The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
ncpatriot

.22 Magnum for CCW

A cop once told me a .22 magnum was not a bad choice for a SD pistol. I see Ruger offers a compact revolver for it.

A friend is getting CCW permit soon & is looking around. Anyone shot a lot with .22 mag? How do you like it? Viable for SD, CCW?
Old January 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2
kayakersteve

Size wise, there are much better choices, but as always ..... Any gun is better than no gun.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
twobit

For a super small "drop in your pocket" size, get a NAA Mini-Mag. Great for when your wearing shorts and tshirt. Makes a good BUG. 22mag is viable but not best. My collection of carry guns runs from 22mag, .380, .38spl. 9mm, 45 Colt.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
jmortimer

Really loud for what you get on the other end.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Vermonter

Nah

Why would you go for the LCR in 22 or mag when you could do. 38spl? I understand if the frame size were different but they aren't.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Budda

Good little round with lots of boom....sounds like a .357 and has very little recoil. Iwould not go look for trouble with it but if it finds you instead, the sound will make anyone stop and take notice.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Don P

The search function will yield a bunch of info and discussion on the 22 mag for self defense. It has been described as a wicked round for the damage it does. The only down fall I see and have is that it is a rim fire cartridge
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
tlm225

An OK choice if the user is unable to handle a larger, more effective caliber.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
bigghoss

Stick to either 9mm or .38special or larger for a primary SD weapon. Six shots of .22magnum is better than nothing but it's sounds like a good way to lose a gunfight to me.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Short answer; NO....

As Massad Ayoob, gun writer & use of force expert says;
Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns.
The .22magnum is not the best round for personal protection. I'd suggest to any new license holders or gun buyers to get a .38spl +P or maybe a .380acp as the lowest handgun caliber.
I don't go by what cops may or may not say. They can offer advice just like anyone but I wouldn't stick to it.
FWIW; a ex-cop I worked with in 2005 during a storm recovery detail(Wilma), told our security group about a large male(6'06") who was shot by his wife in a domestic dispute. She only fired 1 round of .22short to the center of the chest. The ex-cop said the guy fell over dead.

CF
Old January 9, 2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Carry_24/7

I sometimes carry an NAA Pug in .22 mag when I'm really dressed down in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops...you know, when those bigger/heavier guns aren't so easy to carry.

I say have a mouse gun for such casual occasions. My carry goes up from there to LCP, LCR, PPS-9, 4" LW 1911 and up. The main thing is have a gun...
Old January 9, 2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Niantician

I dont take cops advice on much that doesn't concern traffic laws.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Rifleman1952

It's my understanding that Winchester has come out with a new .22 magnum round in their PDX-1 line. Supposedly this new round has ballistics similar to that of a typical .380 round. If those reports are true, then Winchester's .22 magnum round may be worthy of consideration for PD. Personally though, I would still rather stick with the tried and true .38 special +P rounds from Speer in their Short Barrel line.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
I dont take cops advice on much that doesn't concern traffic laws.
Sage advice.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:14 PM   #15
ncpatriot

Thanks, it had been awhile since I talked to anyone on this. I have a .38 myself and like it. S & W Airweight. Accurate enough for close range SD, manageable recoil (nylon grips) and not too bulky or heavy to carry.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:51 PM   #16
jason_iowa

If you knew a 100% that you were going to get in a gun fight but could only bring a hand gun that could be concealed and something you could lug around all day what would it be? That's what you should carry. For me its the same side arm I carried into combat around the world a sig p220. For others It may be a glock 17 or a 1911 in 40sw. I know of no one that would say a 22mag snub... same goes for 380, 25, 32 etc etc.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:03 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

+1....

+1
Use enough gun. Your carry or defense weapon should be the largest caliber in the smallest size that you can shoot/use properly.
I've read a gun magazine article where the writer said to carry the largest gun you can to "scare off" or intimidate a possible attacker.
This is BS. A real gun fight follows what I call the 3x3x3 Rule; 3 rounds in 3 sec at approx 3ft. You should plan to draw & fire in a lethal force incident.

Clyde
Old January 10, 2013, 12:30 AM   #18
4thHorseman

If you have to use a 22 mag ..fine. If you don't, even better.
I have seen many times in print (take it for what it is worth) the smallest defense caliber from a handgun should be no smaller than a 38. I believe rightly so.
The problem lies when the bullet does not accomplish its purpose and the attacker overpowers you and now you become the victim of your own weapon in his hands.
The cop should of told you that too.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old January 10, 2013, 01:39 AM   #19
ClydeFrog

Stats don't lie....

I read a recent stat that approx 10-15% of sworn LE shot in their body armor or wounded in line of duty shootings are shot with their own sidearm.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Laz

Quote:
Stats don't lie....
Stats don't lie. But, people use stats to lie all the time.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
FWIW; a ex-cop I worked with in 2005 during a storm recovery detail(Wilma), told our security group about a large male(6'06") who was shot by his wife in a domestic dispute. She only fired 1 round of .22short to the center of the chest. The ex-cop said the guy fell over dead.
Two words, shot placement
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:03 AM   #22
Two Old Dogs

The .22 Magunm with the proper bullet is more effective than the .38 Special 150 grain Lead Round Nose inside 10 yards.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:19 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Evidence for such a global conclusion?
Old January 10, 2013, 11:25 AM   #24
bikerbill

+1 Carry 24/7 ... when I'm in shorts and a tank top and around my house or neighborhood, my NAA Pug is always in my pocket, loaded with Hornady's new 45gr Critical Defense round ... If I'm heading out, my Kahr 9mm is on my belt, as it is this very minute ... I love the Pug, shoot it a lot, but unless you're amazingly sensitive to recoil (elderly, weak grip, arthritis), there are lightweight, small more-powerful alternatives like the Kahr, a Smith j-frame or any of the flyweight .380s around ... I'd rather have the Pug than nothing, but since I have alternatives, it's not my first choice ...
Old January 10, 2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Skippymjp

I plan to get one of the LCR 22WMR myself. Right now I'm carrying the same thing in 22LR. But...that is after I stepped down from a S&W 642 because of arthritis in my wrists. The semi-auto route wasn't any better for me because the tap-rack-bang was nearly as difficult as shooting the .38.

But, one thing I did discover...there seems to be a great dearth of instances of an armed citizen being harmed when their 22 failed to stop an attack. In fact, I haven't found one...