The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2000, 12:07 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

For those who reload shotgun...
What are my options as far as wads for 2.75 magnum loads? As far as I can see only the Win WAA12R "red" wads can handle the heaviest shot payloads, as the supply of Activ hulls and wads seems to have dried up. All of the other manufacturers seem to list wads that handle loads to only about 1.25oz of shot. What are some good wad options for 1.25-1.875oz loads? I'm using two batches of hulls-Federal HiPower hunting hulls (loaded with Gold Medal data), and Winchester single piece dove and quail hulls. My interest is in creating low cost 2.75" magnums for turkey hunting, using 1.5-1.625oz of #5 shot. Any advice for a relatively new shotgun reloader????
Thanks in advance guys.
Old December 6, 2000, 08:56 PM   #2
Big Bunny

PS ...I use the green(was red)WAA 1-1/4oz wad for all 3" loads without any problems or leading, [up to 1-5/8 load of #5BRit through a Hastings 'Turkey' choke.] The bit of "unsupported" shot column doesn't seem to matter.

Same goes for using 1/2oz wads for .410 3/4oz loads.

Of course all the components are not available here and with the aussie$ at .55c US -ordering from US is not an option either!!

BB

Old December 6, 2000, 11:48 PM   #3
DaMan

Poodleshooter, it seems that fewer and fewer stores are carrying shotgun loading components. When they do, you usually have a $hi++y selection of components. I would recommend mail ordering wads. Preferably from a nearby state (to avoid state tax and minimize shipping costs).

WAA12R and RP12 are the most popular wads for "heavy metal" in the 2 3/4" hulls. I don't know if they still make the Activ T-42. 1 1/2oz. is about the maximum payload you can load from the hulls you mentioned.

However, a word of caution! Unless things have changed, the Fed. Hi-Power and the Fed. Gold Medal are different cases and require different load recipes. The Gold Medal has much more case capacity and you might risk a "kaboom" if you are using data for this case in the Hi-Power case. Do your cases have a fiber base wad?

Also, unless there's been a recent change, the Winchester "Dove Loads" used the the Polyformed Plastic case with a white plastic base wad. The Winchester Compression formed case is the one piece tapered case and the basewad is red. These two cases use slightly different load data.

Get a flashlight and check out those base wads!

Modern shotguns are very forgiving of hot reloads, but they will come apart, if overloaded!

Regards! DaMan

Old December 7, 2000, 04:34 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Thanks for the info DaMan-the Federal "Hi-Power" hulls seem to have a flat base wad, but I couldn't tell if it was fiber or not. It seemed more like hard plastic. They are recent manufacture, bought as a bulk pack at WalMart. I used about 21.5 grains of Green Dot just to be on the safe side. This seems to fall as a moderate load for GoldMedal's (23.5grmax) and near a max for HiPowers. The data sheet on my bag of Fed 12S3 wads indicates that their data is good for all Federal hulls! Scary. Luckily I checked my "Modern Reloading for Shotguns" manual for a second opinion.
The Winchester hulls I have are marked as "dove and quail" but seem to have the smooth sided compression formed case (one piece plastic hull that concaves at the bottom-i.e. no seperate fiber or plastic "ring" type basewad.) Maybe Winchester is making more of their cheap dove loads with decent hulls??
Another question for you-some of these 1x fired Winchester hulls have tiny rips at the top of the hull-on the crimp. It seems like they would still crimp well, but I'm still new at shotgun reloading. Should I toss these?
Old December 8, 2000, 11:31 AM   #5
DaMan

Poodleshooter the way you described the Winchester "Dove and Quail" load you have, Winchester MAY have changed to the AA type compression formed shell for their bargain line shells. They used to use a two piece plastic hull with a white base piece. These were sold as "Dove and Quail", "Rabbit and Squirrel", and "Pheasant". To be sure, try to get some known "AA" trap or skeet hulls and make a careful visual comparison or have somebody who loads a lot of AA's look at your hulls.

Your Federal hulls should also be of one-piece construction. Once again compare these carefully with some KNOWN Gold Medal hulls. Your loads may be a couple grains to hot, if you are using the old type Fed. Hi-Power hulls that I'm thinking of.

As far as the little splits near the crimp, I'd just toss 'em. They wouldn't be dangerous to reload, but you won't get a solid crimp (which assures a clean/consistant burn) and you may even get a crimp that will open up and let shot drop out!

I reload Win. AAs when I find them, but prefer the Rem. "STS" hulls or Federal "Gold Medal" because they hold up better under repeated reloading.

For "Turkey" loads, I think it's just better to buy a few factory loads rather than a bunch of components for reloading these.

Here's some sources for shotgun reloading components"

http://www.precisionreloading.com
http://www.ballisticproducts.com

Regards! DaMan

[Edited by DaMan on 12-08-2000 at 01:45 PM]