in during the day due to their excellent senses. Any great ideas on how to out smart them.
Old January 23, 2002, 02:10 AM   #10
Salt

If the Coyotes are a real problem then your farmer friend ought to get into trapping. Check out a magazine called FUR-FISH-GAME for more information on getting started.
Old January 23, 2002, 06:41 AM   #11
pawcatch

I second what Salt said,coyotes can be trapped year round in Alabama.I think The Trapper&Predator Caller is a magazine though.
Old January 23, 2002, 09:12 AM   #12
Kirk Keller

When I hunted coyote

It was on horseback with a 30-30. We'd walk the horses until we saw one and then run them until we'd closed enough distance to get a clean shot.

Did I mention that I'm from the high flatlands of New Mexico? And yes, members of my immediate family are professonial cowboys.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:06 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

BIGR: In view of whichever window is "best view", set out leftover food. Take a car battery and wire up a tail-light fixture. Put some red cellophane around the bulb, and put the light above the food scraps.

Remove window screen. Open window some six inches.

(If you're using hen scratch and a shotgun on doves, this is known as a "skillet shot".)

Art
Old January 23, 2002, 05:02 PM   #14
biganimal

daytime canning

coyotes can be called in the daytime. We do it when I have to work the night shift. We use a rabbit squealer and a piece of fuzzy light weight material that looks like a bunny . It is mounted on a stick about 6" high and moves with the slightest breeze. Brings em in like flies to manure. Just beware of the wind direction and use a cover scent on yourself.
Old January 23, 2002, 08:03 PM   #15
BIGR

ART: That sounds almost as fun as shooting those pesty crows out the back door. Sounds like a great trick. We are going to have to do something around here or they are going to take over. Not many people hunt them where I live.

Thanks for the Info.........
Old January 26, 2002, 05:15 PM   #16
Birdhunter

If you're trying to attract them let your dog out. Around here coyotes ate one woman's ****z-Zhu, and attacked another man's 95 lb. Weimereiner. Both of these in their backyards and in the past few weeks. But being in a residential area we cannot hunt them. Nobody knows what to do.
Old January 26, 2002, 07:15 PM   #17
Kingcreek

Many years ago my cousin and I hunted coyotes at night with a mouth squeeler, one 12g shotgun, one .357 revolver and a couple flashlights. With a crusted snow covering the fields we would lie in irrigation ditches under an old white bed sheet. We would hear a coyote running in and wait until they were within range then sit up suddenly with our maglights and guns ready. Very exciting, especially the night we got run over by one when we waited too long.
I still daylight hunt with an old ps Olt bite-reed squeeler. I like it cause you can clamp down on it and make it squeek soft like a mouse or kitten. Really brings em in, esp the smart ones that seem to want to hang up about 200 yrds out.