The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 22, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

Input on a used Ruger GP100 4" barrel

Ive steered away from revolvers for a while now. Had 2 good experiences and one bad. The bad experience was a Taurus model 66, 6" barrel and the cylinder eventually seized up on me and wouldnt cycle/rotate.

I owned a Ruger SP101 2" snubby and also a Taurus Airlight .357 mag and LOVED them both.

So...cruising my local gun shop the other day I noticed a beautiful piece. Polished stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. So, I picked it up and held it. Appearance-wise its in great shape. It has VERY little scoring and the cylinder was tight as hell...no play at all once locked.

This is almost a no-brainer but for a used price of $495 - is this model worthy? I loved my SP101 and so far read up some good reviews of the GP100 series. Anyone with experience on this model wanna weigh in? I would love to own a .357 magnum after 3+ years without one.

Thanks
Old October 22, 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Stressfire

At $495, I'd get it
Old October 22, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
laytonj1

I really like my 3" GP. Accurate (~2.5" groups at 25 yards), reliable, good looking.
That said, I think $495 is a little high unless that's OTD price. I paid $425 OTD for mine and you can get a new one for around $550 to $600.

Jim
Old October 22, 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

$495 seems a tad high for a used GP. With that said, the GP100 is one of the two best .357s on the market. If you loved your SP, you will really like the GP. In my opinion, there is no comparison between the SP and GP and I own a SP and think its a great gun.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5
StainlessSteel215

Thanks guys, thats my dilemma...
I could potentially pick up a new one for just under $600 so in my opinion...a used piece for $495 is ok but not "great". Certainly not a steal, but ok.

Glad the GP has some decent feedback from a bunch of places. Been looking into it all day!
Old October 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
warningshot

Buy it with a plan...

Buy the GP and shoot it alot. Then when the opportunity comes up, buy a 4 inch Service Sx and shoot it alot. Then sell your second choice. I like the GP 100, but I love the Service Six. It sure is easy spending other people's money.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:03 PM   #7
warningshot

As I see it...

GP 100s kick around here and there, they are price sensative, while the Speed and Security Sixes appear to be over-priced but sell quickly. And no, I'm not always wearing a tin foil hat when I see this happening.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Crankgrinder

this lookslike a job for gp100man! no really, just check the top strap real good. the part thats just above the forcing cone sticking out of the breach end of the barrel but of course you know that. Id try to negotiate for $50 myself since its used. While checkiing it out lock it up on each chamber making sure its acceptably tight on each one, check the pin and all that you should be good to go. for the record my 2012 6" was exactly $600.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
coyota1

Money talks. I would low ball them by at least 50 dollars, and lay cash on the table. Ad far as the GP goes, I own one with a 4" barrel. I love the way it handles with full house loads. If fits my hand like it was custom made for me, and last but not least it's tough as a junk yard dog. I purchased mine with hogue grips, and for me it handles better than the factory grips. I also believe they absorb shock better.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:20 AM   #10
StainlessSteel215

Thanks guys, price is only one of the key factors. I just want to ensure that this model has a good reputation for durability, accuracy, and reliability. Seems like it got high marks from those who own/have owned them. Im ready to pick up a wheel gun again after years without one....its a really slick looking gun!
Old October 23, 2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Venom1956

Personally I'd vote that its High as well. Last New GP100 I got was the Royal Pheonix a while back. I paid closer to 400 for that NIB and its a special edition.

That said. I find the OLDER the GP100 is the better the workmanship seems to be. Newer ones seem to lack some of the attention the older ones received but thats just my experience.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 23, 2012, 11:57 AM   #12
coyota1

Quote:
Newer ones seem to lack some of the attention the older ones received but thats just my experience.

What specifically do you mean?
Old October 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Venom1956

my older 1989 model i got new has much less tooling marks in the gun over all. trigger ootb felt smoother then my phoenix. most apparent was the front of the cylinder. older one is smooth and matches the gun while the newer has tool marks everywhere.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 23, 2012, 01:04 PM   #14
coyota1

Well after reading your post I got crazy and called Ruger to find out when my GP was made, and the man said it was made in January of 05. I don't see any tooling marks, and the trigger is nice and crisp. I am guessing it is between 4-5 lbs. It is possible the trigger was polished by a gunsmith and is not the factory trigger. This gun came from the factory with a Hogue finger grip. I thought the grip was an aftermarket one, but I was wrong. The rep said that Hogue makes all the grips that come with the GP.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Venom1956

yeah don't get me wrong both are quite alright but in comparison the older one is 'nicer' by a small margin. I would search for an older one then a new one is all.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:15 PM   #16
StainlessSteel215

I kind of like that about the "newer" models. They are VERY basic in appearance and I like that. The one Im looking into has the black rubber grips and the wood grip center. Its very basic.....but attractive in its simplicity
Old October 23, 2012, 01:51 PM   #17
Venom1956

If it has the older rubber grip with the wood insert those grips are great. I find them FAR more comfortable then the newer ones with the Hogue grips. The 'bump' on the back of their grips makes it uncomfortable and is unnecessary for me.

If you really like the Feel you can order the older Super Redhawk grips which interchange on the GP100 they have a insert to decrease felt recoil and also can come with laminate grey inserts.
Old October 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #18
coyota1

Grips make all the difference in the world in how well you shoot a handgun. When I shoot full house loads the hump didn't bother me, until you brought it brought it to my attention.
Old October 23, 2012, 02:32 PM   #19
papadork

$495 seems a little much. I bought my GP100 6" new for about $550 at a gun show last summer. I have about 400 rounds through it now. Great gun!
Old October 23, 2012, 02:38 PM   #20
raindog

I agree with what's been said:

(1) The GP100 is a great gun.

(2) $495 for used is perhaps slightly high. I've seen them for under $450 used in great condition. I think they go for around $550-600 new...? Haven't looked in a while.

You might post a wanted ad on forums (here or a geographically-oriented one near where you live). Sometimes people who would never get around to posting a for sale ad will come out of the woodwork.
Old October 24, 2012, 12:18 PM   #21
Venom1956

@Coyota
Quote:
Well after reading your post I got crazy and called Ruger to find out when my GP was made, and the man said it was made in January of 05. I don't see any tooling marks, and the trigger is nice and crisp. I am guessing it is between 4-5 lbs. It is possible the trigger was polished by a gunsmith and is not the factory trigger. This gun came from the factory with a Hogue finger grip. I thought the grip was an aftermarket one, but I was wrong. The rep said that Hogue makes all the grips that come with the GP.
No I am almost certain that it was LNIB the man who bought it originally hid it under his bed from his wife until she found it and forced him to sell it. So I got it like new not even fired didn't even leave the box!

Quote:
Grips make all the difference in the world in how well you shoot a handgun. When I shoot full house loads the hump didn't bother me, until you brought it brought it to my attention.
Lol between these two posts I feel like I'm ruining you GP100 love! That wasn't my intention I promise! I'm sure your GP100 is a great specimen!
Old October 24, 2012, 02:31 PM   #22
coyota1

Venom1956,

Well, I still have an infatuation for my GP hump or not. I could switch to the wood insert ones for about 25.00, but I still like the finger grip. I'll take a rasp to the hump! But seriously I think it fills my hand.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:38 PM   #23
StainlessSteel215

And just like that....its gone from my life....

I didnt move on it fast enough, sold last night. Ahh well, at least now I know after reading up on it and feedback on here that its a decent model. Thanks guys
Old October 24, 2012, 02:57 PM   #24
Venom1956

GP100s aren't exactly scarce man, don't sweat it.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:15 PM   #25
Stressfire

Quote:
GP100s aren't exactly scarce man, don't sweat it
Nope, not at all - just about every vendor at the last gun show I went to had at least one of every barrel length. I got the 3" but I think I should have went for the 4"

As for reliability, "built like a tank" would be an understatement. Heck, you could probably run one over with a tank and pick it up and shoot it.

Hyperbole? Yeah....but not by much

Mine came with the newer Hogue grips, but have been on the lookout for the old style. I like the look a lot better